Going all continental ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
My first big match of the season is an open to be fished over two days at the very beginning of the new season, 19th and 20th june, so it wont have seen much fishing or bait going in before then

the scenario is that its a altered and straightened, dredged piece of river, that is approximately 35 metres across, has some boat traffic, there is very little flow

it has marginal shelves that go out 5 to 6 metres from each bank that are around 5 to 6 feet deep, the track which is about 20 metres of the central width drops off to around 12 foot deep,

the major species are Bleak, bream-skimmers, perch and roach

would you go all continental and ball it in at the start, down the track, with a barrage of groundbait hoping to attract the wandering shoals of bream whilst fishing short and possibly up in the water for the bleak to start, maybe feeding cut worm-caster by a dropper on the first marginal ledge edge and loose feeding caster and maggot over

any ideas or thoughts welcome

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Sounds very much like the River Weaver at Hartford.....more like a dirty great canal. Methods used to be pole to the edge of the near shelf, fishing maggot or caster, feeding hemp and caster. Or a bomb, third of the way across using maggot. At times, a small groundbait feeder would work for the skimmers.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’d set up a whip and short pole for the same line,a 13mtr pole line and a light feeder for the bottom of the far ledge. If I was to feed positively I’d cup it rather than ball it. Possibly 10-12 balls cupped in at 13mtrs. 10 hard compressed balls and 3 or 4 lesser compressed balls that may drift somewhat to draw fish from other anglers. I’d empty a dozen or so feeder fulls on the bottom of the far ledge. This would all happen on the all in. The groundbait would have loads of chopped worm,casters and dead reds. Maybe a few pellets if they are known to work on the venue.
I would start on the whip or short pole just to let the other lines settle. After an hour or so I’d investigate the long pole line and if it doesn’t show any fish I’d feed one loose ball and try the feeder. Then rotate the two as fish dictate, making sure to nurse both lines unless the fish are hanging themselves. I won’t be going back to small fish after that as I’m expecting Bream to be caught elsewhere. If I blow out? So be it😂😂 There’s always tomorrow or next week.
Hookbait would be a mixture of worm,caster,dead reds and expander. Expander especially if I’m catching skimmers👍
I‘d choose 13mtrs for Bream and skimmers so I can chase them out to 14.5 and 16mtrs if they back off.

Thats it in a nutshell. Obviously there are many other factors that may change things that we won’t know until the day.

Edit. That’s a Browning 13mtrs😂😂

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I am aghast at the heavy groundbait advice, feel your way and aim for better fish on the deck. If eels count half a lobworm
if things get desperate.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Site Supporter
Couple balls at the start, fish over them until hopefully you need to top up. Feed a hemp line and try it and see if the roach turn up. Looking at the title of the thread, thought we were going to see a Gary Neville type rant- Bread, oil and vinegar??? Olives?? Frapachino, wapachino??...What's that all about....

ATTICUS FINCH

Smiffy has layed out a reasonable approach Mick,
I would probably be doing something along those lines but with a little less number of balls at the start.
When fishing the feeder worm and caster on the hook , I would have a choppy line just over the first shelf and keep dropping in from time to time in the hope of a big stripey or an eel or two .

smiffy

Site Supporter
I thought my approach was pretty cautious😂 3kg of groundbait max.
If it’s a points match then yes, I am maybe pushing it a bit. But a weight match? Nah.