Goals for last year and did you achieve them?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thinking back to things I said about things I wanted to achieve fishing wise over the course of the 2020, some of them I have achieved, some of them were pipe dreams.

I was reading a report I wrote when I had a good day at my local Bream venue, the bailiff had came round and had a word with me and said that I should try entering a match. I said in the report I'm a year away from entering matches there, well a year on and it seems that was a pipe dream as I still haven't bought a proper Bream rod. Realistically I'd say I'm about 5 or so years away from being able to confidently enter a match there as the standard of angling I presume to be very high.

I can't remember if I said I would be ready to enter matches on a few local fisheries, I think I gave myself a couple of years for that, and so if I manage to get my tackle together for this summer, that's still a possibility. I did say I wanted to practise float fishing the Severn a bit more and I have done some of that, so that I'd call my only achievement in terms of what I said I'd do, but I still haven't done as much of that as I'd hoped, the year just flew by!

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
No, got close early on in the year with a roach of 1lb 12oz

fished a couple of places that I had planned too

Match fishing though enjoyable when we could do it was a disaster

afraid the pandemic got right in the way with fishery closures and club gig cancellations

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
achieved everything apart from moving abroad, only set myself a few targets for the year but that is the main one and that is my only goal this year

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Over the years, I have achieved most of what I set out to do, but one eludes me and has done for years. That thorn in my side is to land a 30lb+ Carp from English waters. I have done it in France with a 54lb'er, but from an English water? nope. The closest I've come so far is a 29lb 2oz'er. My quest will continue.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Yep. Enjoyed my fishing, bought some new feeders for distance and medium work- caught fish with them, met lots of nice folk anglers, and non anglers. Like everyone else had my nose put out of joint by lockdowns and flood defence work at one of my local venues, but on the whole - happy

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well lots of them got scrubbed off the plan due to travel restrictions 🙁

I did set out to try properly figure out river roach fishing again and got that mostly sorted with if I recall about 8 really good sessions and about as many again decent sessions and only handful or so poor sessions 🙂

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I never set any goals, good job I didn’t last year 😂😂my aim this year is to not fish as many opens, and to relax into the “over 50,s” matches , and maybe the “vets” matches ... 🤷‍♂️

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm still a long way from properly figuring out how to float fish the Severn, especially in different conditions, different pegs etc but I achieved my target of 10lb there with the help of some Chub so my new target is 20lb. :LOL: Might be in for a rude awakening if I enter some opens on local fisheries but I want to try it at The Vineyards, Kingsnordley, and Bells Mill to start with.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm still a long way from properly figuring out how to float fish the Severn, especially in different conditions, different pegs etc but I achieved my target of 10lb there with the help of some Chub so my new target is 20lb. :LOL:
Yeah 20lb takes some doing without bonus fish! Think I’d have probably done definitely 10lb plus about a dozen times last year with maybe handful over those around or over 15lb but only one would have gone over the 20lb mark. That was the first time I’d ever done that sort of weight without some proper sized perch, bream, chub, barbel etc to boost the typical sized silvers’ contribution.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I did 26lb 14oz from the Worcs Stour, that was 11 Chub. And came close with 18lb 12oz of mostly silvers boosted by a few Chub from the same spot. I'm not sure whether I'd count that from the Severn on the float though as what I really want is a day bagging Roach, Dace, Chublets, Perch etc Would be a red letter day for me if I managed that, though I would include an all day session in that.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The one 20lb plus bag I did was mostly made up of about a dozen roach an hour over about 7 hours I think. Had less than a couple dozen none roach fish that day which was just as well as whilst the roach averaged about 4 to the pound the rest of the fish were about 10 to the pound 😅

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It is much harder than one might think when you consider how many fish (excluding bonus fish) you need, but possibly doable on a good peg on a good all day session for me, though maybe a target I won't achieve unless I'm lucky.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It is much harder than one might think when you consider how many fish (excluding bonus fish) you need, but possibly doable on a good peg on a good all day session for me, though maybe a target I won't achieve unless I'm lucky.
Yeah if you can get your average sized fish at around the quarter pound mark it’s doable and very enjoyable but get stuck with an average size of couple ounces and it’ll take forever and won’t be much fun lol

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Most of my targets are related to match success ... I did manage two specific (and recurring) goals in 2020
bedford hospital cup on the great ouse
wye charity shield at Hereford (That one or the Wye Champs)
i didn’t qualify for Riverfest final ... so one to try for this year

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I'd said I was determined to practice feeder fishing but I never got round to it, lazy beggar that I am

Deejay8

Site Supporter
In terms of actual fishing, then all my plans came to nothing. I was planning my return to fishing to start in April. Well lockdown put paid to that. And then with all the restrictions and everything, I decided to postpone my plans until things are relatively normal again.
The year wasn't wasted however. Little by little I have been stocking up on tackle, so I am now almost fully stocked up with terminal tackle. I have got some new luggage, a new pole and a couple of new reels and a new net and a waterproof suit. So hopefully I will be returning this spring. I still have a few items of tackle to sort out, including a barrow platform as I can't carry luggage on straps across my shoulders due to arthritis in my neck. So if the Covid situation improves enough I should be ready to go soon. I've just sent off for my licence.
One thing I have done is lots of research and reading, so I am doing a lot of planning for when I can start.

Billy the fish 1954

Had the best season of my 50 years of fishing, don’t think I will be topping it but one can dream ! Not one blank session, even had a couple of guys on our local club water asked if I gave lessons !!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Had the best season of my 50 years of fishing, don’t think I will be topping it but one can dream ! Not one blank session, even had a couple of guys on our local club water asked if I gave lessons !!
Definitely my best coarse fishing year as well. By virtue of getting more sessions in than I ever have before and probably ever will again I had more good sessions than I ever have and probably ever will 👍🏻

alsur

Site Supporter
I don't set goals as such set a few targets when I matched fished a lot but that was some time ago now. My only aim now is to enjoy myself and try not to worry to much about what I catch. Saying that I did catch my biggest Chub of five and a half pounds this year, totally out of blue when I was least expecting it.

The Runner

Site Supporter
No real goals as such, but still waiting for my first Thornback up here.

And another double figure pollack would have been nice, and to have got a picture this time...Only one I've had was two and a half years ago, pretty much my first fish after moving here. weighed 11-5, went to take pic and realised phone was in jacket pocket about 100 yards and 50 vertical feet away...