Gloucestershire

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourseCraig

First post - try and make it a good one...

I've just got back into fishing and in a big way - got my licence sorted about 2 weeks ago and already fished a lake [fishery?] nearby 4 times. I plan to go back Sunday and probably Wednesday too and then again Sunday before I have to go back to work. The place is called Burley Lakes and is on the out-skirts of Cheltenham.

My first visit saw a couple of bream and some roach - not bad on a DAM rod bought when I was about 12 for about 20 quid from Argos [10ft and comes in a very attractive blue] ;) I found some old line kickin about that looked in good nick and put that on the reel I was using [a DAM QuickFighter also in matching blue and Argos special] Well anyway - my next visit - pulling some roach out on bread and a couple of bream of the bottom - then nothing for hours. I just whiped the rod to get rid of the bread bait and caught a fish - great, moving bait crazy fish. But no - some time later and with a little help with the guy at the peg next to me and his landing net, I brought in a 14.5lb common - BY THE TAIL! [picture available] - so that just made my year - biggest fish I've ever caught [to memory anyways]

So - Christmas comes - I had asked for a Shakespeare XK4000 but whilst away I visited a tackle shop and picked up a Shakespear Odessa PowerPlay Match [13ft] and a Shakespeare Ganza reel - went yesterday and caught a lot of roach - max 3/4lb - not a bad day if quantity is anything to go by - nothing big to write home about though. I was happy with the day.

Anyone know of other fisheries/lakes in Gloucestershire that could interest me?

I'll be scouring the forum and website for tips/advice on setups, baits etc etc - any further tips for the equipment i've got would be appreciated too. Also - anyone in the area wishing to meet up and fish for a day to teach me a few tricks would also be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Craig

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Craig and welcome on board [:)]

Sounds like you've got back into fishing good style

Dave

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome Craig,
Looks as if the bug has firmly bitten.[;)]
Welcome to the Mad Maggotdrowners.[:D][:D][:D]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Cheltenham, hmmmm, not too far from the peaceful valleys of South Wales.

Pray for a couple of decent weekends and a meet could be arranged.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

martin.

Account Locked
hi craig
welcome to the mad MDs
glad to hear you started well, 12oz roach are decent roach
just keep catching & reporting we will do our best on the advice side & youll probably have to put up with some of the welsh ones including the english export(alright geoff)

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

norm

aaahhhhhhhh
a bit of friendly pee take out of each other ..just what the doctor orderd (LOL)

welcome craig
but dont ask me for any advice (COZ I NEVER CATCH OWT)(shut up yorkies)

Larry

Lazarus
Welcome Craig ,To M/D Madhouse .Nice Carp & bieng able catch roach to 3/4 lbs wish i could do that my own club pool or local round here in Redditch.Did you catch roach at Burley Lake's I don't live far from Cheltenham Tommorow's out so perhap's i could meet you on wednesday & have a day's fishing with you.

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Larry

Lazarus
hi there all Craig &myself are going to Burley lakes on the Wed 1st we meeting at 8.00 any one fancy coming leave a message or email craig

Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Status
Not open for further replies.