Getting Abu close faced reels serviced/sorted. Have fishingreelrepairs gone out of business?

adriang

Site Supporter
I've been trying to get hold of fishingreelrepairs.co.uk down in Plymouth so I can get some old closed faced reels serviced, but I can't get any reply from their online contact form, sending emails and the phone is never answered..

Alternatively, can anybody point me to somewhere where I can get a couple of 506's serviced?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You can also give these a ring. They service reels.

QM Service - 01752 603001

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What's wrong with servicing them yourself?

Parts are still available, such as the pin, spring and carrier. The rest is a case of cleaning, degreasing, and re-greasing

For example:

Other sellers are avaialble

Parts are still available, such as the pin, spring and carrier. The rest is a case of cleaning, degreasing, and re-greasing

For example:

Ceramic pick up pin £12 at Jim’s Reels.

trotter2

Not really a great lot can go wrong them them really,about the only part that goes is the pick ups.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter

Parts are still available, such as the pin, spring and carrier. The rest is a case of cleaning, degreasing, and re-greasing...

I have found that it's a simple matter to strip the reel right down to its constituent parts, then select the necessary replacement parts. I have suitable degreasing and lubricating materials.

Then I look at all the bits on the table top, and think
"HOW THE HELL DOES THIS LOT GO TOGETHER?"

If you are as mechanically inept as I am, send it to the experts!

adriang

Site Supporter
Just out of interest what is wrong with the reels ?

One of them, the 'bell housing' doesn't sit straight, pretty certain that's all one fixed unit. (the piece that you have take off to access the spool, which the pickup pins sit in). I've been watching eBay and looking online off and on for a few months for a replacement and not found one, so unless the threaded bit, which screws into the reel can be straightened, that's looking like a 'write-off'. Maybe this is called the winding cup!

The others (I've got 5 of them now), I think they are all OK, just want a good going over, but my thinking was to send them all somewhere with the instructions 'can you build me 3 decent reels' from them.

I've been sat on them for a number of months, but on Sunday I had a session on the Thames, and set up 2 waggler rods, each with 506 mk2s. One of them just feels rough and like it's going to seize on me at any time, I've already had one replaced under warranty, and after that session, it prompted me to get on with getting the mk1s into a serviceable state because I don't have a whole lot of confidence in the newer ones.

trotter2

Try a winding bell of another reel and see if it's straight . Hopefully that will show if it's the bell or the thread inside the reel that's damaged.

Not really a great lot can go wrong them them really,about the only part that goes is the pick ups.

Brass pick up after a lot of use. The wear on the pick up traps the line in the Bell Housing preventing smooth line lay.

12DE742E-1F0F-4150-8DA2-032C55EF469C.jpeg

A Ceramic pick up after a lot of use. No wear at all.

38C29B3D-D70D-4425-B5FC-F4F8FA63B42B.jpeg

As trotter2 says “not a lot to go wrong”

adriang

Site Supporter
Brass pick up after a lot of use. The wear on the pick up traps the line in the Bell Housing preventing smooth line lay.

12DE742E-1F0F-4150-8DA2-032C55EF469C.jpeg

A Ceramic pick up after a lot of use. No wear at all.

38C29B3D-D70D-4425-B5FC-F4F8FA63B42B.jpeg

As trotter2 says “not a lot to go wrong”

The ceramic pickup is from a 1044 or 506 mk2? Not from a 501/506 mk1? It sounds like it would be an excellent upgrade

trotter2

I think the ceramic pin came in with the 506 MK2 but it should fit the old 500 reels Inc the 1044, 704 706 reels. Maybe the 507 MK1 as well I think. They are all much the same set up inside the bell cap.