Getting out of the weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick

Hi, I am hoping someone out there can help? I am going to fish an old mature big gravel pit in Yorkshire very soon. The fishery is a private one and fishing is actually prohibited, no one has fished the venue for over 2 years(officially). I have managed to get permission. It is a vast lake probably around a mile and half in circumference. There are some huge fish in there, about 10 years ago a 35lb carp was caught and I have seen around even bigger ones cruising the surface. TI have also witnessed (6 -7 years ago) tench to around 8lb and Bream up to 12lb and since then the fishery has just been left to develop free of anglers. My problem is the lake bed appears to be very weedy, and with so little knowledge of the lake how do I go about finding a clear patch? or is it best to drag a swim and create my own clear patch? Will I be better off studying the lake to see where the fish are first? I think first of all I will try to tempt anything that will take boillie or sweetcorn? Any advice would be very welcome.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i wouldnt have thought there would be that much weed around at this time of year! if there is only a small amount on the bottom then pop-up baits could be the way to go! if there is a lot of weed then rake the swim and prebait if you can!

Mick

Hi, Yeah it seems that there is a year round covering on the lake bed, in places it is very thick, I am pushing towards the idea of having to drag my swim although this will limit the distance I can fish at. I intend to prebait well over a number of weeks first. I am in no rush to fish it as I know no one else can jump in. I really want to do this right as there are some superb fish in the lake, I would love to see some big specimens come out. Thanks for the tip

You could always try baiting with small particles in a known area. As the fish find the food they will start rooting about themselves and you will be surprised how quickly a shoal of bream can decimate 40sq yds of weed when looking for food. This method may not work, but if it does you are on a sure fire winner as to where to fish.

Can I have a new float, this one keeps sinking

Trevski

Good tip Mike.

Raking the weed would create quite a disturbance and
you'd need to bait up the area and leave it for a good
while for the fish to get confident with venturing
out into the open water before fishing it.

quote:Originally posted by mike_pk_waters
Heh, nice one. [:D] Welcome onboard folks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mick

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that tip, That sounds pretty useful, If i bait the same area for a while they will probably clear my spot. I think ill try both approaches, drag one swim and prebait, then just prebait the other swim. I think ill pre bait for about 2 weeks i want to hit the venue before it gets really cold. although I think the summer is when ill have the best sport. I am going to check out the swims tomorrow, am going to pull a sicky at work, im really looking forward to it. Thanks for all the tips.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Hiya Mick

Well I'm by no means an expert on fishing gravel pits but one thing I have learnt is that they never have flat bottoms!

I would spend a couple of hours with a plumbing rod, trying to get a mental picture of the underwater contours. A change of depth is normally a good fish holding area, whether its a drop-off, a bar or a deeper hole.

Another thing to bear in mind is that (unless the water is exceptionally clear) weed will not grow over a certain depth, since they require sunlight in order to survive. The deepest parts of the lake are likely to be the most free from weed.

Tight Lines
Simon

When I tried this method I started by using partiblend, but I soon realised this could be expensive, especially if the F.P.O found out. I ended up using stewed wheat, flavoured with mollases. Worked a treat. Hope this helps

Mike

Mick

Yeah you spot on actually, There are some very deep sections of the pit, I may try those first. Will take the plumbing set up tomorrow to. I am lucky as my uncle owns a tackle shop so I will be able to get breadcrumb really cheap I was just going to use this to prebait? I am hopeful that with 2 weeks to prebait there will be heaps of activity when i finally get round to fishing even if the weather has turned cold! Mind you i guess this is all practice for the summer really, if I can pick some fish now then in the summer months I should do great. Thats a great point about the depth and weed, i will see if its true tomorrow, thanks
Mick

Smaggot

Hi Mike
Im no expert on this but I can think of a few points.
1 If you rake you will cause to much disturbance carp will be reluctant to venture in clearings
2 If you feed small and use bream, there going to be all over your bait and any screemers are litly to be bream.
3 Sujest PVA Bag put the whole rig in the bag and wait, should keep you on the carp track rather than bream getting in the way.

Hope no ones offended by my sujestions.

Smaggot

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
So Mick - how goes the baiting campaign? And have you fished the pit yet?

Newt Vail

Mick

Hi Newt,

Yeah I fished the pit very briefly for a day on boxing day using the PVA bag method, I had a lovely 7lb tench, it was in superb condition a real cracker, but that was it. But please bear in mind that it was really cold on the day and I wasnt hopeful to catch anything!! I am going to slowly work the water over the next few months but I am not expecting anything too special until the summer months, How goes your fishing?

Mick

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Slow with the cold weather much like yours. Plus we've had more rain lately than for the past 7 or 8 years and since I've only lived here for 3 years, places and techniques I used just don't work real well right now.

If you have a few to spend, I ran across a great new echo sounder. The sounder head is a wireless transmitter and you can tie it to a rod and cast out then look at the bottom features on the viewer. Around $170 US so with shipping, VAT, duty, and such you would probably spend around 170 but I would imagine several anglers could share one and split the cost.

This thing is brand new. First I've seen or heard of it was from a BassPro catalog that arrived two days ago.

You can order from
Here
quote:SmartCast Wireless fishfinder lets you find fish from the bank, dockor anywhere! Simply attach Remote Sonar Sensor to your line, cast, and get a real-time view of the world below is transmitted to the display unit.
Features:
- 100' radius remote operating range
- 100' depth
- Ultra-wide 90 sonar coverage
- Backlight
- 128x64 pixel display
- Waterproof display
- One-touch menu navigation
- Anti-skid bottom converts to carrying case
- Folds up for storage and transport
- Uses 8 AA batteries (not included) for 60 hours of use (without backlight).
- Remote sensor lasts for approx. 400 hours.
- Not intended for ice fishing or use below freezing temperatures.
Unit /w sensor is $170 US

Replacement sensor is $20 US

Newt Vail

Lid

Hi Mick

That's sounds pretty lucky to be the only person to be allowed to fish such a great sounding big gravel pit. If you don't mind me asking, how on earth did you manage it? Pretty useful having your uncle as a tackle dealer too!!

Leighton

Mick

Hi Leighton,

Yeah I know i am a luckyman, Basically the guy that owns the pit is a business colleague, He is into bird watching and the pit is some kind of special bird sancturary, so he doesnt allow anyone to fish the pit, except for lucky old me, I know anglers sneak on as i have found evidence of them fishing but not many, its a fairly unknown pit in the middle of no where!! As for luck with my uncle, yeah it has its perks but it is only a tiny shop for the local town!!

Newt

That echo sounder looks great it could be the perfect solution for this pit, its a little expensive but i think it could be the idela solution, I have never used one beofre but am i correct in assuming that you attach a sensor to your line, cast it out and then slowly retrieve it. It then relays information on what lies beneath? is there some kind of scale foe volume or sizw of fish or if it is a fish at all?
let me know, i am interested?

Mick

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Exactly correct on using this particular one.

The "fish ID" part is fairly simple since it shows the depth of the object and will be larger or smaller according to several things.

A larger object will generate a larger fish picture. But ... a fast moving fish will always show up as smaller than one that hovers under the sounder. Also - it ain't the brightest sonar in the world and will give you a fish symbol if there is a floating clump of weed or a tight school (shoal?) of tiny fish.

I absolutely trust the bottom picture with the depth. What it shows is what's down there.

I take the fish indicators with a bit of salt. They indicate there is something down there and it's depth.

I have spoken to folks who were expert at using marker rods to suss out the bottom contours. Any who have later gone over the same area with an echo sounder have been amazed at the underwater features they never knew about. And often even on waters they fished regularly.

Newt Vail

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
Mick
Use a marker Float,a fox bottom feature finding Bomb (looks like a Sputnik)

Stu
***L.U.F.C.***

Status
Not open for further replies.