GIANT hemp

bluemack

Site Supporter
I know this has been asked several times over the years but i am getting old and forgetful (i,ll be 118 years old on 6th of may):eek:
can someone tell me the best way to cook GIANT hemp (on the hob) reasonably quickly.
I cooked some last week adding bi carb to blacken it and it took close on 2 hours which was i think way to long.
Also while i,m at it the best way to cook tares,i did some last year and they were on the hob forever and still did,nt go soft. Cheers. Mal

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
or if you dont want to use a flask soak it for 24 hours then boil until its split enough, if you cover it with boiling water to start with chances are it will be split enough after 24 hours soak but it does depend on the hemp.
Tares the same way but keep a close eye on them when you boil as they go from "perfect" to mush very quickly on the boil, if you want them black chuck an iron tablet in.

bluemack

Site Supporter
I did,nt really want to use a flask mainly because i prefer to monitor how its going but i,ve just done precisely that and will have a look at it in about 8 hours,if it should fail then i,ll try your method ken,as you say i think a lot depends on where the hemp or tares come from.
As for tares i,ve tried shop bought ones and i struggled to find a decent tare amongst them(too hard).I should know how to do it with my eyes shut after
fishing for over 50 years but it,s a bait i don,t use all that often except for feeding so you can get away with over/under cooking.
I want it right this time for using on the hook.
Thanks to Fred and yourself for the advice.(y)

Stretch1066

Life member
Site Supporter
Not used hemp for years, when I did I used to do it in a pressure cooker, soak it over night or as long as you can, put in pressure cooker bring up to pressure and cook for about 45 min, can depend on the size and age of the hemp, bigger and older stuff can take a bit longer.

davylad

I got some "giant" hemp a while back, and gave up trying to make it split. I reckon only about 2 out of 10 seeds split, no matter what method I tried. I soaked it for up to 3 days in bi carb, and simmered it for yonks, still no good. The smaller stuff is a doddle, but not really big enough for me to use on the hook, although good for feeding.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I get a few different types for the shop and in reasonable quantities like 15kg the 3.5mm Chinese hemp from these people is about as good as it gets now for splitting hemp of any type Welcome - Feeds For You

bluemack

Site Supporter
Well,i tried both methods suggested by Fred and Ken and although both worked i still only had a return of about a third
of the hemp splitting,strangely some were over cooked,some were just right and the other 2 thirds did,nt open!!!
SO, i think an order to copdock mill is in order. Thanks for the help though lads.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
If you are using them on the hook, does it matter if the seed does not split, as long as it is cooked enough so as not to swell up inside the fish?
Just pierce a hole in the top of it and in the side, and thread your hook through it.
Then catch fish after fish without rebaiting.

That's what my hemp master Barbelcatcher does, anyway. I usually forget to take my specs with me, so end up threading my finger on the hook. :oops:

Total

Site Supporter
^^ :giggle:....@banksy....And then casts out at the momentum of the cast makes you do a forward somersault and land back on your chair?:unsure::p:giggle:

chubby chubber

Site Supporter
for feed i use that buxtons last sack ive bought it was really good at splitt been honest i needing another very shortly as ive nearly used it all up