Getting on a bit

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I`ve been tested, yes I`m mean...

Not sure if I have got this right but I think it was Bungay cherry tree that did away with all concessions and honorary type stuff. They
said with all the discounts they couldn`t make ends meet. When I look at the age of most anglers I know I can see where what they
mean.

My three clubs come to around three quid a week and of course I can fish whenever I want, cheap as chips.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I`ve been tested, yes I`m mean...

Not sure if I have got this right but I think it was Bungay cherry tree that did away with all concessions and honorary type stuff. They
said with all the discounts they couldn`t make ends meet. When I look at the age of most anglers I know I can see where what they
mean.

My three clubs come to around three quid a week and of course I can fish whenever I want, cheap as chips.
cinque ports for me, now works out at less than 50p a week

Cobweb

Site Supporter
They should means test you pensioners and then charge full book prices for those that really don't need a concession. 👍🏻
I can see how my mates yellow Rolls Royce upset you at Tonbridge when he was catching chub on the Medway. That's my £3 a week State Pension increase from 17th April blown then

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
one of the reasons why my club ticket was cheaper

is that members get a discount on the fees if they turn up for work parties to improve or maintain club waters

I attended 4 days last year, cutting weeds-lilys out of the cut, trimming undergrowth that had spread, strimming and rebuilding pegs where needed, on all those days, the same half dozen faces turned up to assist, and those same faces were all wrinkled and age worn, only one younger member apart from the baliff turned up to help

now I know us old uns get more time off to commit to work party days, but the weekend ones were the same, no young uns, so as far as means tested, that to me is summat and nothing, I and the others put the time in to make sure the entire club membership have a good place to come fishing in

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
They should means test you pensioners and then charge full book prices for those that really don't need a concession. 👍🏻
Whoahh, hold up a minute. It's the concessions that helps us poor pensioners pay the extortionate prices for the bait that keeps the fisheries going. 😬 Right, must make a call to get the East wing roof sorted. Must sort a ride on mower too, the grass needs a hair cut. :giggle:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Whoahh, hold up a minute. It's the concessions that helps us poor pensioners pay the extortionate prices for the bait that keeps the fisheries going. 😬 Right, must make a call to get the East wing roof sorted. Must sort a ride on mower too, the grass needs a hair cut. :giggle:
I did have drinking buddy and work colleague that owned a yellow Rolls Royce from his days as a flower seller in Covent Garden. He lives at Edenbridge has a motorised mower, and hates rabbits cos they stripped all the bark off the trees in his apple orchard. I've not managed to catch any 6lb chub in that stretch of the Medway he used to fish but I will one day!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I did have drinking buddy and work colleague that owned a yellow Rolls Royce from his days as a flower seller in Covent Garden. He lives at Edenbridge has a motorised mower, and hates rabbits cos they stripped all the bark off the trees in his apple orchard. I've not managed to catch any 6lb chub in that stretch of the Medway he used to fish but I will one day!
The best thing to do there mate is to get hold of a sea trout or salmon, and have a picture taken of you holding it in one of the known pegs and a big grin your face..."Look what I've just caught..." then look at his face. Wind him up good and proper. :ROFLMAO:

BoldBear

One of my clubs has scrapped the pensioner rates for new pensioners as most of the membership are either pensioners already or are fairly close to that age.

Thankfully a few years ago I was awarded a free life membership for services to the club over the years so it doesn’t affect me at all and any existing pensioners retain their status, as it will only affect new pensioners :)

I can see a lot of clubs that will be doing the same in the next few years unless there are more young-uns coming into the sport.

Keith

Last edited:

spooky1966

Site Supporter
He didn’t like trains did? Especially back in the 60s 😉😉😉

Cobweb

Site Supporter
He didn’t like trains did? Especially back in the 60s 😉😉😉
No, he was a genuine flower seller, not one later in life. My father in law showed his blackberries at the RHS Chelsea Flower show one year , and didn't get arrested!;););)