Giving Blood

Chervil

Site Supporter
Have just booked, for what will be my 42nd blood donation. It should really be a lot more, as males can now give 4 times a year. However I have low Haemoglobin so, even though I go along, I can normally only actually donate about every year and a half, as it falls below their limit.

So a simple question. How many others, on here, who can donate, take the time to donate? I find it is one of the things I can do to help others and I never know when someone I love may need some back, from another donor.

There are other benefits, it was through giving blood that I found out about my low Haemoglobin. They test your blood for certain things, so it was always handy in the police as they check for things like HIV.
One of the questions asked, is if you have been to the USA, which I have, so they will test for some of the diseases carried by a certain mosquito, before it eats my brain.

If you don't donate give it a go, everyone there is really nice and remember "It's only a little prick".

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Unfortunately mine isn’t good enough for them otherwise I would donate. Though with the number of blood tests I have I’m sure they are taking it little bit by little bit.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Interesting to note that in Poland I believe blood donors and\or military get free bus travel

Chervil

Site Supporter
Whilst I no longer give at a total of 42, my wife is now at 83 times.
My wife donated once, then, unfortunately, the rules came in about CJD and as she had a transfusion when our son was born in 1983, she could no longer donate. I like the idea of free bus travel.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Chervil Ouch that's just pricked my conscience I used to be a blood donor and stopped going after some major life shifts. I will look at signing up again as I am A- which is rare only 7% of the UK population, I did joke when I found out the first time I donated 'If I had known it was so rare I wouldn't have spilled so much of it on rugby pitches up and down the country.

Chervil

Site Supporter
@Chervil Ouch that's just pricked my conscience I used to be a blood donor and stopped going after some major life shifts. I will look at signing up again as I am A- which is rare only 7% of the UK population, I did joke when I found out the first time I donated 'If I had known it was so rare I wouldn't have spilled so much of it on rugby pitches up and down the country.
Good man, now if some others follow your lead.............

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve been called a little prick on occasions. Sadly I am not eligible due to the medication I’m on. I have every respect for those who do.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Both Maria and I have donated in the past. Unfortunately the medication that Maria is now on means that she is now ineligible.
I was on 30+ donations when new rules were introduced about 15 years ago that meant that due to having spent some of my childhood in Sudan I could no longer donate. :(

willothewisp

willothewisp
Site Supporter
I got to about 45 times up to about 15 years ago but after a squamous cell carcinoma (medico speak for a skin cancer) safely removed with follow up checks and no after effects they said I couldn't donate. Maybe I'll go and ask again. At 75 I'm fit as a butchers dog and would like to get to the 50 mark for the badge.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
apparently when I gave blood,

the recipients reported that they never felt so good afterwards

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Never liked the idea of it. Same with the compulsory organ donation thing, signed out of that.

Lets hope I never need blood or organs.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I used to be a regular donor at home, but preferred the experience when I was living in France.

What do you get afterwards in England?
A cup of tea and a biscuit.

In France they used a bigger needle and took more blood, but it was done in no time. And afterwards it was half a baguette filled with delicious coarse pate and cornichons, plus a big glass of good red wine.
They have the right idea, I think.
Although I would not have wanted to drive afterwards.
:oops:

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
So many questions when I last tried...

Who's is it?
Where did you get it from?

All jokes aside I give every time I'm eligible as I'm O- it's in demand. Biggest issue I have is getting an appointment. Only way i can is to book my next one while waiting to be taken in to donate

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
It was when trying to give blood that I was told the devastating effect Ulcerative Colitis was having on my health. Post surgery my attempt to give blood was refused on the basis that I probably needed it more than they did. Quite ridiculous really as I was much healthier after surgery than before.