Geese - Is this legal?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
If you fancy it ..... I’ll pay your fine. Your story has wound me up. He would have definitely gone for a swim if I’d have been there. But, you did better than I could have done pal. I once twa##ed a pike angler for killing a pike. I couldn’t stop him killing the pike as it was a legal size. It was the way him and his mate were killing it ..... kicking it up and down the bank. I shouted across the pond to kill it humanely if he wanted to kill it to which he shouted back ...... F### off. Well, that was it. Rod went down and off Michael trotted around the pond. No conversation just bang. His mate ran off. Not proud of my actions but, I’d do it again. I can’t help having a short fuse. I come from a rough area but, I know right from wrong and this is not how you treat other animals. 😡😡
Then I wish you were there than mate. If it was somebody my own age, I have absolutely no doubt it'd have been handled differently, But The idea of hitting an old man just doesn't bide well with me incase I cause some serious damage as the bloke is a bit frail. That doesn't tame his attitude at all though 🤷‍♀️I have absolutely no doubt he'll get a smack soon enough, I've seen him get into a couple of close calls with people on the footpath, It only takes one and when it comes, hopefully it'll be a lesson well learnt.

In regards to the pike situation, I'm with you on that one and it's well deserved. Again, I'm not an animal lover but being cruel just to be cruel is a big no no for me. I understand theres 'nessaccery evils' in life, But booting the sh*t out of a pike to kill it is not one, even if you're looking to eat it. Neither is plucking a bunch of wild eggs out of the nest because you're bothered about a bit of goose sh*t getting on your gear. Some people mate?? :rolleyes:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I will make this my last past as I am obviously wasting my time.

Pricking eggs is a humane way of keeping down what is {wether you like it or not} a large bird that can become a nuisance and
overwhelm a location with sheer numbers.

I am not a cruel person by any stretch of the imagination, I do not understand the hysterical reaction from some.

Midwater Brand Manager

Site Supporter

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Then I wish you were there than mate. If it was somebody my own age, I have absolutely no doubt it'd have been handled differently, But The idea of hitting an old man just doesn't bide well with me incase I cause some serious damage as the bloke is a bit frail. That doesn't tame his attitude at all though 🤷‍♀️I have absolutely no doubt he'll get a smack soon enough, I've seen him get into a couple of close calls with people on the footpath, It only takes one and when it comes, hopefully it'll be a lesson well learnt.

In regards to the pike situation, I'm with you on that one and it's well deserved. Again, I'm not an animal lover but being cruel just to be cruel is a big no no for me. I understand theres 'nessaccery evils' in life, But booting the sh*t out of a pike to kill it is not one, even if you're looking to eat it. Neither is plucking a bunch of wild eggs out of the nest because you're bothered about a bit of goose sh*t getting on your gear. Some people mate?? :rolleyes:
Could not agree more pal. 👍. With regards the killing of the pike .... Well, I’m sorry but, I couldn’t stop myself. I was beyond fuming. It was far from being the right thing to do but, If I saw such behaviour again I think I’d do the same. 🤷‍♂️

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I will make this my last past as I am obviously wasting my time.

Pricking eggs is a humane way of keeping down what is {wether you like it or not} a large bird that can become a nuisance and
overwhelm a location with sheer numbers.

I am not a cruel person by any stretch of the imagination, I do not understand the hysterical reaction from some.
There wouldn’t of been any hysteria, he would’ve just gone in -end of 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Perfectly acceptable behaviour in the circumstances mate 👊
I’d put a hefty wager on you doing the same Gazza mate if you saw someone kicking an F1 up and down the bank at TBF. You just would not be able to help yourself. We simply love our fish and fishing don’t we pal ? 🤷‍♂️

Total

Site Supporter
I’d put a hefty wager on you doing the same Gazza mate if you saw someone kicking an F1 up and down the bank at TBF. You just would not be able to help yourself. We simply love our fish and fishing don’t we pal ? 🤷‍♂️
^^ Oiii! Henry Cooper!:love::ROFLMAO:......How did you get on fishing on Thursday/Friday?:unsure:;)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
No smacking today mate, Last time I got to that level it resulted in a night in the can and a £90 fine... 🤷‍♀️
But no, He's an older man so it really wouldn't have been wise to hit him. That's not to say he didn't deserve it, hence why I just dipped as I started losing it.

He's a not a nice chap, with a terrible attitude towards everything.
Haha- sorry mate. I misread your post...thought it said you punched him

Simon R

Site Supporter
Canada Geese are now on the vermin list, so can, with permission, be culled year round.
The problem with Canada's is (as always seem to happen with imported species) that they have more young than Greylags, they out muscle them and even prevent them from nesting.

Too many geese can also play hell with the water chemistry of your fishery - not so much on commercial waters where the chemistry ain't the best to start with - but on small natural ponds the droppings they deposit in the water can cause all sorts of algal blooms or unexpected weed growth and can even alter the pH of the water.

On our old club water we had so many that only did we prick the eggs (don't remove or smash them they just lay more) but also asked a couple of local wildfowl shooters to control the numbers. They shot over fifty in a three week period, although looking at the pond it barely seemed to scratch the surface. Biggest problem with Canada Geese is anything over a year or so old is practically inedible - we offered a load to a local butcher who took a few but the rest we just buried.

Never really had a problem with Greylags - they never seem to multiply to such a great extent, although the presence of Canada Geese too will tend to limit their numbers. It is almost certainly illegal to tamper with any birds eggs, although preventing them from hatching is probably the most humane method of population control.

Simon

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Our bailiff shoots the Canada geese if they land on our waters. A lot of members, myself included, aren't happy about it.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
My understanding is that you can only oil the eggs if and only if, the club have a valid license to control the geese population. Same applies to shooting them.

Midwater Brand Manager

Site Supporter
My understanding is that you can only oil the eggs if and only if, the club have a valid license to control the geese population. Same applies to shooting them.
You have to have a license issued by defra under section 16 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. It also has to be done during a specified "open season".

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Just been back over there, I didn't speak to the fella who did it but I made it abundantly clear that it's illegal to use such practises without a license. A license which they do not own. I also made it clear that I'm far from a snitch, But if it happens again I'll be reporting him to the proper authorities, Not only that I'll be reporting him to the council, Who owns the pond and rents it out to the 'committee' for use. He would've heard all this, I also have photographic evidence of him finishing up his practise.

The Goose is currently on the nest, And is pretty hostile but I'll pop back over tonight and remove the clutch of eggs, Hopefully she lays double and amount she currently has and hopefully, he gets covered in double the amount of sh*t he would have if he wouldn't have been a d*ckhead the first time round.

not a nice chap

Cheers guys