Getting Fish Out of Weed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mant01

Ive just started fishing on the pole and like fishing near the weed. My problem is that if something big grabs it its normally solid straight away and end up losing the fish. Its got abit annoying now as its happened 6 times in the last 2 outings. Something big grabs the bait I lift into it and in the end I either get snapped off or it comes free.
I am using 14 elastic and 5lbs line on a wide gape 18 hook. Any advice for getting fish back out the weed? I'll just add I try to use a pulsing sideways strain to ease it out but so far no joy.

Sharky001

This is how I do it. Size 14 5-6lb hook length min at dead depth and not to close to the snags/weed. I will not fish too tight up to the weed but a bit off. If you put some tempting offerings to tempt them out a bit, they will soon find your hook. React quickly to bites and plan ahead as to where you strike I will strike generally out and up if you keep the line between pole end and float not too slack you won't be giving it slack to pull back on. Depending on how much fuss you have made getting it out i generally move on to another swim after pulling two or three out, to let it settle down. I hope this helps. This might not be how some do it but it works for me. It helps if you have a stiff top kit!

dstev

Dave
What elastic are you using? I use middy shock core 12 - 16 elastic and usually have a 3lb - 5lb hook length. I would also recommend at least a size 16 probably 14 hook, you are going to be pulling with a lot of force and therefore need to hook well into the fishes mouth or it will just break the skin. Also ensure you don't have too much elastic, especially close to the reeds. I use less than 1 metre. You should be able to pull tench and small carp away, you may struggle with big carp though!

pegasus

benny
if its thick dense weed and the fish are beesties thenyou need 20 elastic 8-10 pound line and a good strong hook

misfit

dont you strike towards the snag/weed so the fishes instinct is to swim away from it ??

dstev

Dave
Originally posted by misfit

dont you strike towards the snag/weed so the fishes instinct is to swim away from it ??

A bit of a gamble to be honest, most fish swim the way you strike, even sometimes near weed.

8 - 10 lb line? Takes the fun out of it somewhat, unless its guaranteed to be a 20 lb + carp.

pegasus

benny
it works somtimes but not all the time.
the fish might be laid in the weed when it takes the bait so it dont matter how you strike cos your already in the sh!t only way is to bully em through it.

Larry

Lazarus
Why use a pole i fish close to weed all the time on my clubs pool i use a carp rod 10lbs mainline 9lbs hook link .Ilock everything up tight on the reel when i get a bite just hold on tight &let the rod do the work .Eventually the rod tips moves back then gradually pull fish out .

crusty

Originally posted by supersuperleeds

Fish a bit further away from the weed, you will soon draw the fish into were you are fishing.

[:T]

Give yourself some room.

Ian

ATF

I have found by striking hard into the direction of the snag / weed nearly always ends up with the fish running into open water. Beef up ur gear and dont be afraid to haul them away from snag as fast and hard as u can. If ur gear is well balanced and strong u should be able to get them out of it

mant01

Thanks for the advice everyone Im gonna step up my gear abit and try abit further off the weed. The thing is that you can see the weed moving and the fish seem to go around it in circles and arent keen on coming far out so I thought against the weed would get the best result. I'll try and tempt them out with some nice groundbait and try striking in different directions to see how the fish react.

Status
Not open for further replies.