Getting in is one thing, staying in is another.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
How did you first get into the IT age? It makes my colleagues chuckle when I tell them that I was in charge of a computer aided learning centre back in 1985. In those days I embraced IT although I was more involved/interested in the software programmes that were available and I ensured proficiency in Supercalc (later to become) Excel, Word, etc. Nowadays, as everyone knows, I am a technophobe, it is amazing how quickly IT has advanced, and is still showing no signs of slowing down. If you are not directly involved in computers in your jobs how do you keep current with the advances?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Dragged screaming and kicking Dave. My daughter shows me how to do certain things with our computers when she visits. Having parents that told me not to press anything when I was younger didnt help. I watch the young kids in our family now and when they are on a computer they simply press buttons when something happens and see what it does. They dont worry what effect it has and I think this is what educates them.

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
1996 on an IBM pc,it cost me about £1100 and at the time it was the dogs danglies,with all of 16 meg of ram,the power was mind blowing ??

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I got into it many years ago when a neighbour came over with a 286 with 4 meg ram (remember those?) that he bought but couldn't get working. He knew I tinkered with CB and Amateur radio's so asked me to have a look at his computer. After a couple of hours I managed to get it going, my biggest mistake. After that I had somebody turning up nearly every day with a system to see to so took a course in computer repair. I ended up at Northern College showing others how to 'build' them from boxes of parts.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
1996 on an IBM pc,it cost me about £1100 and at the time it was the dogs danglies,with all of 16 meg of ram,the power was mind blowing ??
First one I bought was £1500 and the memory was in K!!!

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
my first computer was the zx80, then i got the zx81 with the MASSIVE 16k ram pack..i mean, that was an extra 16k...it was amazing and it could even run a thermal printer (anybody remember those silver paper things)!
Moved on and had the spectrum 48, then the spectrum plus series also had commodore 16, 64, vic20 and amstrad cpc 464, pcw 9512 with the printer

Then came the amazing, the mind blowing....286 computer and onwards through the early 386 systems to the computer to beat all computers...the world controlling, unbeatable computer to end all computers.... the pentium 1

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mrs M got a 2nd hand desktop against my better judgement and I was tempted to the darkside.
People nowadays have no idea of the joys of dial up modems :poop:

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mrs M got a 2nd hand desktop against my better judgement and I was tempted to the darkside.
People nowadays have no idea of the joys of dial up modems :poop:

Or mate who doesn't understand the noises and quickly pulls the plugs out of everything then runs round to your house almost crying because he thinks he's killed his dads new computer :blahblah::blahblah:

Chervil

Site Supporter
I did a CSE Computer Studies course whilst at school in 1974-76. We didn't actually have a computer, so filled in program cards in "Basic", which then went off to be run on a computer elsewhere.
We did have a teleprinter, a bit like the one in the picture, which you put a phone handset into rubber cups, I think it connected to LSE. You could play games on it, like landing on the moon, but each move was typed out. At the time it was brilliant. I also remember a trip to Lloyds, where they had a complete floor of cabinets running reel to reel. The chap showing us around informed us that they had the computing power to run two moon shots.
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48K, in about 1984.

telex-machine-teleprinter-information-technology-png-favpng-Ldvv4yGje6dW01NyqTqCqJjLu.jpg

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Moved to the north of Scotland in 1994 after I was offered a job, when we settled in the boss told me he had given the job to a relative, ended up without work so I went on a government funded course on computing. Learning DOS based Word Perfect, Lotus 123 and DB4, passed the six month course in two months and ended up teaching others. Self taught on Microsoft Office which I used in a later job as a Quality Administrator. Cannot build or repair computers but am quick to learn new systems.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
My first experience of a PC was at work. We had one installed in a small office and I would spend my lunch hours learning how to use programs like Excell and Word.

I bought myself a Word Processing typewriter when studying for my OU degree and eventually bought my own PC when cost allowed.

Today I keep up to date with what I need to keep up to date with mainly through Google. The recent putting together of my Clothes Pegs video taught me some new skills/use of technology.

rd115

Non-catcher of Barbel
Site Supporter
My folks were dirt poor working class so didn't get a PC until i was about 15, and that was a Pentium II 350 with a Matrox G200 GPU.

After that i went to work and upgraded every so often, i pretty much have the same PC from then, only like triggers broom it's had about 8 new cases and 12 new sets of internals :ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
CSE computer studies at school. Mechanical engineering apprenticeship led to a working life based around CNC machines, so was always around industrial computing. Personal computers at home via the Sinclair Z80/Z81/Spectrum route and finally to PC's after being given a second hand Windows 3.1 machine.

Have always been a keen reader of computer magazines from the early Personal Computer World Magazine days and have kept up with the technology via work and messing about with desktop rebuilds/purchases and help running a fishing club website.

Taught myself AutoCad, Word, Excel and through my other keen interest, photography, Photoshop, more through trial and error than anything!:giggle:

Recently moved onto Widows 10 via 3.1 95, 98 Vista, XP, and Windows 7, and dabbled with Apple machines but didn't like them.....The interest continues.....:D

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I did a CSE Computer Studies course whilst at school in 1974-76. We didn't actually have a computer, so filled in program cards in "Basic", which then went off to be run on a computer elsewhere.
We did have a teleprinter, a bit like the one in the picture, which you put a phone handset into rubber cups, I think it connected to LSE. You could play games on it, like landing on the moon, but each move was typed out. At the time it was brilliant. I also remember a trip to Lloyds, where they had a complete floor of cabinets running reel to reel. The chap showing us around informed us that they had the computing power to run two moon shots.
My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 48K, in about 1984.

View attachment 26998

The Telex machine is kept so clean
As it types to a waiting world ...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Does a Commadore 64 count? LOL

Luxury.
We had an Amiga 500, with of course 500K of RAM.
No hard drive, it booted (eventually) from a floppy disk, Workbench.
I took the plunge, bought an upgrade of another 500K, opened the Amiga up, took a deep breath and slotted the card in.
It worked! A full Meg of RAM - the power, the speed!
The thought of it gave me a glow in my pants.

I now use a 20" iMac, a superb machine, but I wouldn't dare to open it up.
Fortunately, I have a son ... ;)

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Bought a second hand ZX81 probably around 1982/3 ish... had a 16K ram plug in that was a bit dodgy and would break connection and crash the machine from time to time. Hooked up with a tape deck for save / load.

Leaned a lot about basic at the time.

Then progressed on to an acorn electron(?) a few years later... interestingly I never studied computing at school although I was quite tech savvy, but my working life has been dominated by them.