Getting back into match fishing/what pole ???

Joshwood1

Hi everyone,

gave up match fishing 5 years ago and sold my gear (what a mistake I know) and have been fly fishing at a high level since. Getting back into it and want to go straight back in and get some quality gear. Been looking at some poles and looking to spend £1000-£1500. Seen some good deals and my ‘list’ consists of a Sensas Nanoflex 875, Matrix MTX3 and the new Daiwa match winner MW5. Does anyone have any experience with these poles and could leave them a little review ? I used to use a daiwa tourney but finding a good second hand one at the right price is not easy plus I’d like some form of guarantee. Cheers !

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
If you liked the tourney I would go for the Daiwa, There is a review of it in this months "Improve Your Coarse Fishing"

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Can I mix it up a little ? Check out the Maver Oculus 999 XS. A pole worth twice the money in my opinion but, don’t tell Maver that. 🤣. Fantastic package with it.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I think the total package that comes with a pole is a big factor these days...number of topkits, couple of short-stops etc.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Personally I’d just buy a second hand pole capable of doing what you need, if you’re starting from scratch you’ll need to be buying a lot of other stuff as well , get a decent used pole for £500, and spend the rest on rods reels box nets luggage terminal tackle etc the list is endless

Robbie888

I have recently bought a MTX 3 which I can not fault for fishing commercials, only down side is extra top kits are not available at the moment.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Can I mix it up a little ? Check out the Maver Oculus 999 XS. A pole worth twice the money in my opinion but, don’t tell Maver that. 🤣. Fantastic package with it.
I want to mix it up to 😁 tricast perception has great reviews . The 999 has got very good reviews to

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Personally I’d just buy a second hand pole capable of doing what you need, if you’re starting from scratch you’ll need to be buying a lot of other stuff as well , get a decent used pole for £500, and spend the rest on rods reels box nets luggage terminal tackle etc the list is endless
He might be a chef so 1500 quid is only a couple of hours overtime. 🤣🤣. You ok pal ? How’s your little dog ? Ok I hope. 👍

smiffy

Site Supporter
The chefster’s advice is mine aswell. Second hand is the way to go if you have to fork out for a load of other gear👍