Gloating - Got a Bargain !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I picked up a Mal Storey Severn trent Feeder Rod, in Cash Convertors, the secondhand shop/pawnbrokers for 12 quid.

Wasn't looking for a barbel type rod, just moochin', but I put it together in the shop and thought it looked the business for the Severn. Since found out it is highley rated (locals please excuse the pun).

The reason for my gloating is... just checked out the Mal Storey website and it's priced at 169.99 new, much more than I thought hehe [:D]

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
My mate picked up a USA Fender Strat in Cash Converters about 2 years ago for just over a hundred quid Mark. Well below its worth.
Typical. The one in Newport is bloody rubbish.
Well done on the rod mate.

Last edited:

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Sounds abit like Ebay - the best sort of place to off load your nicked gear. Now before I get linched all I'm saying is lets be honest some of their stuff is bound to be nicked.

12 quid for a 170 rod I would smell a rat there.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Well they are a proper outfit Enigma, but I know where you're coming from but this is how it seems to work in there fishing tackle wise...

Most of their stuff is rubbish, and / or very overpriced. There are harldy any bargains. If its bright and a little bit flashy, contemporary, catches the eye etc they are ridiculously expensive, close, very close to similar stuff you could buy new at discount tackle outlets. Their second hand poles are expensive , I guess because they're the thing everyone wants.

Not many people people would fancy this feeder rod I bought and it looks absolutely nothing. It is pure grey carbon, black whippings, basic old fashioned, straightforward reel fittings that slide up and down the handle, even a basic plastic butt cap. Scruffy cork handle, meaning a little grubby (dead easy to clean up). No flashy markings of any kind. In short it looks drab, even a small local tackle shops name on it, not a National tackle name. But its absolutely the right tool for the job it was designed for.

Thats why it was cheap. They didnt know what they'd got. Its not often, if ever i'm that lucky, but i'm popping back regularly.

Davejg

I agree with enigma, most nicked tacle ends up in these places as the scum who takes it cant wait for the cash, can you see them getting up at 6 to do a boot sale. your right tiger it didnt shout what it was so they thought it was ordinary, they go through the tackle catalogues to see what its worth, bet you'd struggle to find a mal storey rod except on the website.

mibut

If you bought for 12 the most they would give is 5 or 6 as they have to make a profit and pay vat. So if the original owner went in and was offered that for a 170 rod he wouldn't bite their hand of wwould he.
You have got a bargain but ..........

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
When I bought it I didnt know it was a noted rod, just saw that the action looked right.

Misterbig

Originally posted by BARRYBLOKE

My mate picked up a USA Fender Strat in Cash Converters about 2 years ago for just over a hundred quid Mark. Well below its worth.
Typical. The one in Newport is bloody rubbish.
Well done on the rod mate.

Unless its a chinese Strat !!

Barry you playing or learning the guitar ??

svenc

London Blanker NOT
When my gear was nicked in a burglary I found some of my gear in cash converters, How did I know it was mine?? The rods I had at the time were bought in germany and even since then (10 odd years ago) ive never seen similar.

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
Hi Martin, No Im not learning as such mate although its like fishing isnt it. We never stop.
Ive been playing since I was 12. Still c**p though [:D].
It is an american strat Ive played it many times. Lovely guitar.
I have 3 guitars. I have a Fender strat, I have a Yamaha acoustic and an acoustic /electric ovation copy made by Tanglewood.

mibut

BARRYBLOKE, you don't fancy learning to play drums as well do you.
Got a very nice kit if interested.[:)]

RedNeckAngling

9ft is too long
I used to work at Cash Convertors years ago and they have very good buying policy regarding id etc etc.

When they "buy" stuff they take it in the back, look on ebay, look at catalogs etc and see what the average price is for said goods. Who ever sold the rod to them only made 4 quid.

As a rule they sell stuff at 3 times what they buy it for and 3.5 times if item is pawned.

If you are interested in anything and want to know what they paid for it, look at the handwritten (if it still is) on the ticket. If you take the letters out of

C O N V E T O R S and give each letter a number you will get the price they paid.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 (0's will be 0's and letters (should be 2 or 3) are the initials
of the person that dealt with the purchase.

I don't think Fender has a factory in China [:D][:D][:D]

gibby

Went to a jumble sale a couple of months ago and got an unused 1970's Mitchell Match, still in its original box for four quid. Was thinling of selling it on ebay, but am now using it myself - great reel.

newies_maggots

i could have had a right bargin to,

got this email from a guy from here the other day:

I ve just won a speedmaster 23/4 tc carp rod but im more of a match fisherman so im looking for around 90 retail in magazine for 140 if your interested mate Brand new never been used also come with & shimano baitrunner 1000xtea top of the range retails for 140 with tribal technium line 1300mtrs @10lb

the bugger got a credit for 180 from his tackle shop for them

GUTTED

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Just a note.. not all the cash convertors sell fishing tackle. In the Birmingham and surrounding area there must be half a dozen shops and they send the tackle to just one shop and sell it in there.

As I say a lot of it isnt cheap. However, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop rumaging amongst old stuff. I bought a 'matchpicker' type rod, a 10' quiver tip rod that should have a number of push in tops but only has one. Still... I liked it and have had fun with it, 12.99.

Also bought an old fibreglass rod that I wanted to use as a swingtip rod for bream. I wanted a soft rod, as one place I fish the bream seem to have soft mouths and throw small hooks easily, its a right pain. That rod was 7 and a bit short at 9' 6" but worth the experiment.

They also seem to mark things down after a while if they dont move. That fibreglass rod was reduced. I've also bought more fishing 'clutter' that pleases me, but wouldnt be of much interest on here from them.[:)]

All these rods have no rod bags, they must have someone who eats them. I've asked, but they just say we dont have bags for them, its just the way they display them.

The worst thing i've seen there.. was an old Efgeeco seatbox. One of those with the metal frame and is taller than it is wide. Looks like you'd be sitting on an old ladies shopping trolly. It was black , bowed in the middle where someone had been sitting on it, and all the frame had gone rusty, presumably its steel. And all for just 4.99 !
I wouldnt keep your rubbish in it, let alone mine ! [:0] It made me laugh.

mangrojack

they sell a little bit of tackle in the stourbridge cash converters but its not cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.