Good deed done, Sorry Halfords.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The boss wanted something from Homebase at Selby yesterday so I ran her through in my van as she couldnt get what she wanted ( garden tool store ) in her car. As is usual these days I got dragged around Homebase with no garden tool store in sight. She asked but apparently they've none in until after Christmas now. So with that we came away or at least I did ........ " Ill just look around these shops Michael, go get yourself a coffee from McDonald's Ill not be long " How many times do I hear that. Having parted with £1.49 for a luke warm coffee I made my way back to my van. Thats when I saw an elderly lady and what looked like her granddaughter looking at their cars rear light. I smiled and asked if they were ok. She asked whether I knew what bulb she needed for the rear light. I said .... They will look it up in Halfords for you love. So she disappeared into Halfords and I went about drinking my cold coffee. Five minutes had passed when I saw her return to her car. She looked at me and shook her head. I dropped my drivers side window and said .... " have they not got any then ? " She said " yes, they are £3 each but, want £8 for fitting it " Me being the good Samaritan I said .... Give it here, Ill sort it for you. Car was a Peugeot 207, cover to remove, plastic screw to unscrew, whole light cluster then falls away revealing bulbs, changed blown bulb, refitted cluster, cover, checked operation, job done in less than three minutes. She was over the moon. I came away with a warm glow. And Im sorry to say Halfords lost out on £8 which I thought was a little steep to change a light bulb. Doesnt it make you feel good doing a good turn. New years resolution ...... Help more people.

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
Reason they charge £8 for a light bulb fit is on a lot of modern cars you have to virtually dismantle it just to get at the bulb.
The £8 covers the additional cost if they have one of these.

Well done you though (y)

Phoenixicus

Account Locked
"The boss wanted something from Homebase at Selby yesterday so I ran her through in my van "

Quite a drastic reaction to a shopping request though Mick,yet a clever idea to do the deed and then be able to dispose of the body
:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
If I change a headlight bulb on my ancient Mercedes passenger side it takes a couple of minutes. Opposite side is a knuckle scraping
nightmare, I think a fee of eight quid is fair.

dumdum

I’m sure you were in the thread about value for money and costs incurred by businesses... yet here you are moaning about 11 quid to supply and fit a headlamp bulb which is a fixed cost based on a variety of cars and very fair inc insurance and wages they have to pay!

They will however refuse to do some cars due to how long they take and some cars now you can’t even replace bulbs, it’s a new 800 quid headlamp if the headlight packs up ?

woodmagnet

Dartist.
Well done marra, I helped the young lass over the road to me to
move home yesterday. Her Mother had died 2 month ago and she
had to leave the property, elderly persons bungalow. No-one to
help her except me, I was knackered but felt really good for doing
it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m sure you were in the thread about value for money and costs incurred by businesses... yet here you are moaning about 11 quid to supply and fit a headlamp bulb which is a fixed cost based on a variety of cars and very fair inc insurance and wages they have to pay!

They will however refuse to do some cars due to how long they take and some cars now you can’t even replace bulbs, it’s a new 800 quid headlamp if the headlight packs up ?
I didnt exactly moan. All I said was it was a bit steep. Not for me. Maybe I should have said that. I thought it was a bit steep for a pensioner. Like I thought £250 for Geoff's floor tiling was a little expensive for a days work ( based on 8 hours ) Maybe it is right to have pensioners rates like B&Q do on Wednesday. Hey I may have shot myself in the foot If Id have ended up taking half the car to bits to do it.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
"The boss wanted something from Homebase at Selby yesterday so I ran her through in my van "

Quite a drastic reaction to a shopping request though Mick,yet a clever idea to do the deed and then be able to dispose of the body
:LOL::LOL::LOL:
That was brilliant. Wish Id thought of that at the time. No I didnt. ??? Youve been listen to Wise Owl too much. ???? Good though.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Good on ya but a luke warm maccys coffee? I love their coffee, sorry, especially the latte and it's never cold, normally the opposite.
Me too. Drink far too much of their coffee. Yes, not very often you get a luke warm coffee do you. And they were busy as well. ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Well done marra, I helped the young lass over the road to me to
move home yesterday. Her Mother had died 2 month ago and she
had to leave the property, elderly persons bungalow. No-one to
help her except me, I was knackered but felt really good for doing
it.
Well done pal. Youve a heart of gold. Nice one. ????

Godber

All gone floppy.
Site Supporter
Packing my shopping(☹swmbo was working) into the back of my car to day l heard the car next to me struggling to start. I tapped the window and asked the attractive lady driver if l could help. Turned out to be a flat battery so jump started it and made sure everything was ok. A £5 note was very kindly offered to me but l didn't want it. I suggested a £1 dropped into a cancer charity box would be payment enough. She smiled and gave me a wonderful hug and kiss.? Paid in full.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
If I change a headlight bulb on my ancient Mercedes passenger side it takes a couple of minutes. Opposite side is a knuckle scraping
nightmare, I think a fee of eight quid is fair.

If it takes more than 10 minutes they won't do it, they refused to change the bulb in a friend of the wifes car because they had to remove a panel in the inner wing to get to the headlamp...it took me less than 10 minutes it was only a couple of plastic pull rivets holding the panel in place!

AndyL

you tend to find its the front headlights that are the worst on new cars grills/bumpers the lot have to be taken off and then you still cant get you're had in
the worse one Ive ever done was the wife ford Ka I actually got my had stuck to the point I thought I would have to have it cut out from it. that was a squeaky bum moment