Getting a newbie going....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancey

Hey guys,

I bought my younger brother a membership to my club for his birthday and my mum bought him a rod licence as one of his presents.

He has been with me a few times and he loves it, he has been using my pole and I have been fishing the tip.

I don't really want him to continue to use my kit too much due to the wear and tear and risk of him breaking it as he wouldn't really be able to afford to replace a section if he broke it for example.

My questions is, what would you recommend he buys to get set up?

He will be purely pleasure fishing.

Our club lakes can be equally fished by rod or pole, although as normal the pole will dominate.

He doesn't have an endless budget but is willing to save up to get decent kit.

I have seen a kit in argos (not saying to buy this one, but similar) that was a tip rod reel, a match rod + reel and a 7m pole with landing net and keepnet (fish friendly) plus a few bits of terminal tackle for 100. Or he could spend 100 on a semi-decent pole.

Im not sure how best to advise him, would he be best of getting a wider range of lower standard kit for example the argos kit, or start with a semi-decent pole?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Smileybri

spend a 100 on a pole and he will still need other bits and bobs,elastic,bushes,bungs,floats,shot,the list goes on,plus the pole is likely to be heavy,short and not very rigid.
personally i would advise a rod and reel,no limit to how far he would be able to fish and the wind wouldnt present as much of a problem,gets him fishing and learning while he saves for a pole if thats what he really wants

svenc

London Blanker NOT
TACKLE UP THE CHEAP WAY

Fibreglass Match Rod 12 3.6m 10.00

reel 1 get 1 free 10.00 for 2

Line about 3lb x 100m 2.49

4 division double cut shot 2.49

Packet barbless hooks size 16 to nylon 10pack 0.99

3 floats at about 85p each 2.55

1 disgorger plastic 0.39

60cm round net with telescopic handle 10.00

A plastic box for the tackle 0.99

Maggot box 2.11

Reel pvc electrical tape for backing on the large capacity reel saves spending too much on line 0.25

SUB TOTAL 42.26

Taken from a post in tackle review section.

markomark

Hi

I don't mean to leap on a plug, but I would be looking at used gear. If you look at my website for example I have a used 7m full carbon pole by Leeda listed for 30 at the mo and I also have well priced rods too. The reels aren't all on yet but I could certainly do one for around a tenner. Have a look around but it i under construction still so not everything is listed!

Regards

Mark

dancey

Thanks for the help guys.

My only concern is that if he goes over to a rod and reel from the pole, he will loose interest as he isn't catching as much, most of the pole fishing he has been doing is within 7m to the margins. I have never had a really budget (sub 100) pole, are they that bad at less than 8m?

dancey

Originally posted by markomark

Hi

I don't mean to leap on a plug, but I would be looking at used gear. If you look at my website for example I have a used 7m full carbon pole by Leeda listed for 30 at the mo and I also have well priced rods too. The reels aren't all on yet but I could certainly do one for around a tenner. Have a look around but it i under construction still so not everything is listed!

Regards

Mark

I did think of 2nd hand. It will probably be the way to go with getting better kit for a fraction of the price.

for 30 you cant really go wrong.

markomark

Originally posted by dancey

Originally posted by markomark

Hi

Regards

Mark

I did think of 2nd hand. It will probably be the way to go with getting better kit for a fraction of the price.

for 30 you cant really go wrong.

Indeed, I even have poads of rigs for a pole so he would be up and running bar a net and chair (both of which I do stock)

[8D]

Give m e a shout if you want me to price up a kit for him

Mark

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
In all honesty he would be better starting off with rod and reel as it will give him a much better grounding in all aspects of the sport.
A pole can come later.[;)]

markomark

I'm confused, the last post on this thread said it was by Peter and there is no sign of it. I got an email and everything....huh?

Mark

--------------------

cess monkey

, i`ve seen too many young anglers with poleitis.

SO lol

its just another aspect

i hardly ever use the rod now

just like i use a computer at work instead of a drawing board ,

BLOODY DINOSAURS LoL[:T]

dancey

I am currently looking into setting up an online tackle store myself, and one of the suppliers I have found would mean I can sort him out with a semi decent setup for a very good price indeed. He will have to wait a little while but will be better in the long run.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Cooky

i started on the whip then pole and now i have gone onto the waggler and now the feeder and i prefer the waggler and feeder more than i do the pole

yes the pole is good for accurate feeding and dropping a hook bait over the top but i think you have so much more option on the waggler distance for 1 and not having to hold the pole another

zenith20

Have you looked at the Middy White Knuckle Margin pole? It's around 7m and it's priced at around 40.00. Just had a quick look here.... http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/OUTFITS/my728pole.htm and this comes elasticated as well. Not sure if it's what you're after but it's worth a look.

dancey

Originally posted by zenith20

Have you looked at the Middy White Knuckle Margin pole? It's around 7m and it's priced at around 40.00. Just had a quick look here.... http://www.bosfish.co.uk/PRODUCTS/OUTFITS/my728pole.htm and this comes elasticated as well. Not sure if it's what you're after but it's worth a look.

That is a realy good call actually. I have seen them on ebay for 35! I can hook him up with a cheap rod and reel combo, then one of these as he only fished the margins with a pole anyway.

And there is no way you can rival the margin accuracy of a pole with a rod and reel.

Thanks for the help!

zenith20

That is a realy good call actually. I have seen them on ebay for 35! I can hook him up with a cheap rod and reel combo, then one of these as he only fished the margins with a pole anyway.

And there is no way you can rival the margin accuracy of a pole with a rod and reel.

Thanks for the help!

Definitely not. You're much more accurate in the margins with a pole.

No probs. I hope the info helped.

Tom.

HISH

I got a Shakespeare contender match rod and reel posted for 20, Its the rod i use now for my feeder and float fishing and is without doubt my best fishing buy, i also got a Middy HotSpot margin pole 9.5m for 55 shop around mate and you'll find the bargains and offers, my advice though, go with the names you can trust

getfishing

Pete

Thanks for the help!

Definitely not. You're much more accurate in the margins with a pole.

No probs. I hope the info helped.

Tom.
but if you used a long rod and a pole rig, you would be just as accurate and have more control over a hooked fish.

Sorry it isn't really related to the main topic

Status
Not open for further replies.