Gone Fishing - New PB!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branny

Fished 'Gone Fishing' in Springview - Wigan on Saturday.

Set up the pole (10 elastic, 5.5lb line, size 14 hook) baited up (6mm expander), tipped in some feed (micro pellets) and missed a bite within 30 seconds.

As we do, repeated the above and not 30 seconds later I was battling with the beauty pictured. 20lb and 2 oz. Took me an hour to land - and frankly cant believe I landed on my gear. Own scales only went up to 12lb so had to borrow the blokes at the side of me.

I've only been back fishing a few weeks so it beats my previous PB of a 4lb ish tench by some considerable margin.

After that, got very windy and rainy with me only catching a small mirror and bream but I really didn't care!

I suspect that it will take me a looooong time to beat this one.

Happy days though.

9q9umb.jpg

keith74

THFC
great fish mate, especially on a ten elastic. top angling to get that on the bank[:T][:T]

The_Sogster

Stick and 'Pin
Congrats, love the fag packet - use players No 6 next time the fish'll look bigger. Lol

Branny

Thanks all.

I knew it was big when I hooked it - I honestly was worried more about the elastic than the line giving out. It took me in some weeds and at one point I thought it had done me on a semi submerged tree. But a bit of paitence and it came back out - even more patience and I eventually landed it.

I never really bothered weighing fish as a kid so I'm pretty poor at guessing weights at the moment. I only realised how big it was likely to be when it topped out my scales. At that point I knew I had to get someone else's scales. The bloke at the side didn't have any with him - then remembered that he'd got his son's luggage scales so he kindly went and got those from the car. It was a shame the weather turned bad and curtailed my day but I was more than happy with that one fish alone.

I had to put the scales and fag packet on for a bit of perspectivr.

The bailiff told me the current biggest fish out of the bigger pond where I was is just over 40lb. It's a really nice set up too and only 4 for a day ticket. Suffice to say, I'm going back early Saturday morning for hopefully a long session and some more excellent fish.

Am I correct in thinking that it is the pole elastic which in reality adds much more 'potential' to the breaking strain of the line given that I was only using 5.5lb line?

Thanks
B

neilpeel71

good on yer fella. fantastic fish, took me 20 years to catch one that big! And good on you being a new angler and yet having invested in a mat. I keep riding past this place on me way to other places. i'll maybe stop next time

Tony_grig

Nice fish Branny, well done mate. It's all about balancing your elastic and line. If line is considerably lighter than your elastic then it is bound to snao when you hook a lump. I'd say 5.5lb with a 10 is about right - maybe slightly heavy but not too over the top. It's a set up more suited to smaller carp but take your time and it will cope with the bonus fish - as you have just proved!
Tony

Branny

Fished it again today. A little disappointed after last week's beauty but still a couple of PB's

Bream 2lb 1oz
Miror Carp 3lb 14oz

Snapped off one big whale and lost 2 big commons on way in but the mirror nicely rounded off the day.

Think I'll change venue for next few Saturdays.

Branny

Went here last night and today. Fished paste. Over the 2 days snapped 6 times (need to get some heavier line me thinks) bumped about 20 when landing and landed about 8 - all 2 to 3 lb common and mirror.

The highlight / lowlight of the day however was my top kit coming off after being dragged into the weedy island. The bloke who was chatting to me said 'I'd get in and get it if I were you'. My response was 'there's f' all on my mind pal'.

The Other half found it hilarious when she kindly brought a towel and I was fishing only in my boxers and boots.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Well done mate, nice fish!

I was looking through some of own PB fish photos the other night, and every one had a packet of "Vanguard" fags next to its head, for scale.

Gordon Bennett, when did they stop making those ?

(I mean the fags, not the PB's - but then, PB's could equally apply.)
[:I][8D]

Last edited:

Branny

Originally posted by andykel

Gone Fishing? Is that the setup across from spring view cricket club?

Yep, that's the one. It's a very nice pace - secluded with a lot of tree's and bamboo. It's been tough fishing over the last 2/3 weeks after all the rain but seems to be coming back on form.

25 for an annual membership - i'll deffo be joining come Jan.

Seilat`

Always learning...
incredible fish, very well fished to land it on that fairly light gear, nice one mate

mecca

Another smoggy
i landed my 20lb 4oz fish (in pic below) with 5lb line on a normal match rod, its the way you play the fish that decides the winner in the end.

many people fight the fish too much, mine was ina very weedy water as well.

good on ya!!!!

stopped shaking yet[:D]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.