Getting In To Rod Fishing...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Did you see the video from 27 February on their Facebook page? Maybe not for me if that is a fishing pond not a stock pond!
This one? :LOL:

For me I'll probably never get to fish it anyway because there are such a variety of venues around here, that even when it's closed season on the Severn, I can find somewhere to fish.

WickerDave

This one? :LOL:

For me I'll probably never get to fish it anyway because there are such a variety of venues around here, that even when it's closed season on the Severn, I can find somewhere to fish.
That's the one, although it doesn't play here for me.

BeadyRoller

We are very spoilt for choice in Shropshire. Some lovely places. I can't seem to find the John Wilson rod in stock anywhere sadly.. looks really good as well.

BeadyRoller

So I was thinking either the John Wilson Avon Rod or the Daiwa Commercial Feeder Rod 11.6" which have been selling on the Hull Fishing eBay page but both seem to be sold out absolutely everywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks very much for your help so far, much appreciated.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@BeadyRoller

Without knowing your budget, here's a couple that will do the job...

On the 2nd link, use the drop-down menu to choose length. The 13' power one is a decent rod.

WickerDave

So I was thinking either the John Wilson Avon Rod or the Daiwa Commercial Feeder Rod 11.6" which have been selling on the Hull Fishing eBay page but both seem to be sold out absolutely everywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks very much for your help so far, much appreciated.
There's lot of JW equivalents out there, the Darent Valley Avon has been recommended before in the lower price range.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Most commercials can be tackled with a 10-11ft feeder rod and a 12ft float rod. Line for the feeder should be 6-8lb approximately 0.23 dia and 4lb Maxima will cover most float situations.

I'd suggest a simple 12in hook length running rig for the bomb and pellet or feeder and a 4inch hook length for the method feeder where allowed, (some fisheries don't allow the method).

Float wise buy some 3AAA insert wagglers or 0.3g loaded floats and some pellet wagglers for fishing shallow if it works on your home venue. Shotting for standard float fishing in 4-5ft of water is simple a No10 or No 8, 10 ins from the hook with another No 10 or 8, 10ins above that and another 10ins above that so you have a nice slow drop through the water.

For the pellet waggler put all of the shot around the float and start 2ft deep but be aware you'd be better off mastering fishing on the bottom first

Feed and hook bait can be maggots, corn or pellet with hook lengths and hook sizes to suit.

trotter2

A JW Avon would be a good shout I use one myself. You should get one second hand of eBay plenty out there.

BoldBear

For fishing for Carp where they go into the twenties region I use a 12ft Greys Multi-Tip rod which has both a 1.5lb tip section and a 2lb tip section and will handle hook lengths of between 3lb or 4lb all the way up to 17lb’s (although I would never use anything near as heavy as 17lb’s with it).
I use the 1.5lb tip section for Tench, Crucians, smallish Carp and Barbel on smallish rivers and I use the heavier 2lb test curve tip section when I’m surface fishing and bottom fishing for Carp up to mid 20s and for fishing in floodwaters for Barbel.

I do own 2 of the original J.Wilson 1.25lb Avon/Quivers but I find them a little too light when trying to handle Carp and Barbel on the smaller rivers where you need to be able to control them or lose them.

Another option; that can give you a quiver tip as well as a 1.75 Avon style tip; is a Barbel rod.

I know you don’t get an out and out float rod; (although using a float on the Twin-tip rod is not completely out of the question); but you get a good rod that will handle your larger Carp as well as handle your smaller species.

Keith

BeadyRoller

So many great recommendations here. Thanks so much. Need to narrow it down now though. If you were targeting carp 10lb plus, which approach would you go for? Feeder or waggler? That will hopefully make me be able to narrow it down then. Just a bit confused on all the information as like I said, I'm an absolute complete novice when it comes to rod fishing.

BoldBear

Go for the rod that will suit the size of the Carp that you are most likely to come in contact with.
If a water has Carp up 25lb but they are only ever caught once in a blue moon then you are limiting yourself if you go out and buy an out and out big Carp rod.
A medium to heavy waggler rod like the Drennan Bream & Carp rod would be fine for catching Carp up to around 10lb to 15lb and is also ok for smaller fish too.

I caught this 23lb Carp on Tench gear while after Tench on 6lb line using my Greys multi-tip rod with the lighter 1.5lb tip section and I managed to steer the Carp around a few large lilly beds too.

FEA05017-E68-A-4-A52-A8-F6-2962-DF55-CD8-A.jpg

Keith

Last edited:

BeadyRoller

Go for the rod that will suit the size of the Carp that you are most likely to come in contact with.
Iif a water has Carp up 25lb but they are only ever caught once in a blue moon then you are limiting yourself if you go out and buy an out and out big Carp rod.
A medium to heavy waggler rod would be fine for catching Carp up to around 15lb.

I caught this 24lb Carp on Tench gear while after Tench on 6lb line using my Greys multi-tip rod with the lighter 1.5lb tip section and I managed to steer the Carp around a few large lilly beds too.

Keith

This has been recommended me a few times, what you reckon? I'd say the average stamp of fish I'd be connecting with would be 6-12lb but 15lb plus fish aren't uncommon. The largest fish in the pool are around 22lb.

BoldBear

If the pool wasn’t full of lilly beds and you had a fair amount of room in front of you in which to play out your fish then that rod would be absolutely fine for catching Carp at or around the 15lb Mark.

But on a small and weedy river or a lilly strewn lake you could have a few problems when trying to control a big Carp. It’s just horses for courses.

Keith

Last edited:

BeadyRoller

If the pool wasn’t full of lilly beds and you had a fair amount of room in front of you in which to play out your fish then that rod would be absolutely fine for catching Carp at or around the 15lb Mark.

Keith
Brilliant, thank you. What sort of reel should I match it up with do you think?

BoldBear

I would be quite happy matching your rod with a 3000 series front drag reel or a 4000 series front drag reel like the one in my picture which has a wider diameter spool.

Or if you are using the rod on a rod rest a rear drag reel with a freeline function would be a good idea, as the fish can then tear off under a slight tension without the chance of your rod flying into the water.

Shimano-Aero-4000-FA.jpg
The reel in this picture has spool reducers fitted and if removed can take larger amounts of line.

Keith

Last edited:

BeadyRoller

Still doing research regarding a rod.

This seems to have good reviews. Would it be good for waggler fishing?

BoldBear

I haven’t any experience of the Korum all rounder rods but they look fine.

I especially like the 1.5lb test curve one rather than the 1.25lb one for handling decent sized Carp, however the 1.25lb rod might be more suitable if you are going to be casting wagglers.

Keith

Last edited:

BeadyRoller

Thanks for the replies BoldBear.

So it comes down the the Korum All Rounder and the Darent Valley rod, which one do you think I should go for?

BoldBear

Although I’ve not used either the Korum All Rounder or the Darent Valley rod; out of the two I would choose the Darent valley rod as they get really good write ups from anglers that I know who do use them.

Plus it comes with a quiver tip section as well so it gives you two rod type options.

Keith