Going to give Pellet Waggler fishing a try...

Nasha

Now the suns coming out and after watching some videos online, I really fancy having a go at catching some lumps pellet waggler fishing. I’ve been a regular waggler and feeder fisher since day dot, but so far have never ventured into this.

So, as a complete PW novice what are the do’s and don’ts?

Equipment wise I shouldn’t need to buy too much, obviously some PW floats (not really a shortage of selection out there), but maybe a stronger rod?

Setting up, you don't have any shot down the line right, the idea is you want the pellet to fall through the water naturally?
Also what about depths? Start shallow and go deeper as and when?
I think I've gauged the feeding rate from what I've watched. Ping a couple of pouches every cast and lessen the amount in the pouch as time goes on down to just 2 or 3?

I’m in Kent so if there are any venues known to respond well in the warmer months to this style the heads up would be appreciated. Or if it doesn’t matter and any commercial with carp will do fine, you can also tell me in no uncertain terms too 😊 Happy to travel within reason, Essex/Sussex/Surrey etc.

Thanks!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Obviously warmer months are generally better for p/w fishing, but success can depend on a myriad of factors, depth among them imo. There are plenty of places in Kent for you to try out. I live in Kent, but I am not an expert on all the fisheries here. Your local tackle shop can help with advice for venues, and tactics that are working on the day (they can and do change)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Monks, any of the match lakes respond to the method, as does orchard match lakes

one thing I have found with fishing the pelly wag, is that its tiring, your at it all day if they are on it, you ache all over after a full day pinging

Dropon

One trick is to tie a length of heavier line to main line, about 4or 5 ft is ideal. Then hook length loop to loop. The advantage of heavier line is two fold. 1 it sinks slower because it’s larger diameter. 2 with the stronger line you can move float etc up and down to find best depth with less fear of line damage. Tie heavier line to main line with 4 turn water knot. Hope this helps, good luck.

Nasha

Monks, any of the match lakes respond to the method, as does orchard match lakes

one thing I have found with fishing the pelly wag, is that its tiring, your at it all day if they are on it, you ache all over after a full day pinging
Cheers Mick, I’ll add them to my list. Have fished both before but never on the pellet wag. I prefer to be active when I’m fishing so on a slow day feeder fishing I’m often chucking a float about in between bites on the tip. If I ache the next day then I know it was a good day previous, bit like a two day hangover you know it must have been a good night out o_O

Nasha

One trick is to tie a length of heavier line to main line, about 4or 5 ft is ideal. Then hook length loop to loop. The advantage of heavier line is two fold. 1 it sinks slower because it’s larger diameter. 2 with the stronger line you can move float etc up and down to find best depth with less fear of line damage. Tie heavier line to main line with 4 turn water knot. Hope this helps, good luck.
This is the sort of stuff I come here for, have not heard of this tip before but does make a lot of sense (y) cheers

Cobweb

Site Supporter

Agreed on both venues and p/ws. Had some cracking results on the method at both venues

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Watch this video masterclass on pellet waggler:

Its great fun but as Mick says it is exhausting because you never stop feeding and casting.

Now it’s warming up it is slowly coming into it’s own on the lake I fish regularly.

Nasha

Watch this video masterclass on pellet waggler:

Its great fun but as Mick says it is exhausting because you never stop feeding and casting.

Now it’s warming up it is slowly coming into it’s own on the lake I fish regularly.
Some interesting ideas there, especially the points about fish backing off from the splash of the wag going in on bigger waters. I’ll need to get myself a nice selection and will remember to use the lightest to get me to where I want to be fishing. Not sure I’ll go as far as chopping one in half and repainting the tip though!

Preston have some new ones coming out soon and I generally like their stuff so will give them a look but if there are any others you guys would swear by...?

Never considered using a wafter for anything other than my feeder fishing either!

Nasha

Is that Neville park Taff? Went a couple of times after speaking to you last year about it. Had one really good day very similar to your write ups, so took my son the next time and didn’t have a bite. Typical, it was really cold though.
Will get back down there and give this all a try.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Now I though it was only me who did this, I even do it on my silvers waggler set up, 0.20/0.22mm works well, with a 0.14 mainline 👍👍👍

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Is that Neville park Taff? Went a couple of times after speaking to you last year about it. Had one really good day very similar to your write ups, so took my son the next time and didn’t have a bite. Typical, it was really cold though.
Will get back down there and give this all a try.

It’s fishing OK now it’s warming up a bit - I’d still give it another couple of weeks before an all out pellet waggler attack but it’s responding well to a small method feeder or bomb over pellets

I was using a 12” hooklength as it’s the longest I had with me

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Try to keep it simple. The pellet waggler is all about, depth, feeding and work rate.

Get some Cralusso or Preston quick change swivels and tie up some hook lengths at 24, 18, 12 and 6ins. Start at 2ft and work your way up noting on deep venues you may have to fish deeper.

Aim to feed a figure of 8 so first feed the far circle and then cast into it. Feather the float down and don't sink your line.. If you don't get a bite within 30 seconds to a minute feed again short, i.e. the lower loop of the 8. Lift your line off the water as if using a controlled strike and pull the float into where you've just fed.

If you don't get a bite feed the far loop of the 8, reel in and recast into your feed. Repeat and keep on repeating building a steady rhythm of feed, cast feed twitch, feed, reel in and recast.

Vary the feed from just a few pellets, (2-4) to 1/2 a pouch full depending on how you are catching and how long it takes you to play fish.

Depth will change through the session, early on the fish tend to be a little deeper but as the fish compete for the bait they will come shallower and shallower. best depth tend to be 12-18ins however you can have red letter days at 6 and 24ins depending on how the fish are responding and how you feed it.

If you are getting foul hookers shallow up, if you are getting dips and bites you can't hit, often attributed to silvers deepen off a few inches noting 2ins can make a big difference.

Experiment with your feeding and depth however make sure you keep up the rhythm of casting, twitching and feeding as this is the most important part as your work rate will dictate how well you catch.

Look at the different set ups on you tube and choose one you're happy with. main line wise you won't go far wrong with 4lb maxima.

if you can't feed with the rod in your hand, try to get in the habit of trapping the rod under your leg when feeding, noting I've seen a few rods pulled in when anglers have put them on a rest. It's far better to simply put the rod under your leg, feed, lift your leg and be fishing again within a few seconds.

Nasha

Try to keep it simple. The pellet waggler is all about, depth, feeding and work rate.

Get some Cralusso or Preston quick change swivels and tie up some hook lengths at 24, 18, 12 and 6ins. Start at 2ft and work your way up noting on deep venues you may have to fish deeper.

Aim to feed a figure of 8 so first feed the far circle and then cast into it. Feather the float down and don't sink your line.. If you don't get a bite within 30 seconds to a minute feed again short, i.e. the lower loop of the 8. Lift your line off the water as if using a controlled strike and pull the float into where you've just fed.

If you don't get a bite feed the far loop of the 8, reel in and recast into your feed. Repeat and keep on repeating building a steady rhythm of feed, cast feed twitch, feed, reel in and recast.

Vary the feed from just a few pellets, (2-4) to 1/2 a pouch full depending on how you are catching and how long it takes you to play fish.

Depth will change through the session, early on the fish tend to be a little deeper but as the fish compete for the bait they will come shallower and shallower. best depth tend to be 12-18ins however you can have red letter days at 6 and 24ins depending on how the fish are responding and how you feed it.

If you are getting foul hookers shallow up, if you are getting dips and bites you can't hit, often attributed to silvers deepen off a few inches noting 2ins can make a big difference.

Experiment with your feeding and depth however make sure you keep up the rhythm of casting, twitching and feeding as this is the most important part as your work rate will dictate how well you catch.

Look at the different set ups on you tube and choose one you're happy with. main line wise you won't go far wrong with 4lb maxima.

if you can't feed with the rod in your hand, try to get in the habit of trapping the rod under your leg when feeding, noting I've seen a few rods pulled in when anglers have put them on a rest. It's far better to simply put the rod under your leg, feed, lift your leg and be fishing again within a few seconds.
Really appreciate that Dave, thanks mate.

You say keep it simple, which shouldn’t be too difficult for me... but the way you describe it all really does suggest it can be just that.

I’ve got all the bits you mention I already use maxima line and preston snap link waggler swivels with float stops for my regular waggler fishing so the addition of a few different sized/weight floats and I’m away (y) (y)

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I use two Drennan float stops either side of the float,makes changing depth quicker and easier and doesn't damage the line,I love P/W fishing and as for floats,if you finish up with as many different ones as me you've over cooked it,I'm a sucker for them :LOL:

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
My set up is as below, with 2 float stops put on the main line first, then I slide the float onto the line and I then add the weights noting I use Cralusso Globular weights as per the picture on a piece of silicone. I've only recently discovered these but they are superb, like split shot but with a centre hole that the silicone coming in a variety of weights noting the leading weight when casting is always the largest.

Last is the Carluso quick change swivel that I slide the silicone over so the weights and silicone butt up against the Cralusso swivel to finish the set up. The quick change swivel stops hook length spin and allows a very quick change of hook length, great if you only have one rod, however I normally have at least 2 set up.

Note I rarely use weighted floats and the reason why the shot are below the float, rather than ether side is because I want the weights to lead when I cast and everything to straighten when I feather the rig as it hits the water so that it is fishing straight away.

Hope this helps.

20210422_201804.jpg 20210422_201820.jpg

Last edited:

BAD H

Pelletmeister
Now the suns coming out and after watching some videos online, I really fancy having a go at catching some lumps pellet waggler fishing. I’ve been a regular waggler and feeder fisher since day dot, but so far have never ventured into this.

So, as a complete PW novice what are the do’s and don’ts?

Equipment wise I shouldn’t need to buy too much, obviously some PW floats (not really a shortage of selection out there), but maybe a stronger rod?

Setting up, you don't have any shot down the line right, the idea is you want the pellet to fall through the water naturally?
Also what about depths? Start shallow and go deeper as and when?
I think I've gauged the feeding rate from what I've watched. Ping a couple of pouches every cast and lessen the amount in the pouch as time goes on down to just 2 or 3?

I’m in Kent so if there are any venues known to respond well in the warmer months to this style the heads up would be appreciated. Or if it doesn’t matter and any commercial with carp will do fine, you can also tell me in no uncertain terms too 😊 Happy to travel within reason, Essex/Sussex/Surrey etc.

Thanks!
One thing with this method, the harder you work the more rewards you get. Absolutely the most enjoyable way of catching carp on commies in my opinion. Good luck when you give it a go

CarpCatcher86

I recently looked at a pellet waggler rod, then found the video of Alan Scotthorne pellet waggler fishing with a carp waggler rod instead of a dedicated pellet waggler rod. The difference being roughly £20. Ohter than price are there any other differences between pellet waggler and carp waggler rod?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
My set up is as below, with 2 float stops put on the main line first, then I slide the float onto the line and I then add the weights noting I use Cralusso Globular weights as per the picture on a piece of silicone. I've only recently discovered these but they are superb, like split shot but with a centre hole that the silicone coming in a variety of weights noting the leading weight when casting is always the largest.

Last is the Carluso quick change swivel that I slide the silicone over so the weights and silicone butt up against the Cralusso swivel to finish the set up. The quick change swivel stops hook length spin and allows a very quick change of hook length, great if you only have one rod, however I normally have at least 2 set up.

Note I rarely use weighted floats and the reason why the shot are below the float, rather than ether side is because I want the weights to lead when I cast and everything to straighten when I feather the rig as it hits the water so that it is fishing straight away.

Hope this helps.

20210422_201804.jpg 20210422_201820.jpg
😂😂. BFF56997-6FFA-4017-B53F-20DD8336902F.jpeg