Getting in is one thing, staying in is another.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I got into I.T. via work in the early eighties. I've worked on mainframes and midis, used paper tape, punch cards, magnetic tape and so on. When the internet started out, we were writing raw HTML using a text editor. The closest to social media at the time was bulletin boards & newsgroups "Usenet" I think it was called. It was fairly anarchic and unregulated. But it served its purpose.

Then as the internet grew...the Ad-Men Cometh! ... and it all began to go downhill very quickly, resulting eventually in the profit-driven maelstrom that we know today.

I've worked with I.T. and computers all my life (and still do). But I railed against the ubiquitous "smartphone" and social media in general. I do not like the effect they have on individuals or society as a whole.

MDs is my sole exception to this rule.

ae111sr

Site Supporter
My first was a Sinclair ZX81, and like Trogg added the 16k Ram pack and housed it all inside a full sized keyboard case with a Sony TCM-260 cassette recorder fot loading programs. Then came an Acorn Electron with a Plus 1 expansion unit which had two cartridge slots. I had cartridges for a word processor, a spreadsheet and a database and a RAM expansion unit. I later added a pair of double sided 5 1/4" floppy disc drives - no more loading from cassettes :)

Up until that time I had been a Civil Engineering technician for 12 years but a job came up for someone with a building background and an interest in computers so I applied and got the job. Goodbye civil engineering hello computers. The first ones I got to use were Compaq desktop 286 with removable hard drives so you could take your data and documents with you and put them into a similar machine in another office. I started writing programs in basic and then Dbase and wrote the company system for building surveyors. All this was before Microsoft brought out Windows. I moved on to other types of databases and systems and finished work in 2015 as a SQLserver administrator.

As far as home computers are concerned the last ready built machine I bought was a Mesh bought around 2009, since then I'be built and upgraded my own hardware. What I have now does everything I ask of it, the most harware intensive thing I do these days is image processing with Lightroom.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
My first computer dabble was with an Apple Macintosh SE back in 1989. Been using Macs ever since at home and work.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
ZX Spectrum for me as a kid and then various Commodores/Amigas before getting a PC. Used to love (and still love) playing Point and Click adventure games like Monkey Island and did a lot of projects for School on the computer. Got an A* at GCSE I.T. one of only 3 in the year. And my Brother since works in I.T. so while I never really progressed past GCSE level my Brother has always been on hand as a helpdesk and for spare parts etc.

I've used forums all the time since about 1999 too! Mainly music and then movie forums before I found MD.

Stephen

Yorkshire is best
Site Supporter
This was my first portable computer that work provided. Weight 23 pounds, came with a shoulder strap but not spare shoulders.
As computers have changed over the years I have had to adapt to using them. The one common theme with computers is they keep breaking down. 558ad7dbe256519d1aa371f2f3b92673.jpg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've worked with I.T. and computers all my life (and still do). But I railed against the ubiquitous "smartphone" and social media in general. I do not like the effect they have on individuals or society as a whole.

I totally agree with you Muskie

I started out on a Packard Bell system out of a box about 23 years ago because the eldest daughter was using them at school and needed one for homework.
Internet came with it - AOL3.0 if I remember and we thought it was the dogs doodahs "You've got Mail!" lol

'Dialing up' to get on the t'interweb thingy was an experience, and my first experience with chat rooms nearly cost me my marriage :D

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
'Dialing up' to get on the t'interweb thingy was an experience, and my first experience with chat rooms nearly cost me my marriage
Don't leave us hanging Dave; what happened?(y)

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I had a video games console with "pong", it had several other games which were basically "pong". My mates future BIL was well into computers, he had a Sinclair early model, spent hours typing into it so it would print out the word HELLO on a reel of silver paper that looked like duct tape,burnt the letters on rather than using ink. Never gave any thoughts to computers till we had one at work, then got mates BIL to build me one for the kids, windows 95 and Encarta, internet was years away.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Had an #086 what ever the number was, running Qdos which had to be loaded at boot via a 5.25 floppy.... horrid thing

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
My first work computer was a PET. They cost more than a car at the time believe it or not. 8KB of RAM wasn’t cheap in those days!

PET 4000 series
CPU: MOS 6502, 1 MHzRAM: 8, 16, or 32 KB / 32 or 96 KBROM: 20 KB, including BASIC 4.0Video: MOS 6545 12-inch / 12-inch monochrome monitor, 40×25 / 80×25 character displaySound: single piezo "beeper" (optional external speaker driven by MOS 6522 CB2 pin)Ports: 2 MOS 6520 PIA, MOS 6522 VIA, 2 Datassette ports (1 on the back), 1x IEEE-488Notes: basically an upgraded 2001 / The 8000 series was basically a 4000 with 80 columns and slightly different keyboard with smaller (11 key) numeric pad

1581972515825.jpeg

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't leave us hanging Dave; what happened?(y)

@Dave Spence he was busy chatting up a sexy little hottie that had got him all excited, he started talking dirty to her and saying what he'd love to do..... then @Dave pushed his luck and asked to meet up...... it never happened cos T shouted upstairs "be careful what you type next cos i'm down here getting ready to cut 'em off" :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Along those lines lol

It was in the days when chat rooms were allegedly the hotbed for illicit affairs and I was chatting to a woman whilst apparently ignoring my woman.
Never cross an Irish lass with a jealous streak at the wrong time of the month :D

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Did you know that Bill Gates wanted to sell the rights to his operating systems outright to IBM? They laughed at him and said anyone could write an operating system whereas IBM would always have exclusivity over PC hardware, it was too hard to copy.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Along those lines lol

It was in the days when chat rooms were allegedly the hotbed for illicit affairs and I was chatting to a woman whilst apparently ignoring my woman.
Never cross an Irish lass with a jealous streak at the wrong time of the month :D

Aye yer living proof of that...till that day you were 6ft4 and then you found out a paddy lass with a cast iron skillet can make anybody under 6ft by the time she's finished bring it down on the head :blahblah: :blahblah: