Get Knotted !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Everyone,

Which knots do you use on a regular basis and can you give a written description on how to tie them?

The reason I ask is Barrie (Barrie44) is drawing some animations up to include in a page to show how to tie them and we need some ideas of popular knots in coarse fishing and descriptions

Get Knotted [:D] .....

Dave Datafile2.gif

Lid

Well done and thanks Barrie for doing the animations!!

I'm having trouble with knots at the moment. I always used to use half blood knots for hooks and swivels, but read, and occasionally found, that they can slip.

I started using John Wilson's Masheer knot for bigger hooks which seems to work OK, but find it kinks the line very easily, even when I fully wet the line before tightening. When I tried it with my link ledgers setups it was much too kinky, so went back to half bloods for these. Tucking the half blood knots just seems to make a right mess.

I have found that with ordinary mono, a tightened half blood knot is absolutely fine for my rigs. However yesterday I was trying to used some Drennan double strength line, which is pre-stretched. An ordinary half blood on this was worse than useless and slipped off easily.

In summary I'd definitely like some advice on the best knots too use please, especially for swivels and eyed hooks with pre-stretched mono. Most of my rigs use size 10 to size 4 hooks on 4-5lbs b/s lines.

Lid [:)]

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Hi, Lid try this Palomar knot,

Datafile4.asp

teepee.

Lid

Thanks Teepee, I'll give it a go, if the animation would slow down a bit that is, lol.

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
this is my Palomar knot.
Datafile4.asp

Double the end of line back on itself about 6 inches and
squeeze together and push loop through the hook eye.
Next with end of loop make an overhand knot around standing line. Leave end of loop large enough to pass hook or lure through it.
Pass the hook or lure through the loop, as illustrated in gif.

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Blood Knot
Cross the lines and wrap one line three times around the other. Now place the tag end through the loop formed by the two lines.
Wrap the other line around the standing part of the other line three times, and put the tag end through the loop from the opposite side.
With both ends through the loop in center extending about 4 inches. Slowly pull the saliva wetted knot tight by pulling on both standing lines.
The finished knot looks like this and tag ends can be trimmed as close as possible to knot.
Datafile4.asp

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Lid

Barrie

I find you need 4 turns for a full blood knot to be secure with mono!!

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Improved Blood Knot
"This knot used to join lines of unequal diameter"

Double the smaller diameter line. Wrap it five times around the larger diameter line and bring it back between the two strands.
Twist the larger diameter line around the doubled line three times, and place its tag end back through the loop in the opposite direction.
Pull the wetted knot slowly to tighten it. Use your finger-nails to push the loops of the knot together. Trim all loose ends one-fourth inch from the knot.
Datafile4.asp

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Lid good point but thats how I do mine most the time, Any way just gives folk the idea what to do, I know people do more turns
every one has there own way of doing knots.
Datafile4.asp

Lid

Re Improved blood knot

quote:Twist the larger diameter line around the doubled line three times, and place its tag end back through the loop in the opposite direction.
I would use 4 turns for safety here.

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Dang and blast it I give up [:D] [:D]
Datafile4.asp

Lid

Years ago, and I mean years ago in the 70's, I used to tie my eyed hooks by whipping 8 or 10 turns over a full loop along the hook shank. Once perfected, it works very well and I think Tony Miles once wrote that this knot gives 100% strength!!?? I need to practise it again though as I keep making a pig's ear of it at the moment. [:(]

That's it folks - 1000th post. [:D][8D][:D]

Last edited:

Beebs

Gave up using blood knots for same reason as Lid - kept slipping. Only ever use Grinner knots - really strong - haven't had one fail on me yet.

Bigger hooks - started using knotless knot even without using hair rigs - trim it and super glue it - nice.

Lid

Barrie - our two post crossed earlier. The reason I suggested four turns is for safety rather than personal preference. Perhaps we should test a 3 turn full blood knot against a four turn one and see if there actually is a difference.

Beebs - where's yer grinner knot description then please!!??

Beebs

quote:Originally posted by Lid
Beebs - where's yer grinner knot description then please!!??

Sorry old chap.

Datafile4.asp

And of courde the double grinner for joining 2 lengths of line

Datafile4.asp

Congrats on the 1000 posts Lid.[:D][8D][;)]

Last edited:

Lid

Thanks Beebs. Nice animation - was it all your own work??

jonesr

Nice one![:D] Good subject even for us Oldies!!!!!!!![8)][8)]

Ron J

Age isn't everything!Experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

ANJIEJON

i dont no how to annimate it but same as lids i tie eyed and spade with a seven turn whipping knot lay line down shank form a loop by cumming back to the eye of hook round seven times and through the loop wet and pull never lets me down

JOHNDEARN

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
I really like the palomar. With an eye too small to easily pass thru the loop, I just run the line thru then back the other way which gives the same loop.

Knot works well for me with braid or mono, hook or swivel, and lures. Plus it's easy enough to tie.

And nice animations guys.

Newt Vail, Concord, NC. USA
Datafile3.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.