Generation gap

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
After a recent flight I was waiting to collect my luggage from the carousel and I noticed a familiar chap further down waiting with his trolley. That's John Cleese I remarked to my wife. He'd obviously been on the same flight as us.

Later, at home I recounted the tale to my wife's 25 yr old son. I was greeted with a blank look. "Who's that?" he asked. I replied "John Cleese ! - from Monty Python?, Fawlty Towers?"
Only more blank looks came back. I suddenly felt terribly old.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm not sure the first one is a generation thing. I'm 26 and have friends ranging from 24 to 28 and I'm fairly certain all of them, well certainly at least the males, would know who John Cleese is.

Steptoe and son is a bit more niche though, reckon I only know a couple people who'd get that one.

Dusty

I'm not sure the first one is a generation thing. I'm 26 and have friends ranging from 24 to 28 and I'm fairly certain all of them, well certainly at least the males, would know who John Cleese is.

Steptoe and son is a bit more niche though, reckon I only know a couple people who'd get that one.

Yeah I agree with this, I’m 27 and would know who John Cleese is.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I feel young and spritely again! - His lack of knowledge is probably just different cultural leanings I suppose.

Pickled onions in the bath for all ! (y)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That is pretty shocking not knowing John Cleese tbf, I even have a mate who has Manuel amongst his nicknames haha

John Step

Site Supporter
I had a similar feeling of age when I went into a large tackle shop and asked for Arlesey Bombs to be met with a blank look.
I said you know ledger weights invented by Dick Walker. Another blank look.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I had a similar feeling of age when I went into a large tackle shop and asked for Arlesey Bombs to be met with a blank look.
Same here went in the tackle shop and asked for some small Arlesly bombs and the youngish mush didn`t have a clue. Shop owner said
they no longer sell them but I have sourced them elsewhere. These weights are my first choice lead, doesn`t seem possible some tackle
shops no longer sell them.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
And since I was about 10 or 11, I've always believed they were called Arseley bombs. :cry:

John Step

Site Supporter
Yes a conundrum about the spelling. Arlesey is a place near Hitchen in Bedfordshire. I have always thought that as Richard Walker was from Hitchen then that was what he referred to when designing the bomb fishing for perch in the deep local lake. If memory serves correctly it was to cast distances and the swivel was to stop tangles as the lead descended.

Dinsmore market their arlesey bombs with that same spelling without the second "L".

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

They are now known as "distance casting weights" due to their aerodynamic design!

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Last year me and our Gert were in the same hotel as The Cheeky Girls, Monica and Gabriela ?very nice ??

johng19

me@home.com
There was a youg lad fish next to me a few weeks ago, he asked me how deep it was I said around 4 1/2 foot. About 5 or 10 mins past and he says how deep is 4 1/2 foot.

johng19

me@home.com
Funny thing was it took me a minute, to figer what to then say,
I then shouted back 135cm, he shouted thanks.:rolleyes: