Glos Canal - when a session goes right

adriang

Site Supporter
Fished Friday 24th July.

Fished the Glos canal, the Stroud & Dist AC water, which is know as 'green bank' (not towpath side), somewhere in the area of Quedgeley/Hardwick, about 1/4 of the way down the canal. Not fished it before on either side, despite the canal being one of my preferred venues, and I used to live in Quedegely.

Great venue, possible to drive to the pegs, no towpath traffic, banks are level and pegs well kept.

Opted to focus on the pole (did take a wand tip rod with me), and after plumbing up, found it was slightly deeper than other parts of the canal, I'd guess close to 5 metres, and seemed to be pretty consistent from about 9 metres out and not overly noticeable shelf.

Fed 4 balls of groundbait at about 10 metres, laced with maggots and hemp. I cupped them in, so were all pretty well in one place. I topped that up a few times, and loose fed hemp and maggots over the top.

Fished a bodied float of 1.5 grams, with an olivette and several small droppers to a 10 inch hooklengh and a 20 trobacco hook.

Fished for about 3 1/2 hours, and caught a mixed bag, including a fat eel, haven't caught one for years despite the canal being known for them years ago.

I know Stroud AC run a few matches on there and there were several anglers fishing there when I fished, and I think the regular feed going in has caused fish to settle there.

Improvements:
Should have fished longer, the fish were still in my swim.
Need a few more suitable rigs, seemed like most of the ones I have are for the Oxford canal, which I've not fished since the start of the season!

IMG_5657.jpeg

IMG_5660.jpeg

IMG_5686.jpeg

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well done mate nice net that! Well apart from the eel I can’t get on with them lol

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
Nice bag, i had my first eel in years from chard res was a brut at about 3.5 - 4 lb, not over keen on them was lucky it was lip hooked so just unhooked and slipped it back.