Goals for last year and did you achieve them?

squimp

Site Supporter
‘Good in parts’ just about sums up my year.

Some really good fish caught by design and some nice bonus fish along the way.

one plan that didn’t happen involved river fishing at Hereford and learning how to fish the ‘whip to hand’ method. It was scuppered by Welsh lockdowns and a spell on jury service at just the wrong time. Maybe next winter.....

Plans for a really big chub have also gone the way of Covid. I somehow don’t think I will get access to the right river stretches this side of March 14th.

The good news is that I have plenty to look forward to once we get unlocked.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mine was easy as it was to get on the bank more than I did in the disaster fishing wise that was 2019 every time I planned to go something came up to stop me, I think I only managed about 3 trips in all of 2019. Hence my target was beaten within 2 weeks of being allowed to fish again after the 1st lockdown. Unfortunately I didn't manage to get on to running water as much as I would have liked as I tried to stay very local, but on the plus side I fished a lot of pegs on my local club lake that I had not fished before and had some good sessions. As for 2021 just take it as it comes, fish when and where I can and enjoy it

ATTICUS FINCH

Returning back to fishing after a lengthy lay off ( golf handicap work)( failed).
I joined my old club with the hope of maybe holding my own in a couple of matches .well things turned out a little better than expected, in the club's evening series (9 matches) I fished eight and won four finishing second overall.✅
The Sunday matches had already started before I fished any of them and was looking forward to seeing if I could maybe surprise a few by framing. Well the first three matches saw me put points on the board but nothing better than fifth place ,as the matches progressed I was getting back into the match way of thinking and I won a couple of matches .people were starting to take notice and a few were saying that it was the pegs , well a run of three matches won on the spin put me well up the leaderboard ,and with one match left I was four points behind the leader. I scored five points and the leader didn't make the points so am club champ again after a sabbatical of near ten years . 🏆🏅🥇.
I did fish the Kent champs although my club is in Sussex ,and finished top ten out of ninety that fished so was pleased about that.
So how has my year been?
Fishing wise way way better than I had hoped and with a dozen brown envelopes being given to me the wife has been happy that I have had some fun on the banks.
This year is going to be doing a lot more opens as I'm wanting to put my skills against a few of my old mates. the bug has bitten deep again 👍

R0B

Realistically I'd say I'm about 5 or so years away from being able to confidently enter a match there as the standard of angling I presume to be very high.
Really, why!? what's wrong with entering and just enjoying the process? If everyone waited until they were in the frame we'd only have a handful of competitive people in any sport. Give it a go and just fish the methods you are comfortable with, get used to the timings and the protocol and have a laugh. You may be surprised at your result - I bet you don't come last.

As a junior I was pleasure fishing on my club canal, the club turned up for a match on that section. As per the rules at the time I was either allowed to carry on pleasure fishing with the match going on around me or pay to enter the match. I opted to forego the comp and carry on pleasure fishing much to the disappointment of the organiser.
The match finished the same time I packed up and the organiser came to look at my net. Apparently I'd have easily won with my average bag of roach and skimmers - that's one moment in time I regret not entering a competition!

I fished a lot of beach matches around 20 years ago, I'd say you only really become competitive by actually fishing the matches. The draw, dealing with your peg, other anglers either side and the excitement are all important parts of the experience.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Really, why!? what's wrong with entering and just enjoying the process? If everyone waited until they were in the frame we'd only have a handful of competitive people in any sport. Give it a go and just fish the methods you are comfortable with, get used to the timings and the protocol and have a laugh. You may be surprised at your result - I bet you don't come last.

As a junior I was pleasure fishing on my club canal, the club turned up for a match on that section. As per the rules at the time I was either allowed to carry on pleasure fishing with the match going on around me or pay to enter the match. I opted to forego the comp and carry on pleasure fishing much to the disappointment of the organiser.
The match finished the same time I packed up and the organiser came to look at my net. Apparently I'd have easily won with my average bag of roach and skimmers - that's one moment in time I regret not entering a competition!

I fished a lot of beach matches around 20 years ago, I'd say you only really become competitive by actually fishing the matches. The draw, dealing with your peg, other anglers either side and the excitement are all important parts of the experience.

I would on some other Bream venues, just not this one, don't feel ready to compete just yet! I will hopefully be entering some smaller open matches on local commercial fisheries though. Five years will come round very quick too! :D

R0B

Just jump in and do it! you also need to find out if it's for you, or not...
Imagine practising for 5 years to enter a match only to think "well that was a load of old bollacks, I'd rather be pleasure fishing".

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Mine was simply to get back into fishing, purchase a float and feeder rod and catch fish with both.

Objective achieved.

This year I’d like to learn how to trot a stick float to an adequate standard and to catch fish on the Thames.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
My yearly targets are invariably fairly modest and, in theory, reasonably attainable without going to any extremes. In the year gone, I wanted a 6lb+ tench from my closest stillwater. It had been perfectly feasible for the previous couple of years, but I had got stuck at 5lb 15oz. I topped 6lb four times in a month and capped it all with a rather more unexpected fish of 7lb 15oz. Topping 8lb in the coming year is going to be a fairly tall order, but I'll be happy enough to settle for a few more sixes and sevens.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
This year I’d like to learn how to trot a stick float to an adequate standard and to catch fish on the Thames.
Can get away with the waggler as much as the stick around here tbh, I’ve certainly used one as much as the other for the last few seasons now 👍🏻

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Every new year I say to myself that I must spend more time fishing and visit more new venues. It never happens as something else always crops up and certainly in 2020 I fished less than I ever have. Not the best start to 2021 is it :(

tincatim

Site Supporter
After having a four year break, my only targets for 2020 were simple ones. Go fishing again (tick), catch some fish (tick) and then a few species targets. A chub from the river (had a few), a barbel (no luck but only fished for them twice), a double figure carp (tick) then just little things like a certain number of fish per session or a number of different species. This was enough to get me back into the swing of things and I’ve now got the bug again. Perfectly timed for another lockdown and no chance to satisfy the urge.
I’m thinking of setting a multi species target for this year. I’ve done it before in 2015 with the aim of catching 21 species, I got them all bar a grayling, eel and bleak. I find this sort of target keeps me interested as I’ll need to fish a variety of venues with different methods. I don’t fish matches but still feel the need to aim for something in my sessions. So when we can finally get out, I’ll have a plan in mind and if it’s still cold enough I’ll probably aim for my first grayling to start.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I never set any goals, good job I didn’t last year 😂😂my aim this year is to not fish as many opens, and to relax into the “over 50,s” matches , and maybe the “vets” matches ... 🤷‍♂️
That’s probably when I’ll get my match gear back out. The mid weekly concessionaries get a turn out of 15-20 anglers but I’ve got another five years before I qualify for them.
Other than that I didn’t have any targets really. Still looking for a 6lb Essex Chub and 2lb Roach. Nothing on the Roach front but a couple of five plus Chub last winter. Missed the big Bream time due to the lockdown. Hopefully be able to get on the banks this April/May and snare a double.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Can get away with the waggler as much as the stick around here tbh, I’ve certainly used one as much as the other for the last few seasons now 👍🏻
Can you still trot a Waggler float then? Or do you just use a heavy enough float to keep it relatively still?

R0B

The target suddenly became "catch a tench in winter on a natural venue". I managed two trips before tier 4 resulting in a roach, a perch and the first blank fishing session I've had in about two years :oops:
I was really looking forward to trying the pole feeder, something I've never done before, and using some torpedo/lollipop floats on the river.

Now the target is make a lot of pole rigs and hooklengths up ready for next season.