Good chair for float fishing

JohnClarke1

My current chair is a Korum Aeronium which is lightweight (2.3kg) and excellent for ledgering, but is not ideal for float fishing where I need to keep throwing maggots. It's too lean-back to get a good throw. I'm tall with a bad back, and I find it puts pressure on the back also. I saw a thread where Old Taff was using a camping chair, which he recommended, and I went along to Halfords today to have a look. There were two. The luxury one was very comfortable (3 inches higher than my Aeronium), and good in every way except that it was heavy - though I didn't weigh it. The standard one was not so comfortable, and lower, but of course lighter which will often be important with my back. I'm in two minds.

Can anyone give further advice? What do you use for roach fishing?

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
If the only issue with your current chair is that it's uncomfortable to throw things from, might buying a catapult be a cheaper option?
What an answer👍

Browner

Site Supporter
I use a Fox ultralight chair with the arms removed with the addition of the Solar back support. Works a treat.
FA2F6D1B-4B3B-44D8-A196-F1F23D048EFF.jpeg

squimp

Site Supporter
My friend has just bought a Fox Duralite chair - the higher version with arms. It is an excellent chair - not too heavy and more comfortable than my super light weight Aeronium. It’s currently reduced 20 quid at AD.

I’m tempted to buy one, but I’d get one without arms.

alsur

Site Supporter
if you are fishing on a lake something like the Korum or Preston Chair or nufish would be my choice, I use a Matrix Accessory Chair which is a bit lighter than Korum but doesn't have adjustable back although it's upright enough for me, I throw maggots out underarm as I find it groups maggots better and don't find I need to lean forward at longer distances I use a catapult.

One thing you could do is set front legs lower than back so seat base slopes slightly forward.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Original Korum Accessory Chair - with the 19mm square legs. Adjustable back. Still many available second hand &, imo, one of the best for the money.

satinet

Original Korum Accessory Chair - with the 19mm square legs. Adjustable back. Still many available second hand &, imo, one of the best for the money.
Yeah it's a good chair for sure. I've got one and used it loads. In fact I still use it most times I fish unless I'm doing pole fishing, where I use a box.

Are the newer 23 and 25s comparable? Just wondered why you said the original.

Anyway I did buy the extending legs for my original, which were quite expensive relative to the cost of the chair but it was just a bit too short for my height (6'4'').

Browner

Site Supporter
My friend has just bought a Fox Duralite chair - the higher version with arms. It is an excellent chair - not too heavy and more comfortable than my super light weight Aeronium. It’s currently reduced 20 quid at AD.

I’m tempted to buy one, but I’d get one without arms.
This is what I have. I took the arms off and replaced the uprights with 19mm square tube. This means you can attach a butt rest to one side and a tray to the other. With a standard quick change unit on the leg so you can attach a feeder arm/rod rest it adds very little weight to the chair. And because you can rotate the uprights you can always get the tray level and incline the butt rest if you are feeder fishing a river with the tip up.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Another vote for the standard low back Matrix, it is nice and light and allows good freedom of movement although the jury is still out with regard to using it with a pole

Reuben

Site Supporter
Yeah it's a good chair for sure. I've got one and used it loads. In fact I still use it most times I fish unless I'm doing pole fishing, where I use a box.

Are the newer 23 and 25s comparable? Just wondered why you said the original.

Anyway I did buy the extending legs for my original, which were quite expensive relative to the cost of the chair but it was just a bit too short for my height (6'4'').
The 23 & 25 have round legs & I’ve heard that sometimes there can be issues with them slipping. The square legs don’t have this problem In my experience.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
This morning I was fiddling about cleaning rods etc anyway out of curiosity I weighed my Korum chair, the original rover
version and it weighed a fraction under four pounds so less than two kilos, strapped to your back you hardly know it`s there.
It doesn`t recline but as someone pointed out just have the front legs slightly higher than the back ones and job done. It
seems strange how chairs are getting so heavy, then you need a barrow and so it goes on.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Probably not what you are looking for but I often use a Halfords folding camp chair when float fishing and it’s spot on for less than a tenner.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I really liked my Browning King Feeder Chair. However, after four years and a lot of use, it was starting to show its' age. While it still has some life left in it, I decided to try something a little more substantial and hopefully much longer lasting. I went for an Octbox Compact. However, the intention was always to buy the optional rotating seat and the additional set of shorter legs required by the higher seat. Unfortunately, the seat wasn't in stock when I purchased the box. However, I did find that the standard seat and legs were perfectly good for some of my fishing, barring the weight penalty, the rotating seat is excellent for the bulk of my static angling. It's also surprisingly comfortable without allowing you to nod off at the less well stocked venues I often frequent. I now have a versatile solution that can cover almost every fishing scenario I can reasonably expect. The only exception would be sedentary long stay specimen hunting, which is something I've not done for several years

In my experience, straight up and down leg systems are far better than angled/folding legs. However, at the cheaper end, they tend not to be infallible. The poorer designs sometimes don't last as well as they could. Whilst I can't comment on the longevity of the Octbox legs, they are undoubtedly the best I've encountered. Unless I manage to double my not unsubstantial girth, I suspect that the Octbox may well see me out.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I really liked my Browning King Feeder Chair. However, after four years and a lot of use, it was starting to show its' age. While it still has some life left in it, I decided to try something a little more substantial and hopefully much longer lasting. I went for an Octbox Compact. However, the intention was always to buy the optional rotating seat and the additional set of shorter legs required by the higher seat. Unfortunately, the seat wasn't in stock when I purchased the box. However, I did find that the standard seat and legs were perfectly good for some of my fishing, barring the weight penalty, the rotating seat is excellent for the bulk of my static angling. It's also surprisingly comfortable without allowing you to nod off at the less well stocked venues I often frequent. I now have a versatile solution that can cover almost every fishing scenario I can reasonably expect. The only exception would be sedentary long stay specimen hunting, which is something I've not done for several years

In my experience, straight up and down leg systems are far better than angled/folding legs. However, at the cheaper end, they tend not to be infallible. The poorer designs sometimes don't last as well as they could. Whilst I can't comment on the longevity of the Octbox legs, they are undoubtedly the best I've encountered. Unless I manage to double my not unsubstantial girth, I suspect that the Octbox may well see me out.
Quite so regarding the straight up and down leg system, they also offer the bonus of a compact footprint.

Truly

Site Supporter
I believe they do a recliner version of the Aeronium ?
They do indeed. I bought one very recently. I have a dodgy back and the ability to adjust the angle of the backrest is just the job. Super lightweight and comfortable.

DaveRob

Site Supporter
Going to follow this as Im looking at the Preston chairs vs some others for float AND feeder. DaveR