Getting In To Rod Fishing...

Rick123

Site Supporter
Hi! So basically, I have fished the pole ever since I took up fishing many years a go and with the fisheries I fish at sometimes, I feel like I am limiting myself with just one approach. For example - A pool I often fish at does very well with various methods on a rod such as the waggler. I'd be tending to target carp, some of which go to 20 lb in the pool I fish but most are in the 8-15lb region, I've got a bit fed up of losing a lot of fish on the pole due to pull outs when I do hook a bigger carp and feel like now is the time to teach myself how to fish with a rod.

I literally have no idea how one works, couldn't even tell you how to set one up and how the reel works etc so really would be starting from scratch. Can anyone recommend me an article/video that is a good starting point to get my head round the basics?

Also, which rod would you recommend I use? I don't want anything to expensive as this is my first rod and just want one that is solid and will do me well with some carp but also not be an issue if I catch some smaller fish. Flexible I suppose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Forgive me BeadyRoller but have you tried some proper strong elastic in your pole? I'm talking about an 18-20, with a 10lb main line and 7lb hook link. You will comfortably land big carp on this gear, this is not a plug for my blog, but you will see a recent 8 kilo fish I landed last week on 15/17 elastic, and I often use 20 in the margins. One I use pulls the fish up short in a few seconds, naturally you need a good pole, but I'm guessing goyu have that already. Find Ben Townsend on You-tube and look at his margin fishing video, he uses silk in a 20 as I do in difficult swims, it worth trying before spending more money.

BeadyRoller

Although I’ve not used either the Korum All Rounder or the Darent Valley rod; out of the two I would choose the Darent valley rod as they get really good write ups from anglers that I know who do use them.

Plus it comes with a quiver tip section as well so it gives you two rod type options.

Keith
Thanks for your help Keith, appreciate it.

BeadyRoller

Forgive me BeadyRoller but have you tried some proper strong elastic in your pole? I'm talking about an 18-20, with a 10lb main line and 7lb hook link. You will comfortably land big carp on this gear, this is not a plug for my blog, but you will see a recent 8 kilo fish I landed last week on 15/17 elastic, and I often use 20 in the margins. One I use pulls the fish up short in a few seconds, naturally you need a good pole, but I'm guessing goyu have that already. Find Ben Townsend on You-tube and look at his margin fishing video, he uses silk in a 20 as I do in difficult swims, it worth trying before spending more money.
Will take a look. Cheers Rick.

I have just been reading and maybe a Pellet Waggler rod may be the way to go as I intend to mostly waggler fish. I know this is probably a really stupid question but can you do standard waggler fishing on the bottom on a Pellet Waggler rod? I have been reading the Ninja Daiwa 11ft Pellet Waggler rod would be good for what I'm after and handle the bigger carp. Any thoughts?

satinet

Site Supporter
Yeah you can. It won't be quite as good for smaller fish as a match rod but not terrible.

Funnily enough I was fishing with my middy 4g 'micro muscle' waggler rod the other day. Caught loads of silvers and quite a few small carp. Fairly powerful rod but fine I don't think I bumped too many more tiddlers than normal. Small snake type lake the 11ft length was nice.

Tbh though like I said I would look at feeder fishing with method/banjo/pellet/hybrid feeders as it does something more different to the pole in my opinion. Obviously there are plenty of heavy duty feeder rods around.