Good kit I’ve used this year

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
Browning Sphere Bomb rod
Preston ICS cage feeder, method feeder
Preston ONbox seatbox and accessories (discontinued line)
Shimano Speedmaster 10ft feeder (method)
Drennan method feeders 15g and bigger
Browning Sphere 11ft feeder
Preston Supera SL 11ft feeder (silvers)
I've also got the Drennan Acolyte Plus 11ft Feeder rod, which I generally use on commercial waters. The Browning Bomb rod is the 50g one which can easily lob a small method or cage feeder 30 meters, and a bomb or olivette even further. Both rods have a superb action and give you a great "fish feel" when playing. The 11ft rod has a c/w of 70g and will cast further than 40 meters. The Shimano Speedmaster won over the Drennan Acolyte plus version (another top class short range rod for commercials), not because of it's weight but casting distance, power, and playing action.

I use Shimano's small baitrunner reels, the X Aero, and the STFB (what great value those STFB's are) together with Browning's Sphere MgTi reel for my feeder work. The larger 4000 STFB I use for distance work on my Cast'izm rod. Also I find the Daiwa Legalis match and feeder reels no slouches either. For float work I've used, Drennan's Acolyte Ultra 13ft and Daiwa's TD commercial 10'6 rod and reel

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Bits of kit i have used in 2019 that has been money well spent

10ft Preston Supera Rod
Centris reel range
Middy Muscle tech 6m pole, extended to 7m. Great for short pole work, strong light and super slim.

Best buy for me, Drennan Combat Carp 14.5m Pole, for £600 it handles everything i need it for.

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
I've also got the Drennan Acolyte Plus 11ft Feeder rod, which I generally use on commercial waters. The Browning Bomb rod is the 50g one which can easily lob a small method or cage feeder 30 meters, and a bomb or olivette even further. Both rods have a superb action and give you a great "fish feel" when playing. The 11ft rod has a c/w of 70g and will cast further than 40 meters. The Shimano Speedmaster won over the Drennan Acolyte plus version (another top class short range rod for commercials), not because of it's weight but casting distance, power, and playing action.

I use Shimano's small baitrunner reels, the X Aero, and the STFB (what great value those STFB's are) together with Browning's Sphere MgTi reel for my feeder work. The larger 4000 STFB I use for distance work on my Cast'izm rod. Also I find the Daiwa Legalis match and feeder reels no slouches either. For float work I've used, Drennan's Acolyte Ultra 13ft and Daiwa's TD commercial 10'6 rod and reel
I also have the 10ft speedmaster and 11ft Acolyte plus, they are both amazing rods I love using.

ulladubulla

Luke D.
Site Supporter
Rive R16 Pro pole - Easy to fish at 16m and can do it all - genuinely the best pole I have used.
Acolyte 13ft Compact Ultras - make river fishing easy and for the money is there anything better than acolytes?
Drennan ASF2 Pole Floats - Great canal floats
MAP Power Optex line - not fashionable but I won’t use anything else.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Middy MX-100 chair with all the bits and bobs, worth every penny

Tony
I liked the look of that set up too, it would have been a lot cheaper than my seatbox. Sadly, when I tried it out in the shop, I was unable to get out of the chair

david white

Site Supporter
Don’t tend to fix what ain’t broke some of my old gear I still use by choice there may well be far far better products around now but what I use suits

I have bought various Cadence rods and some CS5 reels in the last year or so
as such I can highly recommend the 11 ft #1 float rod and 11 ft #1 feeder rod both are simply superb to use and the quality is right up there so they represent excellent value for money in my book

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tbf 2 out of 3 of the rods I actually got new this year were to replace broken rods. I generally only buy gear when I need it but I’ve got most the standard bases covered now so starting to look more into the nice to haves these days. You can never really have enough tackle anyway!

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
drennan Acolyte 13ft compact ultra (cheshire cat everytime i use it)
Cadence Cs 5 reels (very recent bargain purchase @£25 per piece - absolute give away, reel great for light/med feeder work)
Garbolino legless side tray with hood - no more narrow peg problems.
My own wire stem chianti style floats, no memory black nickel wire has been a revelation !

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Agreed. All the rods I've been using for the last 20 (and in one case 30) years are now pretty much knackered, or unsuitable for commercial waters. Over the last few years I have been replacing them with the modern equivalent(s) except for the commercial rods which did not exist back in the day. Initially, I just started with cheaper rods like the Shimano Forcemaster, and Drennan's Red Range series(which I found great fun), but I soon realised that I needed to fork out a bit more for a rod that would last me more than one or two seasons. It means that, to get the best results from my limited available time at the bank or shore, I have to have two different rod types. A bit costly but what the heck, having more stuff isn't a bad thing, and I can, and do (if I want) sell or donate rods and reels, not forgetting terminal tackle items which seem to have their own spawning sessions

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
A 1937 Hardy "The Match Roach" cane rod, matched with a Speedia reel.
A feeling like no other.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Mostly Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River rods with Youngs Atom centrepins strapped to them. When I did venture onto stillwater (mostly April though to August), I rather enjoyed using the Daiwa Matchwinner reels that Hull Angling Centre knocked out for a song. Even better when it was strapped to a Browning Sphere Hotrods Silver Edition fishing light for big roach.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I've been dreaming of big Roach... Got a couple of trips to the Wensum lined up after Christmas... Looks like my new Avon will get a run out, or one of my finer tipped cane users... I think reel wise, it'll be a Speedia Narrow Drum, or a Youngs Rapidex.. 2.5lb mainline and a VERY light hooklink...

IamAarron

Middy MX-100 chair with all the bits and bobs, worth every penny

Tony

Where did you get yours from I can't find ANY in stock anywhere in the country its driving me mad. My son wants one and I'd rather him be fishing than playing ps4

Thanks

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Drennan acolyte 17ft float rod...amazing light rod for its length

I had one of those, and snapped off the top 3" the first time I used it.
:oops:

But I put the tip ring back on, and now it's called the Drennan Accolyte 17ft Compact.
:cool:

tee.bee

Site Supporter
13ft cadence no 3 feeder rod great rod on the river and its action is great its also improved my casting don't know why but it has

nejohn

Site Supporter
Got a few things that have surprised me and have really enjoyed using lately
14ft Rive R waggler rod, hold it all day long and was dealt with everything from 2oz Dace on the Wye to 8lb carp on a commie without any issues at all
Nu Fish defenda keep net really good quality and well thought out design
Shimano Tribal 2 rod holdall it has been brilliant as a grab and go kit for short sessions
Preston Dura wagglers
Nash ZT down jacket
Guru short range catapult ,couldn't get a Drennan to replace the one I kicked into the pond so went with the Guru and it has been great.....the future is bright......the future is orange

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Was quite impressed with Browning's Black Viper compact 940 the other day when I was fishing around 50 meters for bream. Good retrieve and nice, even in windy conditions, with light line - no line spill. I'm ignoring that I split my rod tip that day which cost me £28.99 for a replacement