Girls in Shops

Robwooly

Just been to the supermarket to get a drink (the day has got a 'Y' in it after all) and got served by a girl who hasn't yet mastered the art of conversation, what's more she can barely touch the screen as her fake fingernails are two inches long.

Before that I kept making eye contact with another girl who was stacking shelves, mainly as I initially thought she had something gross hanging from her nose, turns out it was a dangly piercing. I'm not a fan of nose piercings as there's something bovine about them but when one is swinging around like the chimes of a new era then you think you really are getting old.

Then a few customers come in as I am leaving and once again these young girls look a bit weird- They have huge rubber lips, eyelashes almost as long as Checkout Girl's fingernails and a lot of botox going on, now I am wondering when the current trend for looking like an American prostitute began. This seems to happen every time I go into a shop where I live, either my town has a thriving red light district or it's today's 'look', If my missus reads this I have no knowledge of the former.

What struck me was all these girls would be really pretty without any cosmetics and it's like they are trying to conform to some image, the sort of women you see on certain TV channels, I could only imagine what social media is like and sure enough some of my distant family on facebook have got daughters who look like all of the above judging by pictures they post of themselves. I swear when we were young it was us blokes who looked like total twats and women looked classy, maybe that's rose tinted and I am out of order for judging these people on their looks.

Is it a freakshow or am I getting old?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Same round here too... absurd pouty lips full o botox, heavy black eyebrows and overdone eyleashes & nails like talons... they all, without fail, look like horrible clones...

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
You guys are just jealous that you can't carry off that kind of look.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Just been to the supermarket to get a drink (the day has got a 'Y' in it after all) and got served by a girl who hasn't yet mastered the art of conversation, what's more she can barely touch the screen as her fake fingernails are two inches long.

Before that I kept making eye contact with another girl who was stacking shelves, mainly as I initially thought she had something gross hanging from her nose, turns out it was a dangly piercing. I'm not a fan of nose piercings as there's something bovine about them but when one is swinging around like the chimes of a new era then you think you really are getting old.

Then a few customers come in as I am leaving and once again these young girls look a bit weird- They have huge rubber lips, eyelashes almost as long as Checkout Girl's fingernails and a lot of botox going on, now I am wondering when the current trend for looking like an American prostitute began. This seems to happen every time I go into a shop where I live, either my town has a thriving red light district or it's today's 'look', If my missus reads this I have no knowledge of the former.

What struck me was all these girls would be really pretty without any cosmetics and it's like they are trying to conform to some image, the sort of women you see on certain TV channels, I could only imagine what social media is like and sure enough some of my distant family on facebook have got daughters who look like all of the above judging by pictures they post of themselves. I swear when we were young it was us blokes who looked like total twats and women looked classy, maybe that's rose tinted and I am out of order for judging these people on their looks.

What certain TV channels ?
Asking for a friend .

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
There's a girl who fits that description at our local Wickes. The last time I saw her she looked like she'd been sucking on a can of expanding foam, I swear Ive caught Chub with lips like what she was sporting 🤣

Rich51

Site Supporter
Yes and yes is probably about right.
If you're old enough to think you're getting old then you're there.
Having seen my daughter go through her phase then yep they're freaks alright

grey

Site Supporter
The appearance most young girls seem to adopt always makes me smile - they look like the blow-up dolls in the back of Del-boy's waggon to me.

The way they use that whiney estuary baby style talk creases me up, especially as most haven't ever been out our county - and that's only 12x12miles!

One day they'll look back and cringe too, assuming all the botox doesn't lead them to an early grave.

grey

Site Supporter
There's a girl who fits that description at our local Wickes. The last time I saw her she looked like she'd been sucking on a can of expanding foam, I swear Ive caught Chub with lips like what she was sporting 🤣
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I try my best not to stare - through force of habit I find myself looking for barbules so I can identify the species :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

smiffy

Site Supporter
Good to know it’s not just an Essex thing anymore. I can stop being so embarrassed.

DontKillZander

Irregular member
Site Supporter
This is why I'm so keen to teach my daughter about goals and ambition, and what accomplishment / achievement actually is... and that it has nothing to do with likes/followers or selfies.

The easiest route for success as a woman, by far, is appearance, sex sells, body image / being desirable / being attractive -
actresses / TV personalities / social icons are first and foremost typically known for their beauty, there are exceptions - but exceptions they are... it is mostly all about appearance and sex appeal.

Katie Bouman, a female, recently captured the first ever space image of a supermassive black hole...

Ada Lovelace, a female, is credited with being the first ever Computer Programmer...

Maria Siemionow, a female, lead the team of surgeons which successfully carried out the first ever full human face transplant...

Our own late Queen Elizabeth, the pure epitome of class and social decency... amongst an endless list of other things, but her class was a great example as it flies directly in the face of this topic.

That's greatness... and I doubt you'd catch any of these greats doing a duck face selfie pose for likes and male attention -
but is greatness what girls are shown to aspire to?

No...
they are shown Kardahsians, or Holly Willoughby, and Ariana Grande...
And 100% of all of their successes can be attributed entirely to appearance, if they looked like Susan Boyle then none of them would be anything other than an ordinary person with an ordinary life.

The girls who are somebodies are studying, have hobbies and interests, pursuing great careers, aspiring to success and have goals and ambition... they wake up and cream their face, hair in a ponytail, job is a good'en - time for life...

The girls who don't have this fall back to stereotypically sexualising themselves, they live life looking into the mirror or camera lense, following what the other girls who live the same are doing, unnaturally straightening hair, fake eyelashes, drawing on eyebrows, lip filler, making their skin unnatural... their biggest achievement in a day is gaining some new followers, getting a few likes on a selfie, their biggest enjoyment from a day is reading about what Kim Kardashian said to her ex about her sister's holiday where she broke a nail.

Of all of my own goals in life, one of my biggest and most important is to ensure that my daughter understands where her aspirations in life should come from, and where they should not.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
We went to an evening wedding reception last Saturday. A bit of a posh do, really nice venue and very good friends of ours. It was like a wag's convention with the young women there, most of whom were very pretty in their own rights but over glamourised and many with fat lips, dolled up to the nines, little in the way of clothes .... not that I looked of course :)

I'm all for women making themselves look attractive, but attractive to themselves and others, not the selfie camera, and that's what most of this is all about, over emphasising features, pout lips, highlighted eyebrows, glamourous fingernails, bolt-on goodies for want of a better description, but doing so to make what is basically a two-dimensional onscreen image look it's best.
It's a fine line between looking naturally beautiful to looking like a cartoon character off the Simpsons :D