Getting In To Rod Fishing...

BeadyRoller

Hi! So basically, I have fished the pole ever since I took up fishing many years a go and with the fisheries I fish at sometimes, I feel like I am limiting myself with just one approach. For example - A pool I often fish at does very well with various methods on a rod such as the waggler. I'd be tending to target carp, some of which go to 20 lb in the pool I fish but most are in the 8-15lb region, I've got a bit fed up of losing a lot of fish on the pole due to pull outs when I do hook a bigger carp and feel like now is the time to teach myself how to fish with a rod.

I literally have no idea how one works, couldn't even tell you how to set one up and how the reel works etc so really would be starting from scratch. Can anyone recommend me an article/video that is a good starting point to get my head round the basics?

Also, which rod would you recommend I use? I don't want anything to expensive as this is my first rod and just want one that is solid and will do me well with some carp but also not be an issue if I catch some smaller fish. Flexible I suppose.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter

BeadyRoller

Thanks very much for the replies, will be watching these later for sure, used to love watching Matt Hayes as a kid!

What would you all recommend as a first rod then? Like I said, want it to be able to handle the bigger carp but not be restricted to just fishing that way of that's possible at all?

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Thanks very much for the replies, will be watching these later for sure, used to love watching Matt Hayes as a kid!

What would you all recommend as a first rod then? Like I said, want it to be able to handle the bigger carp but not be restricted to just fishing that way of that's possible at all?
It depends what you’d class as big carp and also your budget? I have a Preston Tyson 13” Waggler rod with which I’ve had Carp to 9lb and Silverfish smaller than an oz. It isn’t perfect but it handles a mixed bag well and is really good value for money at £50.

If the majority of your fishing will be Carp then you might be better off looking at a pellet Waggler or a power rod but these may be a bit too stiff for smaller fish like skimmers, Roach etc.

In terms of reels, look for a reel size of 2500/3000. I use a Daiwa Ninja or Daiwa Crossfire for my float fishing, both decent for their price range of £30-£45.

Last edited:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I have landed Carp into double figures on a waggler, although at times it's squeaky bum time. One of the lighter power wagglers will do the job, just remember to strike a little softer when you're after the silvers. But it's not all down to the rod, the reel has also it's role to play in how the drag is set.

BeadyRoller

The pool I fish has carp up to 20lb and has loads in the 8-15lb range. Just going by match reports I can see waggler and "bomb" are very popular methods which produce big numbers. I don't match fish myself but always helpful to see which methods do well.

So yeah, not really interested in the silvers.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
The pool I fish has carp up to 20lb and has loads in the 8-15lb range. Just going by match reports I can see waggler and "bomb" are very popular methods which produce big numbers. I don't match fish myself but always helpful to see which methods do well.

So yeah, not really interested in the silvers.
You’d need something a bit beefier as @ukzero1 says. Not an area I know a huge amount about but there will be plenty on here who can recommend rods for that type of fishing. Good luck and tight lines 👍

satinet

Site Supporter
There are loads of rods on the market especially in the mid range bracket. It's super competitive.

You want to be googling 'power match rod'.

How much beef you need obviously depends on the nature of the water (snags...) Which won't be different to your pole fishing.

What I would say is that better waggler rods are worth it to some extent because you are holding it all the time (weight) and line pick up can be important (tip speed). You can't just Use a beefy carp or Avon rod quite as well because they won't compress much to cast floats as don't pick up line very quick. I e you want a rod with a thin top that has power further down - big fish will be played with a big bend in the rod often with the rod held sideways.

Last edited:

satinet

Site Supporter
Feeder rods there are plenty of power options in they market length mainly depends on how far you need to cast.

If you're new to rod fishing the method feeder is a good start as the tackle side is very simple, it's very low tangle and it casts easily. It also catches well on most waters. There is obviously much less over lap between feeder and pole than pole and waggler so it might expand your options more.

Last edited:

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I only use 1.25lb test curve twin tip John Wilson Avon rods for all my stillwater fishing, these have caught me lots of high doubles and several low twenties. In snag free commercials these are beefy enough for the bigger carp but don't overpower smaller non-carp. These are flexible rods, use the Avon top for float and surface fishing and the quiver tip top for feeder and leger fishing. I think this type of rod was one of the suggestions when you asked this previously at https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/help-with-choosing-rod-and-reel.223020/.

If you are only buying one reel then I'd buy one with the freespool/baitrunner feature, you don't have to use this feature if floatfishing but it's useful to have it if needed.

Is this a Shropshire day ticket water? If so, I'd be interested to know which one.

BeadyRoller

There are loads of rods on the market especially in the mid range bracket. It's super competitive.

You want to be googling 'power match rod'.

How much beef you need obviously depends on the nature of the water (snags...) Which won't be different to your pole fishing.

What I would say is that better waggler rods are worth it to some extent because you are holding it all the time (weight) and line pick up can be important (tip speed). You can't just Use a beefy carp or Avon rod quite as well because they won't compress much to cast floats as don't pick up line very quick. I e you want a rod with a thin top that has power further down - big fish will be played with a big bend in the rod often with the rod held sideways.
Thanks very much for your help satinet. Very helpful and gives me a good description of what I need to be looking out for.

BeadyRoller

I only use 1.25lb test curve twin tip John Wilson Avon rods for all my stillwater fishing, these have caught me lots of high doubles and several low twenties. In snag free commercials these are beefy enough for the bigger carp but don't overpower smaller non-carp. These are flexible rods, use the Avon top for float and surface fishing and the quiver tip top for feeder and leger fishing. I think this type of rod was one of the suggestions when you asked this previously at https://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/help-with-choosing-rod-and-reel.223020/.

If you are only buying one reel then I'd buy one with the freespool/baitrunner feature, you don't have to use this feature if floatfishing but it's useful to have it if needed.

Is this a Shropshire day ticket water? If so, I'd be interested to know which one.
Thanks Dave for the reply, I will have a look at the John Wilson rod, the fish you say you have caught on it sounds very similar to what my needs would be so sounds great. Ah yes, completely forgot I made that thread, never got round to it last year but really intend to this summer.

I fish mainly at Quarry Pool Fishery just outside Bridgnorth. Have you heard of it? I see you're from Shropshire, any recommendations that I may not have heard of?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I fish mainly at Quarry Pool Fishery just outside Bridgnorth. Have you heard of it?
This isn't far from me, 26 mins on Google Maps. I googled it and it looks like a lovely lake (or two?) but I hadn't heard of it before. We're spoiled for choice really in the Bridgnorth area I think. What with the Severn close by. People travel from miles around to fish the Severn around Bridgnorth. 😁 But as far as fisheries around there go I really like Hurst Farm which has a load of Crucians (as well as Carp). They're very deep lakes at Hurst Farm though and I've only fished it once myself.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
Thanks Dave for the reply, I will have a look at the John Wilson rod, the fish you say you have caught on it sounds very similar to what my needs would be so sounds great. Ah yes, completely forgot I made that thread, never got round to it last year but really intend to this summer.

I fish mainly at Quarry Pool Fishery just outside Bridgnorth. Have you heard of it? I see you're from Shropshire, any recommendations that I may not have heard of?
I've only been in Shropshire for about 17 months and with the lockdowns and travel restrictions I haven't tried a lot of waters I'd intended to. The carp mentioned were from my old familiar waters back in Leicestershire. I don't think I've heard of Quarry Pool, so thanks. I did list a few waters in one of my Where You Fished Today threads, see Fishery List.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
This isn't far from me, 26 mins on Google Maps. I googled it and it looks like a lovely lake (or two?) but I hadn't heard of it before. We're spoiled for choice really in the Bridgnorth area I think. What with the Severn close by. People travel from miles around to fish the Severn around Bridgnorth. 😁 But as far as fisheries around there go I really like Hurst Farm which has a load of Crucians (as well as Carp). They're very deep lakes at Hurst Farm though and I've only fished it once myself.
26 minutes for me too.

Did you see the video from 27 February on their Facebook page? Maybe not for me if that is a fishing pond not a stock pond!