Getting out!

Rick123

Site Supporter
I must be honest guys, even though I'm privilege being able to fish at any time, I find this cold weather difficult. It really has to be 10 degrees now before I venture forth. But I do wonder if I'm missing out much, as the it gets so cold the fishing seems to close down some-what. No looking for an argument, but wonder how others feel. Your age would be useful/interesting in the debate? :love::love: I don't have grayling close by as I'm told they feed in really cold weather?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Must admit, I struggle at this time of year. I'm out on Monday to do some canal practice ahead of a match but I don't enjoy fishing in a cold wind or traipsing across a muddy field.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When the weather is like this you really need a fishing-buddy to go with.
It makes it a lot easier getting out of bed and traipsing out into the cold and wet if you have a pre-arranged day out with someone than if you are just going by yourself with no commitments.
You've also got someone to share the day with, have a natter, put the world to rights and even to some degree compete against.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I struggle in the cold weather with arthritis in my knees, I do try to get out though I tend to keep my sessions short and often try to keep mobile also I try to fish after lunch, it's usually a little warmer and this time of year I have often found the last couple of hours before it gets dark to be most productive. So my view is Don't sit on the Bank freezing waiting for those last two hours just get there a little before so maximum chance of some fish with minimum chance of freezing my nuts off

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
65 now. I don't see cold or bad weather as a reason not to get out. Decent clothing, flask, hand warmers and some food means I can be cosy on the bank. The fish still want to feed.

Yes I choose not to pleasure fish if too much rain is forecast. But there are many more dry day's than wet most weeks. And there is no point going if the temperature is not going to get above zero. But again those days are rare.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Make the most of it while you can. Fishing Sunday for the first time since 11 Oct. I had to go into hospital for a quick operation for growths on my ankle. Turned out to be cancer so they had to take a large area away and do plastic surgery for a skin graft from my thigh. Its now spreading to my hand. Take every opportunity you can safely go its worth it.

squimp

Site Supporter
I sympathise about the cancer - I’ve had recent operations on my nose and ear to remove Bcc’s.

I fish more in the winter than in the summer - but only when conditions (fishing; not necessarily weather) are good. And usually short sessions.

This week I’ve been out twice and last week once. On all three days the river was perfect for what I was trying to catch. In between there was a cold snap and there was little point in going. Same applies now - lots of cold rain last night down here.

on Thursday I fished in pouring rain and mud and my new (lightly used) HH bib and brace was fully tested. It passed with flying colours.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
There does become a point at which the temperature is so low, and the conditions mean it's not worth going. I used to enjoy going fishing on the river in a heavy frost because I knew that I was guaranteed a grayling.But fishing should be enjoyable, so there is no point in going pleasure fishing if you are going to be scratching for a bite in awful conditions. That's the time to stay in and put your feet up with a good fishing book.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m with you on the 10 degree point. I’ve learnt over the years that on the venues I fish for the fish I target once when the temperatures are consistently below 10 it’s going to be hard. It’s not that I don’t go in sub 10 degree weather as I do but when I do I accept it’ll be hard compared to when it’s above that level. I don’t know what it is about that sort of 10 degree mark but a couple days at those levels and the fish seem to come on again. Plus it’s quite a comfortable temperature to sit in!

Arch

Site Supporter
Cold I can deal with. Rain I can deal with, it's when it's cold and wet I'm inclined to stay inside. Been out in it three days this week with work and the thoughts of going out again isn't appealing any more.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
I'm 78 and getting weak from old age and prostate cancer treatment. Furthermore I have poor circulation (always have) and hate the cold - it numbs my brain. BUT I've never yet not gone in a match because of bad weather. I take it as a sort of personal challenge. And I know that every body else, to some extent, is also going to feel uncomfortable, even if it's not obvious. I've got warm weather clothing, and am hoping for a pair of Muck boots this Christmas!

So I'm out tomorrow on Decoy, even though the forecast is for freezing tonight. Despite what some posters have suggested in the past, I have never found the good Open match anglers anything less than respectful of anyone who is willing to challenge them. So i enjoy the banter on equal terms with them, even though they are in a different class to myself. It makes me feel alive.

However, tomorrow I could probably do with help from the posters who say they never catch less than 100 lb from a commercial! I've fished Decoy in Winter in the past when no-one has caught a fish! ;)

alsur

Site Supporter
If I'm booked into a match I go whatever the weather, but pleasure fishing I choose my days, I will go if it's cold or river is in bad condition but I will put it off if better weather is in offing.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I`m lucky my club lakes are a short drive from home and a short walk to swims.

Sometimes I feel content with tiny roach in winter, fishing is fishing if you see what I mean.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Tomorrow's weather round my way is very probably a frost to start, then staying around freezing all day.
I'm 63 and I'm out tomorrow at sparrow-fart o'clock with a tub of maggot and a top 2 plus 2 for a bit-bashing session
and maybe hopefully a carp or two along the way.
I'll be trussed up like the Michelin man with multi layers beneath a thermal suit & boots, with a flask of Rosie Lee.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's weird. I pike fish all through the winter and my last time out was a few weeks ago and had a proper red letter session - 8 fish including 3 doubles up to 15lb in a 3 hour session on the Trent. I've not been remotely bothered about going out since.

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
It is a lot more of a challenge winter fishing, but the satisfaction when you do have a decent day is doubled . Its usually once a week now (Saturdays ) Home to a nice soak in the bath listening to " Sounds Of The 60s" Food , and then several Jack Daniels ( Fire) whilst watching the footy.

rudd

Site Supporter
Theres plenty of technical clothing available to keep cold at bay.
Had a night on beach to 1am this week.
Been on road today for 7 hours, got home and fished from 15:00 into dark for Perch will go tomorrow as well.
Have to take chances to get out as they come along at the moment.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I can remember going fishing on the Witham with normal clothes and everytime you bent down your shirt exposed half your back. It was that cold we had to dip the rod in the water to free the line from the rings, which instantly froze as soon as you cast out. I would be 20'ish.

I'm afarid now, at 70+ I wouldn't venture out in anything below 7C unless I had thermals on, neck warmer and hat and a good flask of tea. Fish when the air temp was below 0C - no way now!!