Good Evening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Hi, new member, excellent site, lively forum.
Bad weather making fishing hard in my neck of the woods lately.
The fish don't know whether to feed, shoal up or what.
Anybody got any good tips for fishing swollen rivers, I've heard smelly baits good for chub, but what about silver fish?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Terrier and welcome onboard [:)]

Silver fish in swollen rivers - Try using maggot or castor in the slacks and around the edges where the river pace is slower.
For good quality roach and dace a red worm with the tail end nipped off can work where all other baits fail. Feed this with a steady helping of loose chopped worm int the slacks.
If the river is still a bit fast, use a bait dropper to get the loose feed straight on to the bottom where it will trundle along from there [:)]

Dave

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Thanks for the advice Dave, will come in useful.
At the moment the advice could be very useful after all the rain we've had.
All local rivers are well coloured and rising.
I'm more of a pond and res angler, but keep telling myself I should brush up on the "pure" art of river fishing.
Once again, thanks for the tips Dave.
Terrier.
[8D]

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Your welcome Terrier,

I went over the Nidd, Wharfe and parts of the Derwent during the last few days and they all looked as thought they were heading to the tops of the banks.
One of the easiest approaches to a swollen river is to leave most of your gear in the car boot and then just take a wander with some bait, a rod and <<here's hoping [:D]>> a landing net

Have fun,

Dave

Steve

Hi Terrier,
Welcome.

I've just returned after a weeks Holiday just outside of York.

To say the rivers are a bit swollen is like saying Atilla The Hun was a bit agressive!!!!!!

I fished the Derwent when I should really have gone white water rafting[:(] And as for the Ouse wow......

That said I love that part of the country, fished a few of the ponds with sound advice from the MD crew, loved it to bits. Caught a few fish too[:D]

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Steve, I must admit, we're not too short of fishing venues oop north, as Dave would probably agree.
A lot of the ponds are the legacy of our once world renowned textile industry.
The once heavily polluted rivers are now running cleaner than ever.

Steve

Not too short of fishing venues, how many understatements can one person make!!!?

I made a fatal mistake of going into a tackle shop in Selby (also a lovely place) and asking if he knew of any local day ticket waters, well an hour later I came away with more waters than I knew what to do with.

Not moaning though, boy did he know his stuff.

As a result fished one of the nicest places I've seen in a long time, Barlow nature reserve. Lovely layout and the fish were in A1 condition, and at 2.50 per day, as cheap as chips!!!![:D]

Steve

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Glad you enjoyed it, speaking of fishing the Ouse, it has a tendency to flood very easily,especially in York. In fact there's a pub called the Kings Arms on the banks of the river which floods regularly. You could probably bag up inside the pub.

You can't beat dipping your waggler!

Steve

I went on one of the boat trips with the kids and they said as much. 4 times a year the guide said. I took a picture of the Kings Arms, it is said that the water is to have reached the horizontal beam half way up the house.

The land lord has a specially made bar that he takes apart and moves upstairs when there is a flood warning. It is apparently one of the few pubs with a cellar upstairs.

Steve

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
I suppose you did the Jorvik bit, Castle museum, railway museum, and various other touristy things whilst you were there did you Steve.
Must admit it's a fine City.

Terrier

Steve

Yep,
Plus fishin of course.

It's the second time we've been that way this year, we went to Runswick Bay in the summer. Sea fished off the wall at Whitby harbour and the river Esk at Ruswarp, what a fantastic river that was caught my first Grayling and wild Trout there.

I was reet chuffed.[:D]

Steve

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You don't mean this Kings Arms ? [:D]

Dave

Terrier

I'll have a beer!
Yes, the very same Kings Arms. Great piccy Dave.
I've heard he can't get insurance for the pub any more, I wonder why?

Terrier.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I take it the local Brewery had an overflow then Dave?? (looks like the kind of stuff you tykes would drink)

Welcome on board Terrier.

Oh & the best way of fishing flooded rivers......... with a big net downstream & a few sticks of TNT upstream [:D]

Alan

Just cos i ain't postin, it don't mean i ain't watchin

Status
Not open for further replies.