Glad to do my bit

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I was contacted by the Welsh blood service and asked if l was willing to donate my plasma for covid research. Of course l will and hopefully some good will come from my 2-3 weeks of feeling really rather cruddy. You can donate in one hit, seperate the plasma for research and use the red blood cells for blood transfusions, or you can go along every 2-3 weeks ish for as long as you have the covid antibodies(?) in your blood. They fit you up to a machine, pump your blood out, seperate the plasma and pump whats left back into you. I've opted for the second option, they can have as much as possible.
I asked about the Mrs as she had the covid aswell but they dont want womens. Apparently during pregnancy something develops in their plasma which if transfused into someone can be fatal. They can test for it but dont in Wales, just taking blokes plasma.
Anybody else had covid been asked to donate?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I was contacted by the Welsh blood service and asked if l was willing to donate my plasma for covid research. Of course l will and hopefully some good will come from my 2-3 weeks of feeling really rather cruddy. You can donate in one hit, seperate the plasma for research and use the red blood cells for blood transfusions, or you can go along every 2-3 weeks ish for as long as you have the covid antibodies(?) in your blood. They fit you up to a machine, pump your blood out, seperate the plasma and pump whats left back into you. I've opted for the second option, they can have as much as possible.
I asked about the Mrs as she had the covid aswell but they dont want womens. Apparently during pregnancy something develops in their plasma which if transfused into someone can be fatal. They can test for it but dont in Wales, just taking blokes plasma.
Good on you 👏 🥰

62tucker

Site Supporter
Yes daughter had 2 phone call about giving it. Till they found out Sam was actually Samantha 🤣

62tucker

Site Supporter
She’s never been pregnant so wonder if she could give plasma. 🤷‍♂️
Ps. So your saying. Once women have been pregnant they become poisonous. Sounds about right 🤣

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's been quite a drive on local radio for donors.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Its just like giving blood and you get a brew and a biccie. Just a heads up, if you have had covid but haven't been contacted and you would like to donate, contact your local Blood Service. 👍

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I went for Gene research a few years back

Wandered in, sat down, awaited interview, got paid my research fee

and then they asked, what group was I in ?

"Wrangler" was not the answer they were looking for !