Going to give Pellet Waggler fishing a try...

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Seen them and looked for ages at weights on silicone ,i use loaded wagglers like visiwags upto about 4gram i think then dumpy floats to 8gram loaded . The visi wags do dive under a bit but are very good. Do the floats and carullso weights stop the dive under much.

robert d

Site Supporter
Gazza they're good for Darts and spodding :ROFLMAO: Get yourself some proper floats that you can use with finesse ;)

20210425_181534.jpg

They all work however you'll rarely see me using pre-weighted floats.
Why not loaded ,just curious , i use the lightest loaded float i need ,i can use the visi wags part or fully loaded, if im fishing shallow, i use fully loaded and deep part loaded and shot . No criticism i just like the thought processes please

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Ha!! I have got some Dave,I put them on to wind you up 😂😂one of my favourite forms of fishing mate, we do do things differently though 👍
Gazza, I guessed that :ROFLMAO:

They are big fish down here and they've seen everything. You need a little finesse hence the 5AAA floats and shotting so they don't dive and are fishing instantly. The Blue Styro's are some of my original floats that I use at Larford and cast arrow straight with no need flor flights.

I have used the Guru's and they are fine when they are having it however the longer slimmer Drakes allow you to work the bait as they fold when you twitch it, noting I never sink the line and a twitch is a simple draw of the line by lifting the rod high to pull the float into the second circle of feed.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Gazza, I guessed that :ROFLMAO:

They are big fish down here and they've seen everything. You need a little finesse hence the 5AAA floats and shotting so they don't dive and are fishing instantly. The Blue Styro's are some of my original floats that I use at Larford and cast arrow straight with no need flor flights.

I have used the Guru's and they are fine when they are having it however the longer slimmer Drakes allow you to work the bait as they fold when you twitch it, noting I never sink the line and a twitch is a simple draw of the line by lifting the rod high to pull the float into the second circle of feed.
At Clattercote and boddington you have to make a big splash to attract them, once they’re there , I switch to a more stealthy float set-up.....the John Bonneys don’t really dive, if you feather them , they just “slap” the surface 👍.....Same with the baggin wags , your chucking them 60-80 m, and again , hit the clip, and they slap the surface, and the groundbait explodes out

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Why not loaded ,just curious , i use the lightest loaded float i need ,i can use the visi wags part or fully loaded, if im fishing shallow, i use fully loaded and deep part loaded and shot . No criticism i just like the thought processes please
Robert, for me the ideal float should be around 4 ins long and unloaded. The reason I use unloaded floats is that when you feather them they don't dive and for me, I find them easier to work in the water as per the above post to Gazza.

There are no shot down the line as you're only fishing 2ft to 6ins deep so all you want is the weight of the pellet as bites often come within a fraction of a second of the float hitting the water.

robert d

Site Supporter
Robert, for me the ideal float should be around 4 ins long and unloaded. The reason I use unloaded floats is that when you feather them they don't dive and for me, I find them easier to work in the water as per the above post to Gazza.

There are no shot down the line as you're only fishing 2ft to 6ins deep so all you want is the weight of the pellet as bites often come within a fraction of a second of the float hitting the water.
Cheers 🍻., appreciate 👍 that . Must get some to try

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
At Clattercote and boddington you have to make a big splash to attract them, once they’re there , I switch to a more stealthy float set-up.....the John Bonneys don’t really dive, if you feather them , they just “slap” the surface 👍.....Same with the baggin wags , your chucking them 60-80 m, and again , hit the clip, and they slap the surface, and the groundbait explodes out
Gazza I preferred the old days at Larford on Speci lake when I could launch a 4-5 SSG Styro, set 3ft or so deep, wedge the rod under my leg and then launch balls of groundbait at the float with a whopper dropper, waiting for the rod tip to go around. It used to be a great way of fishing until they banned it (y)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Gazza I preferred the old days at Larford on Speci lake when I could launch a 4-5 SSG Styro, set 3ft or so deep, wedge the rod under my leg and then launch balls of groundbait at the float with a whopper dropper, waiting for the rod tip to go around. It used to be a great way of fishing until they banned it (y)
Some places I pellet waggler fish , they come to a splasher , other places, you’ve almost got to “sneak it in “ 😂

CarpCatcher86

One question I have, about pellet waggler and regular waggler fishing, can float stops be re used or are they single use only?

robert d

Site Supporter
One question I have, about pellet waggler and regular waggler fishing, can float stops be re used or are they single use only?
You can re use them ,make a loop or use the loop thing they came on thread your line through and hold tight and push them back on. I leave them on the setup and take the float off ready for next time .

Imperium

I recently looked at a pellet waggler rod, then found the video of Alan Scotthorne pellet waggler fishing with a carp waggler rod instead of a dedicated pellet waggler rod. The difference being roughly £20. Ohter than price are there any other differences between pellet waggler and carp waggler rod?
Others will likely disagree with me but I would say the biggest difference is marketing. I have caught all variety of fish on all variety of rods and honestly the extent that tackle firms go to now to sell "barbel rods" and "pellet waggler" rods is painful.

Use what you're comfortable with.

I've caught a 30+lb carp on a light shimano technium quivertip rod and I've used a 3lb test curve carping rod to catch barbel/chub out of a small, narrow and awkward stretch of river.

CarpCatcher86

Others will likely disagree with me but I would say the biggest difference is marketing. I have caught all variety of fish on all variety of rods and honestly the extent that tackle firms go to now to sell "barbel rods" and "pellet waggler" rods is painful.

Use what you're comfortable with.

I've caught a 30+lb carp on a light shimano technium quivertip rod and I've used a 3lb test curve carping rod to catch barbel/chub out of a small, narrow and awkward stretch of river.
The shimano pellet waggler rod I've got my eye on has a max casting weight of 20+ grams. The Shimano carp cruncher float rod has a max casting weight of 10-30 grams. As I said earlier the carp waggler is £20 cheaper than the pellet waggler.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
I recently looked at a pellet waggler rod, then found the video of Alan Scotthorne pellet waggler fishing with a carp waggler rod instead of a dedicated pellet waggler rod. The difference being roughly £20. Ohter than price are there any other differences between pellet waggler and carp waggler rod?
Allan is using a 12ft 2 piece rod which would be described by many as a pellet waggler rod. I fish the method a lot and prefer an 11ft rod. It's a busy method and an 11ft rod with a short handle fits the bill perfectly. It's easy to manoeuvre around the body, it makes casting and playing fish very efficient and it brings the fish up at perfect netting range. It's definitely not a marketing ploy it's simply about efficiency and preference, noting I also have 12ft and 13ft rods that will do the same job however they never see the light of day once the fish are up in the water.

CarpCatcher86

I don't quite understand loaded wagglers or pellet wagglers, even though they are all I use. They always require locking shot or some shot round the float or down the line in the case of normal waggler fishing, depending on how much of the float tip you want showing.
I use the Drennan loaded wagglers along with the Drennan swivel float adapters. I find three no6 shot round the float with a no8 down the line works perfectly with every length of float in the range. Unless of course you start playing around with the weights on the bottom.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I don’t do any of this type of fishing. Do loaded wagglers dive more than unloaded, as you have to put a certain amount of shot around the float to cast to the desired distance. I would have thought it wouldn’t have made that much difference.