Getting out!

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
I can remember going fishing on the Witham with normal clothes and everytime you bent down your shirt exposed half your back. It was that cold we had to dip the rod in the water to free the line from the rings, which instantly froze as soon as you cast out. I would be 20'ish.

I'm afarid now, at 70+ I wouldn't venture out in anything below 7C unless I had thermals on, neck warmer and hat and a good flask of tea. Fish when the air temp was below 0C - no way now!!
Are you familiar with the " 5 Mile House" on the Witham barbelcatcher? The train used to stop there which was handy for us kids from South yorks without transport ( early 1960s )

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I was out this morning - the cold and rain don’t bother me because (a) I’m Welsh & (b) those conditions mean no one else is daft enough to play so I get the lake to myself as I did today.

Trying to screw every last minute out of the water whilst it is still available to fish

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Winters here, fished a match (well, knock up, only 8 of us) today, there was a cold NE wind (bloody northerners sending the cold down here..) whereas we usually have nice temperate South Westerly’s.... anyway I had a 9lb carp first put in and that won, from a usually prolific venue....

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
Winters here, fished a match well, knock up, only 8 of us) today, there was a cold NE wind (bloody northerners sending the cold down here..) whereas we usually have nice temperate South Westerly’s.... anyway I had a 9lb carp first put in and that won, from a usually prolific venue....

Well done you....:)(y)

feldri

Site Supporter
I don't do winter fishing. Hate the cold with a vengeance, always have. When it warms up to 15c I may think about getting some bait ready, but would prefer it in the lower 20's.

Zerkalo

Yesterday I had almost the whole fishery to myself. Only two other people fishing together on one of the other of the four lakes. This is usual in winter and makes me feel a bit sorry for the fishery, usually helps fishing wise though and is very peaceful, but did not make much a difference yesterday. I just wrap up warm and fish a feeder so I can drink coffee and then put my hands in my pockets if needed.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Are you familiar with the " 5 Mile House" on the Witham barbelcatcher? The train used to stop there which was handy for us kids from South yorks without transport ( early 1960s )
? not heard the five mile house mentioned in decades. I used to fish a drain at the back of that place while my dad was fishing the Witham open matches. Oh the good old days. ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yesterday I had almost the whole fishery to myself. Only two other people fishing together on one of the other of the four lakes. This is usual in winter and makes me feel a bit sorry for the fishery, usually helps fishing wise though and is very peaceful, but did not make much a difference yesterday. I just wrap up warm and fish a feeder so I can drink coffee and then put my hands in my pockets if needed.

Yeah, the good old 'coffe in one hand - sarny in the other' trick. Doing that gets a bite every time.

Zerkalo

I always joke about that with my dad too, I will text him 'Coffee Bite!' or something along those lines with a picture of the fish when it happens, which is surprisingly often.

Robwooly

I'm so looking forward to getting out again after Xmas as been working 24/7, don't care if it's going to be sub zero either although I can understand those who don't want to be out in such temps. I find it is a given that the only place you will find the fish biting will be the most chillingly windswept bit of water for miles

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
? not heard the five mile house mentioned in decades. I used to fish a drain at the back of that place while my dad was fishing the Witham open matches. Oh the good old days. ?

That’s a coincidence Tip, several times a year our school fishing club fished a match , one time was at 5 Mile House and the fishing was terrible so half of us moved to the drain you mention which fished its head off. We got disqualified from the match but caught plenty of fish ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
That’s a coincidence Tip, several times a year our school fishing club fished a match , one time was at 5 Mile House and the fishing was terrible so half of us moved to the drain you mention which fished its head off. We got disqualified from the match but caught plenty of fish ?
I often caught more than my dad did on the Witham. That little drain was full of pristine roach. Oh and the obligatory Jack pike. Because it was a mud hole I used to beg old bread crates from our local bakers and take one of those down to sit my box on. If you didn’t by the end of the day you needed a spade to dig your box out of the mud. The fishing was brilliant though. When we can travel again I may have a run down there and see if you can still fish it. Happy days. ?

Rick123

Site Supporter
I have to enjoy it regardless, and a cold wind does for me. I've all the modern cloths available, but I still have to enjoy it and a wind cold wind spoils it.

Birtleyheed

I'm 63, retired, a pleasure angler only, and fortunate to live within 5 mins of a fabulous commercial in North East England. Choose my weather a bit, but get on the bank once a week. With the onset of some arthritic fingers and shoulder bursitis I decided that life is too short, and determined to fish throughout the coming winter ( for the 1st time in years ). I wrap up well ( those footy players snoods are brill as part of my fishing apparrel ) add plenty of scran and a flask for teas, coffee or bovril plus a fishery good enough to scratch out at least a few pounds of roach, ide and skimmers on the toughest of days. Always enjoy my occasional trips with my sons, but also enjoy those sessions of total solitude, catching the odd fish, taking in the scenery, observing the wildlife, sometimes on a lake without another angler in the immediate proximity. I tell my wife I'm a tough geordie going fishing in winter ? ( but maybe not so tough if 0c, rain and wind all appear at the same time ! ). Tight lines all ?