Getting on a bit

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
just gone to renew my club membership for the new season

and had call to ring the secretary to see what discounts I would get for the days work partys I attended and got stamped in my book this year

purely for the fact of getting the amount of cash right for the handover

been informed that Im now of an age to become "concessionary" and the cost this year is gonna be negligable

that kinda hit home harder than all the other things I now qualify for because of age

(gives me enough spare loot to join another local club, maybe out to Ashford so I can go annoy PG on his lakes)

nejohn

Site Supporter
just gone to renew my club membership for the new season

and had call to ring the secretary to see what discounts I would get for the days work partys I attended and got stamped in my book this year

purely for the fact of getting the amount of cash right for the handover

been informed that Im now of an age to become "concessionary" and the cost this year is gonna be negligable

that kinda hit home harder than all the other things I now qualify for because of age

(gives me enough spare loot to join another local club, maybe out to Ashford so I can go annoy PG on his lakes)
Same happened to me last year I had just turned 60 when I renewed, I got a surprise when they told me it was only £25.... I honestly thought it didn't kick in until I was 65

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello Mick, I enjoy the lakes at Surrenden. peaceful and good parking. Not sure without looking at the rules but I don`t think they
allow dogs. Still on light duties after a cataract but I reckon it will be safe after three weeks, if you fancy a guided tour just give me
a bell.

Also in MV so I`m well catered for regarding stillwaters.

Yes getting on a bit we get things a bit cheaper but I`d much rather be younger and pay more. I fancy a session at Mote park but
where can you have a piddle? Fancy a few hours on the RM in Hythe itself, can let the missis loose on the shops {as and when} but
its the same problem. Was some bogs by the bridge near the bus stops but last time I walked past it they had been turned into of
all things a travel agent.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Just looked at the rules for Aldington, the same. Whilst I don`t own a dog I do not have a problem with them at fisheries, ok in
places there are sheep but if the four legged one has its lead on a peg why worry.

I`m also a member of Stalham, my favourite swims in the boatyard are now out of bounds because boat owners complain weights
are being cast into the wet shed. I think they are being pedantic but hey ho lets just blanket everything with rules:(

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Just looked at the rules for Aldington, the same. Whilst I don`t own a dog I do not have a problem with them at fisheries, ok in
places there are sheep but if the four legged one has its lead on a peg why worry.

I`m also a member of Stalham, my favourite swims in the boatyard are now out of bounds because boat owners complain weights
are being cast into the wet shed. I think they are being pedantic but hey ho lets just blanket everything with rules:(
its one of the major reasons why you will find me and himself on the canal

took him up to mote one day, and fished the old boat club stagings, he popped into the bushes and in a couple of hours brought me back 6 rats he had hunted and caught,

(he's getting on a bit now too, come june he will have lived with me 15 years, dogs home said he was 18 month when I adopted him, I thought nearer to 8 months looking at his teeth, so that makes at least 105 dog years, possibly 112, being as they reckon 1 dog year equals 7 human years)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Also in MV so I`m well catered for regarding stillwaters.

Yes getting on a bit we get things a bit cheaper but I`d much rather be younger and pay more. I fancy a session at Mote park but
where can you have a piddle? Fancy a few hours on the RM in Hythe itself, can let the missis loose on the shops {as and when} but
its the same problem. Was some bogs by the bridge near the bus stops but last time I walked past it they had been turned into of
all things a travel agent.
Can you use the Wilton Street entrance? It is a bit of a trek to the swims from the car park there, but there are toilets opposite the approach to the landing stage for the dinghy/dragon boat adventurers, and a number of nearby swims, loads of people and dog walkers around all day. I drive down to the disabled swims by the boathouse where more than a few of the dog walkers allow their companions to take a "splash" at the end of the hard stand. There are more platforms down there which have recently been re built!

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I get concessionary rates but only the one. Being disabled and old I did ask once if I could get an extra discount for qualifying twice (It's always worth a try)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Can you use the Wilton Street entrance? It is a bit of a trek to the swims from the car park there, but there are toilets opposite the approach to the landing stage for the dinghy/dragon boat adventurers, and a number of nearby swims, loads of people and dog walkers around all day. I drive down to the disabled swims by the boathouse where more than a few of the dog walkers allow their companions to take a "splash" at the end of the hard stand. There are more platforms down there which have recently been re built!
if you fish the sports centre bank, your pretty secluded due to the bushes to, so watering the plants aint so much a problem

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Thank you gentlemen, haven`t walked around Mote for thirty years, just had it in my head about the piddle situation so
food for thought.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
One of the funniest things I ever saw was at Mote

was fishing one of the Gilberts wednsday mid week open-MVAS matches, and a load of Hasidic jews turned up to go on the boats

there was summat quite ridicuously surreal about watching black clad and hatted jews pedalling the swan boat around the lake rather badly surrounded by the rowboats

JLK

They should means test you pensioners and then charge full book prices for those that really don't need a concession. 👍🏻