Going fishing tomorrow or not?

Keith Sparky

I'm also avoiding weekends at the minute, had an afternoon/evening session on the Wye on Tuesday and an evening session on local club lake on Friday, will probably do something similar this week, busy with work Monday and Tuesday but on leave the rest of the week so will see how the weather goes
I intend to get up the Wye in next few days now we can finally travel in Wales ps how did you get on !

nejohn

Site Supporter
I intend to get up the Wye in next few days now we can finally travel in Wales ps how did you get on !
I fished the town stretch at Ross, river was quite low and clear, temperature had gone down a bit but managed a good few Dace and chublets on the stick float with a couple of 4lb+ Chub later on in the day. Fished maggot and caster feeding a mix of crushed hemp and caster. Fished from about lunch time till 6ish and has bites most of the day

peterb

Site Supporter
I fished the town stretch at Ross, river was quite low and clear, temperature had gone down a bit but managed a good few Dace and chublets on the stick float with a couple of 4lb+ Chub later on in the day. Fished maggot and caster feeding a mix of crushed hemp and caster. Fished from about lunch time till 6ish and has bites most of the day
Have you fished Woodstock / Morgans lately

ATTICUS FINCH

Update on my match today ,it was bloody hard work up our end of the lake with the wind pushing the fish towards the for us wrong end , with half an hour left I said to my mate on the next peg that I'm down to the very last thing in my box of tricks to get a bite and pulled my keepnet out to dry off. I thought right one more put in with a worm but alas nothing showed so after a few minutes it was Sod it I'm packing up early .so shipping in I notice on my inside line a very slight agitation of the water so decided to drop in with a six mm expander ,low and behold a bite and a carp came to the net .so in went the keepnet and hopefully not disturbing the inside line too much as there wasn't a lot of room ,but the float shot under again and again it's carp on .but the hook pulled . So back in and a small wait before the float does a dissapearing act again .another carp and whilst I'm playing it the whistle went for the all out ..
Ten pound on the scales for nowhere as one chap had a great day with 94lb .
Roll on Wednesday evening when it all starts again .

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
A very low stour with tinge of green but very clear, i worked very hard for a bag of 20 roach rud dace chublet and possibly a bleak, oh nearly forgot the star a perch I netted did not really need to but thought new landing net pole why not, i don't think all the fish combined would of been a pound, another disappointing session but with conditions I'm not surprised. There was a match on another stretch will be interesting how they got on.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looking a bit breezy again tomorrow but warm and overcast so I'm feeling hopeful. I doubt I'll beat last mondays 56 roach as that was a bit exceptional but hopefully I'll be able to beat fridays 31 of them as should be able to average 40 plus by now really.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Have you fished Woodstock / Morgans lately
I had an evening session on Woodstock on Friday. Fished the canal side at the top end of the island. Had about a dozen F1's to around 4lb and a few dinner plate sized bream + plus the usual run of small roach. Probably give morgans a go this week sometime

Zerkalo

I did not realise Highley was such a big town. I expected another small village like Arley or some of the other BAA stretches of the Severn. I'd spoke about it to my sister and she said she'd been to the lido/outdoor swimming pool there and that she found it a bit rough. I got there and was greeted by a row of terraced houses, which my dad said 'I wonder what the industry was as they were usually built for miners'. Turns out it was a coal mining village. The stretch of river there is very picturesque to say the least though. Upon arriving at the car park it was signposted 'Fisherman only parking' which is a good sign really. We were greeted by the bailiff to who I explained we were just coming to check out the stretch and he told us the best pegs were down that way... so that's us sorted for sometime this week.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah the riverside part of Highley pretty much only exists for fishing. It’s basically just the pub that mainly caters for anglers then anglers holiday lodges. Lovely bit of river indeed. Along with the stour it’s a place I’m looking to go again September/October time. 1594587938651.jpeg

As for my session tomorrow it’s now looking bright early doors again so might be a slow start before kicking off when it clouds over a bit like on Friday. When it fished well throughout last Monday it was light cloud the whole time so I’m hoping it’ll be more like that again.

Keith Sparky

I had an evening session on Woodstock on Friday. Fished the canal side at the top end of the island. Had about a dozen F1's to around 4lb and a few dinner plate sized bream + plus the usual run of small roach. Probably give morgans a go this week sometime
I fished Morgans last Thursday when it was dull overcast and a good breeze......it fished its head off with loads of quality bream on a hybrid feeder with small wafters....fished Woodstock yesterday on the canal side and had the usual F1 and small carp on the method to the island and a few more on short pole but it was a lot slower than Morgans was but the weather was brighter and warmer

Keith Sparky

Going fishing in the morning this time to Newport AA School pool for a bit of very easy F1 fishing and mainly to have a bit more practice at shallow fishing which I can be very hit and miss with !

Zerkalo

Yeah the riverside part of Highley pretty much only exists for fishing. It’s basically just the pub that mainly caters for anglers then anglers holiday lodges. Lovely bit of river indeed. Along with the stour it’s a place I’m looking to go again September/October time. 1594587938651.jpeg

As for my session tomorrow it’s now looking bright early doors again so might be a slow start before kicking off when it clouds over a bit like on Friday. When it fished well throughout last Monday it was light cloud the whole time so I’m hoping it’ll be more like that again.

I'm going to fish Highley on the pegs where anglers were crammed in today. Seemed like the pegs just upstream of the pub were really fast and shallow. The water was bombing through today. Then it seemed to slow up just further upstream where everyone was fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can’t remember the whole stretch that well more just those swims that I fished back in September and October 18 so after the long hot summer. The first was somewhere in front of the car park where it was fast and shallow. Maggot feeder there produced lots of dace, a few roach and a couple barbel and maggot on the stick brought more dace, roach and a couple chub. Then the other swim was slightly downstream of the pub more or less from where that photo was taken and was a bit deeper and slower. That produced a pretty even mix of dace, roach, perch and gudgeon on the stick but I didn’t try the feeder there. From the top of the bank you could see barbel and chub along the far bank shallows which was quite cool.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
tuesday looks the best day of the week according t the local forecast,

light cloud and a gentle breeze which should be enought to put a ripple on the pond without being intrusive

my bloody caster might have turned by then too, or im gonna have to find a bait shop with some in stock

Total

Site Supporter
tuesday looks the best day of the week according t the local forecast,

light cloud and a gentle breeze which should be enought to put a ripple on the pond without being intrusive

my bloody caster might have turned by then too, or im gonna have to find a bait shop with some in stock

Bring 'em indoors for a while....They'll will soon turn.....

IanG1

Site Supporter
One for you @Silverfisher fished my favourite roach peg on the stick. 88 fish and may be nudging 20lb. Usual drill switching to the seed when the times right. Lovely day and lots of good clunks on the strike lol. Used the old amophous whisker stick float special circa 1989 and a Daiwa 123m for a nostalgic days with the red fins.
IMG_20200713_132212.jpg IMG_20200713_131058.jpg IMG_20200713_114245.jpg PANO_20200713_132323.jpg IMG_20200713_132523.jpg IMG_20200713_110124.jpg

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
@IanG1 nice work indeed! Lovely net of fish brilliant angling that.

Nothing like that for me today. Didn’t get in the swim that I had the 87 roach, 9 dace, couple bream plus the obligatory couple dozen bleak from across the couple sessions last week then had to leave only half 3.5 hours into the 6.5 hour session I had planned due to other commitments. I didn’t really mind though as got a naff swim that only produced 8 roach, 2 dace, 2 chublet and a dozen or so bleak and despite seemingly ideal conditions. Reasonable enough roach at least so better than not going at all!
1594649249744.jpeg
1594649265941.jpeg
Weather looks set fair most days this week though so should be able to get out most days again.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
@IanG1 nice work indeed! Lovely net of fish brilliant angling that.

Nothing like that for me today. Didn’t get in the swim that I had the 87 roach, 9 dace, couple bream plus the obligatory couple dozen bleak from across the couple sessions last week then had to leave only half 3.5 hours into the 6.5 hour session I had planned due to other commitments. I didn’t really mind though as got a naff swim that only produced 8 roach, 2 dace, 2 chublet and a dozen or so bleak and despite seemingly ideal conditions. Reasonable enough roach at least so better than not going at all!
1594649249744.jpeg
1594649265941.jpeg
Weather looks set fair most days this week though so should be able to get out most days again.
You didn’t have to fish a different swim for a change ??you should put that in “fishing phobias”?

Last edited: