Geoff Cooper Bagging Up in Ireland 2

2lbRoach2hand

What a cracking video! I wouldn't mind knowing which lough he was on. Only problem with that area is there is just so much water!

2lbRoach2hand

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
@2lbRoach2hand things should start to look up soon.
I'd definitely contact Geoff as I'd say he is very approachable.
September\October would be the best time anyway.
Better light conditions and the Bream, Hybrids and Big Roach will be getting their heads down before Winter.
I had an unreal session on the Shannon at Banagher on 3rd week of September in 2018.
I only feeder fished one day and didn't use a keepnet but I didn't stop catching Roach solid for 4hrs!
Siz2 12 B560 with 4\5 Maggots!
Biggest ones were just over a pound but most were 10\12oz stamp.
If I had been able to get back the next day, I'd say I would have bagged up on Bream, Hybrids and Roach..............
Don't forget to look at Geoff's other videos :upthumb:
Tightlines
John

EdBray

Site Supporter
I used to go to Ireland every year and stayed with Geoff quite a few times when he had his B&B in Tarmonbarry and Tackleshop in Longford..

Very very good angler and always willing to share info & techniques.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Looking at Geoff's web page it hasnt been updated for five or six years, looking at the Killglass area it does look like a place worth exploring. So it would be a good idea l think to email him, about what possible self catering, or guest house accommodation is available locally, and if there is much bankside access and fishing available, or is it mostly from a boat.
Any of you guys know of decent self catering properties in this area. I would either be going with one or two fishing buddies, or the wife. And it will more than likely have to be next year with the current covid 19 doing the rounds.
Cheers lads.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Cheers mate, just asking as local knowledge or info from anglers who have stayed in the area can be a Godsend (y) :)
Very true @nutmeg It's means everything to make your short time the most productive.
If you are ever down Banagher on the Shannon direction I can set you right :upthumb:
Tightlines
John

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Very true @nutmeg It's means everything to make your short time the most productive.
If you are ever down Banagher on the Shannon direction I can set you right :upthumb:
Tightlines
John

Hi John, l have been through Banagher quite a few times but not for about 20 years ago, when l used to fish down at Portumna. I seem to remember playing Putting there near to the bridge when my daughters were both young.
There was also the famous Pea factory stretch, but that was shut down many years ago. Did fish at Meelick a few times which isnt too far from Banagher l think. Last few years we have been staying in Athlone, but the fishing hasnt been so good, had to resort to playing golf, and going horse racing lol. How far long to drive from Athlone to Banagher do you reckon?
Did you ever fish lough Patrick not far from Mullingar, it was my favourate place to fish for tench,,it only had one platform though but two people could fish from it easily. Was told though that the foriegn nationals had descimated the place.
Would have loved some local knowledge all those years ago John as just finding access points could be a nightmare.
Thanks mate
Phil.

EdBray

Site Supporter
Had a message from Geoff this morning, he is a member of Des Taylor Angling on Facebook. He is well.

I suspect that if you send him a message through Facebook he will put you right.

Mister M

Account Locked
Great stuff, I‘d wondered what he was up to. Geoff used to write the odd article for a great monthly paper called The Angling Star, I’d also hear him now and again on Fisherman’s Blues with Keith Arthur on Talksport.

2lbRoach2hand

Good to see all these posts - there really are some amazing places still left here in Ireland. A sad time was when we had too many people from various nationalities just slaughtering coarse fish but thankfully those days are becoming fewer now, especially in the north. If any of you ever want to come to the North, I'd be more than happy to show you a few of my spots - especially on the Erne. And if any of you remember a time when the Classic was the "Sealink" Classic festival - they used to include the Colebrooke River as a section - the McVitty's mile section has been fishing it's nuts off with big hybrids last two seasons throughout the summer months! Pegs are a little ropey but it's rarely fished by anyone now!

2lbRoach2hand

@2lbRoach2hand In Bob Nudd's Q & A Video he mentions Ely Forest for Roach on the Erne around May time but you may already know that one already;)
Yes, have fished Ely a few times. The Erne is a big hit or miss affair at that time of the year as the fish are all migrating towards their spawning grounds. Even during the Classic festival there will always be certain sections around the town (Enniskillen) which will produce the goods and others like Crom or Boa Island are absolutely pants as the resident fish have all moved. This is true of most of the open water sections at that time of the year. Even if you check the match results and say for e.g. Portora has just fished it's head off - you could go there 2 days later and it could be dead as the fish have moved on. I think the best fishing the Erne has to offer is August/September. All the fish are back in their resident areas again. What is great news is some of the large bream now showing in certain sections in the town - few big slabs have made an appearance in sections like Sligo Road (car park just opposite "Fishing tackle and bait" shop). It's been a fair while since the bream have made any appearances in the Erne - has been dominated by the hybrids in recent years. Lets hope we can all get wetting a line by that time late summer comes!

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Brilliant info @2lbRoach2hand
Great to hear the bream are making a come back.
I think that is the same situation on the Shannon.
Totally agree with you re migrating fish during spawning time.
September\October for me would be the best time.
Must give you a PM if I'm ever up your neck of the woods:upthumb:

2lbRoach2hand

@Tinca Mad just as I write this, we have been given the go ahead to go fishing by our minister Edwin Poots!!! Yay!!!

Just off the phone with a few mates - looks like a local commercial on Wednesday. Bait ordered from Willy'worms online (should be here Tuesday) and a trip to Enniskillen planned for Friday! Might fish the Broadmeadow section behind the Lakeland Forum in Enniskillen.

Excited!!!! lol