George Floyd

62tucker

Site Supporter
Politicians should keep their gobs shut and not comment on the outcome of ongoing trials.

The only thing in Bidens favour was that the jury were already sequestered and did not hear his comment.

I believe the judge stating he could call a mistral were because of comments by Maxine Waters.
Wonder if trump had said the same your response would be the same

62tucker

Site Supporter
When he 1st got arrested and was being put into police car all he was saying was “ I can’t breathe”. Long before he forced his way back out of the car and had to be taking down to the ground. It’s what he said when he always got arrested.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Probably because he did murder him. Kneeling on someone's neck for 9 minutes so that they die can be seen by some as murder
Perhaps, but innocent until proven guilty. It was always going to be stacked against him with all the social media and airtime this has gotten.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Probably because he did murder him. Kneeling on someone's neck for 9 minutes so that they die can be seen by some as murder
Your statement should read, " kneeling on his neck which contributed to his death.......".
I doubt very much that Chauvin deliberately murdered the man. At best it was manslaughter but the entire legal process had been hijacked by the media and various anti-police factions.
What really happened, what were the circumstances? We don't know, we weren't there.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
When he 1st got arrested and was being put into police car all he was saying was “ I can’t breathe”. Long before he forced his way back out of the car and had to be taking down to the ground. It’s what he said when he always got arrested.
If you're claustrophobic, which I believe Floyd was, then one of the symptoms of being in a confined space, (back of a police vehicle?), is difficulty breathing. I suspect this would be exacerbated by being forced in face down in such scenario.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Your statement should read, " kneeling on his neck which contributed to his death.......".
I doubt very much that Chauvin deliberately murdered the man. At best it was manslaughter but the entire legal process had been hijacked by the media and various anti-police factions.
What really happened, what were the circumstances? We don't know, we weren't there.
In which case, why are you saying it was manslaughter at best? Oh, and the US has very different criteria for various types of killing than the UK.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
From what I see, there are slum areas of US that are out of control, places like Detroit, where you just wouldn't want to go. Police have a lot of responsibility on their shoulders to police them without corruption, it's not something I'd want to do.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Perhaps, but innocent until proven guilty. It was always going to be stacked against him with all the social media and airtime this has gotten.
Even police officers thought Chauvin was out of order, a couple on duty witnessed the incident gave evidence against him, pity they did not stop what was going on.

Wonder if trump had said the same your response would be the same
Why would my opinion be any different?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've always been a bit of a Raymond Chandler fan, so rightly or wrongly, I like this quote.

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 12.08.07.png

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
In which case, why are you saying it was manslaughter at best? Oh, and the US has very different criteria for various types of killing than the UK.
Yes, the point that I was trying to make is that here in the U.K. manslaughter would be the likely outcome. In the U.S. of course it is termed "involuntary manslaughter. I'm sure that Chauvin had no intention of killing the felon despite what the howling mob would suggest.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Yes, the point that I was trying to make is that here in the U.K. manslaughter would be the likely outcome. In the U.S. of course it is termed "involuntary manslaughter. I'm sure that Chauvin had no intention of killing the felon despite what the howling mob would suggest.

It's impossible to know that, only Chauvin himself would know. What we do know is that he deliberately nelt on Floyd's neck for just over nine minutes. Not moments to subdue him, (Floyd was handcuffed and there were two other officers holding him down), 9 minutes and 29 seconds, deliberately! We also know that Chauvin had known Floyd previously.

And Chauvin was found guilty, (on all three counts), by a jury following due process and having heard all the evidence from both the prosecution and the defence; not by a howling mob!

JayD

It's impossible to know that, only Chauvin himself would know. What we do know is that he deliberately nelt on Floyd's neck for just over nine minutes. Not moments to subdue him, (Floyd was handcuffed and there were two other officers holding him down), 9 minutes and 29 seconds, deliberately! We also know that Chauvin had known Floyd previously.

And Chauvin was found guilty, (on all three counts), by a jury following due process and having heard all the evidence from both the prosecution and the defence; not by a howling mob!
When I first saw the video of the incident, my first thoughts were that it was murder. I don't know enough about US law to differentiate between the degrees so couldn't comment on that. I also thought that the officer should be tried in a court of law for the alleged 'crime'. I still think that it was murder, but he was tried and found guilty, long before any official jury found him so. In any other case this amount of publicity, (even from the President), would have either called for a retrial at least, and possibly had the whole thing thrown out of court. While I agree with the verdict, based on what I saw in the videos, I certainly don't agree with how it was brought about.
What I saw before, and during the trial, reminded me of the old 'lynch mob' mentality, and as every incident since has brought out the same 'protests', I don't know how any police officer, good or bad, (yes, unlike some I believe both exist), can risk the same happening to him. The latest protests are in Colombia, where a police officer shot dead a (black), teenage girl who appeared to be going to stab another, the protests started within hours of the incident.

EDIT, sorry I should has said Columbus Ohio, not Colombia, (it's an age thing)

John.

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Was Race mentioned in the verdicts.
Or just a policeman guilty of murdering another man.

centerpin fan

What I saw before, and during the trial, reminded me of the old 'lynch mob' mentality, and as every incident since has brought out the same 'protests', I don't know how any police officer, good or bad, (yes, unlike some I believe both exist), can risk the same happening to him.

Good commentary:

centerpin fan

When I first saw the video of the incident, my first thoughts were that it was murder. I don't know enough about US law to differentiate between the degrees so couldn't comment on that. I also thought that the officer should be tried in a court of law for the alleged 'crime'. I still think that it was murder, but he was tried and found guilty, long before any official jury found him so. In any other case this amount of publicity, (even from the President), would have either called for a retrial at least, and possibly had the whole thing thrown out of court. While I agree with the verdict, based on what I saw in the videos, I certainly don't agree with how it was brought about.
What I saw before, and during the trial, reminded me of the old 'lynch mob' mentality, and as every incident since has brought out the same 'protests', I don't know how any police officer, good or bad, (yes, unlike some I believe both exist), can risk the same happening to him. The latest protests are in Colombia, where a police officer shot dead a (black), teenage girl who appeared to be going to stab another, the protests started within hours of the incident.

EDIT, sorry I should has said Columbus Ohio, not Colombia, (it's an age thing)

John.
Yep, get ready for round 2:

centerpin fan

I wonder if there will be any kind of reluctance by police in the USA to engage in an arrest of black man who does not come quietly. Just walk away, not worth the hassle?
I know a gun was not involved in this case but generally there must be a constant fear of being shot whilst on duty as there are so many guns over there.
It must breed a mindset of going in hard straight away as a form of self preservation even when its not always necessary.

Anyway not a job to be recommended over there or even here nowadays??
Others are asking the same question.