Gloucester canal, club permits and day tickets

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hi guys this year we are thinking about having 3 or 4 days fishing the Gloucester canal, neither of us have fished this canal before so need all the help and advice we can get.
ie
Controlling clubs, can we buy a club card, or is there a day ticket option
Are there numerous clubs involved or just one main club,
Where can we buy club cards from if this is possible, and how much.
Do the club permits have maps and postcodes for sat nav
Good access points to the canal, decent and safe parking, any long walks involved etc
Local tackle shops for fresh bait whilst we are there.
Is there a closed season on this canal.

Cheers guys, any advice would be great, either on here or via PM

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haven’t fished it for years, but I know some guys who still fish matches on there. It can be a hard place, Hempstead Bend was always and still is the place for bream. Various length walks, depend how near to the access points you want to fish. Can’t help with any other info on it, sorry.

Ivan’s blog has some info it. Ivan's Angle

adriang

Site Supporter
A few pointers...

Get in touch with Dale at Lobbys Tackle in Stonehouse, he can tell you the more up to the minute tips.

Cambridge Arm, down towards the Sharpness end is well known for bream, opposite the inflow. Weekends there are often matches here.
Cadburys in Frampton used to be known for roach, and was a good hemp and tares spot, still seems popular.
Areas around the Pilot pub in Hardwicke/Quedegly were well known for chub, fishing the feeder tight to the bank. I've not been there for years, but the rule used to be as close as you can, take spare feeders!
Opposite the furniture outlet at Saul is supposed to be a good place for bream. I fished it a few times last year, and had a few on the feeder 3/4s across, probably just before the far bank shelf.
Glos AA has some of the 'dead arms' in Glos, which are dead ends, I think for mooring up, or turning boats. I no day tickets but I have been told their annual membership is pretty cheap. There is a Cadence video on YouTube called Bream Fishing in Winter where they fish one of them.

The towpath side of the canal is day ticket on the back (I have not been asked once this season).

I have been asked for a rod license.

The far banks, known as the green bank have some local clubs with stretches. I know Stroud AC has a stretch, there are probably more.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Cheers for the info adriang, much appreciated
do you know if the canal have a closed season or not?

adriang

Site Supporter
Cheers for the info adriang, much appreciated
do you know if the canal have a closed season or not?
Sorry, I'm not 100% certain on that. I asked my fishing partner, and he thinks it is classed as a still water and doesn't have a close season. Best to check by giving a local tackle shop a call.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Thanks again, we were thinking that it was probably open year round, and before we visit we will indeed contact the local tackle shops.

David t

Haven’t fished it for years, but I know some guys who still fish matches on there. It can be a hard place, Hempstead Bend was always and still is the place for bream. Various length walks, depend how near to the access points you want to fish. Can’t help with any other info on it, sorry.

Ivan’s blog has some info it. Ivan's Angle
hemstead bend not that good now as there a lot of building work going on the far bank killed the water at the mo 45/46/47/48 pegs

glosdaz

does anyone know who the controlling club is nertheridge bridge 21 bristol road is as trying to find out and not getting anywhere wanting to know where to get the day ticket or annual permit from thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-12 Fishery list Canal River Trust.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-12 Fishery list Canal River Trust.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 5

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Try putting the location in here:

glosdaz

Try putting the location in here:

that picture is from there tells me its winget angling club cant find any where i can buy the permit from even emailed the given email address and waterways canalriver trust spoke to on the phone couldnt tell me any more then that

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can't find anything about them other than a few search results that say "£4 and pay on the bank"

Whether that applies or not is anyone's guess

Curlew

Site Supporter
does anyone know who the controlling club is nertheridge bridge 21 bristol road is as trying to find out and not getting anywhere wanting to know where to get the day ticket or annual permit from thanks
Hi mate. You need either a season ticket from Gloucester Angling Centre, Bristol Road (26 quid I think) or a day ticket on the bank. It's all run by the British Waterways board really, I'm not even sure what Winget Angling club is/was.

Anyway, go to GAC and they will sort you out.

glosdaz

Hi mate. You need either a season ticket from Gloucester Angling Centre, Bristol Road (26 quid I think) or a day ticket on the bank. It's all run by the British Waterways board really, I'm not even sure what Winget Angling club is/was.

Awesome guys thanks very much

adriang

Site Supporter

Got to say, I've never been asked to buy a day ticket when fishing the towpath side, was asked for a rod license last year.