Good and bad today

Sportsman

Site Supporter
I had a bit of a strange day today I fished a knockup match at 3 Oaks fishery, my regular haunt. When pegs were drawn, I lucked out with peg 14, my favourite swim. I knew that a deeper trench ran across, about 10m out and fed that area with 2 and 4mm pellets regularly from the off. My starting tacrics though was method feeder at 45yds with 8mm pellet on the hook. The quiver tip stayed completely still for the next hour and a half and then it rattled and went slack. The reward was a 3oz skimmer that had snaffled my 15mm wafter :D
No one around me was catching, so I thought that I would have a go for silvers at 11m in front, on the pole, the area I had been feeding. Started on 0.18 rig line, 4x16 home made float, a Browning hook to nylon, 16 to 0.14. After 5 minutes the float sank and I connected with something large that rocketed across the lake. By sinking the tip, I managed to stop it and played it without seeing it for 2 or 3 minutes until the hook knot failed. One nil to the carp,
New hooklength, size 14 to 0.20 this time 5 minutes later a repeat performance. Two nil to the carp
Enough of these hooks to nylon. On went my self tied 14 to 0.18 and out again. !0 minutes later, the float gave a trembly indication and I lifted into something heavy. The fight was not fast and frantic, but slow and inexorable, most of it with the end of the pole underwater. 20 mins later, I was getting desparate, I had tried to net it 3 times, but it just wouldn't go in. The guy on the next peg remembered he had a carp net in the car and ran off to fetch it. This made all the difference and on the 4th attempt in she went. Officially weighed by the fishery owner, she went 24lb 4 oz. My biggest ever fish on the pole.(y)
To cut what is already a long story short, I went on to hook a further 5 carp, all big fish, and I managed to land one of them. Final score was six two to the carp. All breakages!:mad: No, I did;t frame. If I had managed to land 3 of the six I lost I would now be 100€ better off:cry:

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Well done on landing the two you did get in especially the 24 Lb 2 Oz one. What elastic were you using ? I am guessing not heavy if you were after silvers, unless after the first fish you swapped to a power top kit. I think if I knew there were carp of that size in the lake I wouldn't dare use my main 16 M pole and opt for my Middy M3 Extreme margin pole that comes with 30 elastic. :eek::D:D

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Well done on landing the two you did get in especially the 24 Lb 2 Oz one. What elastic were you using ? I am guessing not heavy if you were after silvers, unless after the first fish you swapped to a power top kit. I think if I knew there were carp of that size in the lake I wouldn't dare use my main 16 M pole and opt for my Middy M3 Extreme margin pole that comes with 30 elastic. :eek::D:D

Laccy was 12-14
To be honest the 24lber was not expected. When fish get to that size, Howard, the owner, sells them on. He doesn't want a big carp speci lake, there are enough of those in France, it is a very good mixed fishery, with some carp.
Before Howard bought it the lake had been unused and untouched for close to 30 years. First thing he did was net it and he found a stock of long lean commons. He calls them wildies. Whether they are or not, most of them are now in the 10-15lb range and they are the fastest carp I have ever hooked. Anyone who says that catching puddle pigs is boring should try these.
I will be going back to that swim, better equipped and prepared..
I don't usually fish for carp, I was using the kit and tactics that I would use for Bream. The difference was putting the pellets in for a couple of hours first

Total

Site Supporter
Laccy was 12-14
To be honest the 24lber was not expected. When fish get to that size, Howard, the owner, sells them on. He doesn't want a big carp speci lake, there are enough of those in France, it is a very good mixed fishery, with some carp.
Before Howard bought it the lake had been unused and untouched for close to 30 years. First thing he did was net it and he found a stock of long lean commons. He calls them wildies. Whether they are or not, most of them are now in the 10-15lb range and they are the fastest carp I have ever hooked. Anyone who says that catching puddle pigs is boring should try these.
I will be going back to that swim, better equipped and prepared..
I don't usually fish for carp, I was using the kit and tactics that I would use for Bream. The difference was putting the pellets in for a couple of hours first
It's always good to go back to a swim and get your own back as such.....Obviously different day, etc but it's a good way of exorcising those nagging demons!:devilish:;)

MrBen

Site Supporter
Great write up and a monster on a pole with reasonably light elastic for it.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
The photo from yesterday. It looked bigger in the water :D
I didn;t hang around for the presentation, but apparently I made 3rd and won 16€ and a bottle of red wine. they don't usually pay to 3rd, and the wine was biggest fish.

Attachments

• carp.jpg
    carp.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 25

Total

Site Supporter
The photo from yesterday. It looked bigger in the water :D
I didn;t hang around for the presentation, but apparently I made 3rd and won 16€ and a bottle of red wine. they don't usually pay to 3rd, and the wine was biggest fish.
Lovely looking fish, well done.(y)....That fish was worth at least 20 euros! :rolleyes:......and the wine....:drink::drink::ROFLMAO:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well done old mate

exactly 5lb heavier than my biggest pole caught carp (19lb 4oz)

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Great write-up. Glad you have found the match scene much less frantic, cliquey and money-orientated than some posters would have you believe.

Interestingly, Howard has bought a house in my village, which he lets out, and I have met him. I understand that h was able to take over a booking on another French water that his friends in my village were unable to take up because of the Covid rules.

PS. It's considered very good form to attend all presentations if possible, even if you do not win anything. Lots of angler don't, and it can reflect badly on them. Of course it may be different in France. :) Well done, again.

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Speaking of good form and etiquette I may have transgressed further.
As we were packing up, one of the guys who were fishing at the far end of the lake passed by and stopped to ask me how I had done. I told him about getting broken 6 times. He said "Oh, you were the one that was shouting then"
I'm not proud of this, but it is true that when it first happened there may have been a muttered "tsk" or even a muffled "bother to be heard. Apparently, on the 6th occasion, a full throated despairing cry of "you BAAHHSTAAAREDD" echoed down the valley and scared the cats two villages away:censored::devilish:

Total

Site Supporter
Speaking of good form and etiquette I may have transgressed further.
As we were packing up, one of the guys who were fishing at the far end of the lake passed by and stopped to ask me how I had done. I told him about getting broken 6 times. He said "Oh, you were the one that was shouting then"
I'm not proud of this, but it is true that when it first happened there may have been a muttered "tsk" or even a muffled "bother to be heard. Apparently, on the 6th occasion, a full throated despairing cry of "you BAAHHSTAAAREDD" echoed down the valley and scared the cats two villages away:censored::devilish:
I don't know what French is for 'Swear box' but expect it to be waved under your nose on the next match!:p:ROFLMAO: