Geese - Is this legal?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Just been over my local club pond for a chat with a few of the fellas over there and I'd noticed that the geese had started nesting on one of the pegs. The same geese return year in, year out and raise their young on the pond safely as it's fenced in. Now, a few of the 'committee' members find this annoying as they obviously rubbish around the place, And the kids like to feed them over the fence with bread which again, Although it doesn't hurt anybody, They find it annoying. Regardless, I'm not sure how any of this effects any of the 'committee' as only one of the 15 'committee members' actually fish the place. The other 15 don't, and haven't fished the place in about 15 years! Other members, such as myself who actually fish the place understand that we're invading their home and respect wildlife, Especially wildlife that aren't actively damaging anything. After all, It's only for a month or two and the rubbish dries up within an hour regardless.

Now, This club pond is quite literally dead. It has barely any members and even during the summer, You'll see the same 2 or 3 people over there, With the odd random person turning up on occasion, So it's not like hundreds of members are having to deal with geese sh*t for a few weeks.

So, as I pointed out to a buddy of mine that the geese were nesting in the peg, A committee member came over a few minutes later and kneeled over the eggs. I didn't initially think much of it and thought he was just having a look while I continued to speak to my buddy in the peg. It was only as the committee member was finishing up, I was told that he was pricking the eggs while my buddy was chuckling about the mother goose 'Watching him' I straight up said I don't find it funny and I asked why and he said 'Because I don't want them on here!', This is when I started to lose my cool and decided to just leave before I punched him straight in the mouth, As this isn't the first time I've witnessed this type of attitude from him.

I'm not an animal lover, Far from it but this just doesn't sit right with me at all. I'm all for killing pests, and keeping certain animal populations under control, But they're geese that're native to the UK. They don't actively destroy the place, or anywhere else. They're not killing fish stocks either and the kids absolutely adore them year in year out and I'll be honest, I really enjoy sitting on the pond with them even though they can be little sh*ts sometimes.

I'm usually cool tempered, But this has really set me off. Maybe I'm just over-exaggerating on this occasion or I need to be educated on why they're such a problem?

Is this even legal to do?

Edit ; Greylag Geese.

Last edited:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I know places that have been over run with geese, remember they s*** like a dog.

Pricking the eggs is an acceptable method to keep the numbers down.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Just been over my local club pond for a chat with a few of the fellas over there and I'd noticed that the geese had started nesting on one of the pegs. The same geese return year in, year out and raise their young on the pond safely as it's fenced in. Now, a few of the 'committee' members find this annoying as they obviously rubbish around the place, And the kids like to feed them over the fence with bread which again, Although it doesn't hurt anybody, They find it annoying. Regardless, I'm not sure how any of this effects any of the 'committee' as only one of the 15 'committee members' actually fish the place. The other 15 don't, and haven't fished the place in about 15 years! Other members, such as myself who actually fish the place understand that we're invading their home and respect wildlife, Especially wildlife that aren't actively damaging anything. After all, It's only for a month or two and the rubbish dries up within an hour regardless.

Now, This club pond is quite literally dead. It has barely any members and even during the summer, You'll see the same 2 or 3 people over there, With the odd random person turning up on occasion, So it's not like hundreds of members are having to deal with geese sh*t for a few weeks.

So, as I pointed out to a buddy of mine that the geese were nesting in the peg, A committee member came over a few minutes later and kneeled over the eggs. I didn't initially think much of it and thought he was just having a look while I continued to speak to my buddy in the peg. It was only as the committee member was finishing up, I was told that he was pricking the eggs while my buddy was chuckling about the mother goose 'Watching him' I straight up said I don't find it funny and I asked why and he said 'Because I don't want them on here!', This is when I started to lose my cool and decided to just leave before I punched him straight in the mouth, As this isn't the first time I've witnessed this type of attitude from him.

I'm not an animal lover, Far from it but this just doesn't sit right with me at all. I'm all for killing pests, and keeping certain animal populations under control, But they're geese that're native to the UK. They don't actively destroy the place, or anywhere else. They're not killing fish stocks either and the kids absolutely adore them year in year out and I'll be honest, I really enjoy sitting on the pond with them even though they can be little sh*ts sometimes.

I'm usually cool tempered, But this has really set me off. Maybe I'm just over-exaggerating on this occasion or I need to be educated on why they're such a problem?

Is this even legal to do?
I don’t know whether it’s legal or not, but it’s a nasty horrible thing to do , personally I would of gone up behind him and pushed him in

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I know places that have been over run with geese, remember they s*** like a dog.

Pricking the eggs is an acceptable method to keep the numbers down.
I understand this entirely. I've fish commercials where it can be pretty rough at times, But the owners still won't have anybody touching the geese, or the eggs. In doing so would be an instant ban / never return. 🤷‍♀️ As said above, I'd completely understand it if all 12 pegs were fished day in, day out but most days, Nobody even fishes the place. At best, on occasion there will be 2 or 3 people about.. And that's on the hottest days of the year. The sh*t is simply cleaned up / broken down by the rain once we get a downpour, As the paths are concrete. On this particular occasion, I just felt there was absolutely NO need to do what he did.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
The legal situation may depend on the species of the geese in question. Canada geese are not native and are generally considered a pest species. When such things existed Canada geese were one of the species on the "general licence".

GeoffW

Site Supporter
You don't mention the species of the geese, but presumably Canada geese, which are non native.
However, it is illegal to destroy the nests of any wild bird without a license.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I don’t know whether it’s legal or not, but it’s a nasty horrible thing to do , personally I would of gone up behind him and pushed him in
I would've done something about it hadn't it initially went over my head, Gaz. I'm not sure why I didn't clock sooner than something was amiss but it was stupidity on my part. I left the place losing my s**t about the situation and he kept quiet.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Unless he has a licence to remove or interfere with the nest then what he's done is illegal as far as I know, stand to be corrected though.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
My local club has around a hundred proper made up pegs, up until a couple of years ago sometimes half of these would be
unusable because of piles of s***. It had got to the stage the place was overwhelmed with Canada geese.

I stopped fishing a place in Norfolk because {its actually called goose green} not only had this large green but the surrounding
area had become a health hazard.

Whilst our native geese numbers remain fairly steady the Canada variety population has exploded. I can only assume people
who get upset about the pricking of goose eggs have never had first hand experience of the problems they cause.

rob6709

Site Supporter
My local club has around a hundred proper made up pegs, up until a couple of years ago sometimes half of these would be
unusable because of piles of s***. It had got to the stage the place was overwhelmed with Canada geese.

I stopped fishing a place in Norfolk because {its actually called goose green} not only had this large green but the surrounding
area had become a health hazard.

Whilst our native geese numbers remain fairly steady the Canada variety population has exploded. I can only assume people
who get upset about the pricking of goose eggs have never had first hand experience of the problems they cause.
1st world problems eh?

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
It's a horrible cruel thing to do. Glad you smacked him.
No smacking today mate, Last time I got to that level it resulted in a night in the can and a £90 fine... 🤷‍♀️
But no, He's an older man so it really wouldn't have been wise to hit him. That's not to say he didn't deserve it, hence why I just dipped as I started losing it.

He's a not a nice chap, with a terrible attitude towards everything.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
We scoff chicken and duck eggs, why all the overreaction?
From Hens & Ducks that are designed to lay 300+ eggs a year and very rarely go broody.

These are wild animals, That lay a handful of eggs a year to brood. Part of an ecosystem that shouldn't be interfered with unless they're causing massive problems.. which they're not.

I'm not a fan of dogs... but I don't go round killing puppies because 'I dont want them on the streets'

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
No smacking today mate, Last time I got to that level it resulted in a night in the can and a £90 fine... 🤷‍♀️
But no, He's an older man so it really wouldn't have been wise to hit him. That's not to say he didn't deserve it, hence why I just dipped as I started losing it.

He's a not a nice chap, with a terrible attitude towards everything.
If you fancy it ..... I’ll pay your fine. Your story has wound me up. He would have definitely gone for a swim if I’d have been there. But, you did better than I could have done pal. I once twa##ed a pike angler for killing a pike. I couldn’t stop him killing the pike as it was a legal size. It was the way him and his mate were killing it ..... kicking it up and down the bank. I shouted across the pond to kill it humanely if he wanted to kill it to which he shouted back ...... F### off. Well, that was it. Rod went down and off Michael trotted around the pond. No conversation just bang. His mate ran off. Not proud of my actions but, I’d do it again. I can’t help having a short fuse. I come from a rough area but, I know right from wrong and this is not how you treat other animals. 😡😡

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Would anyone on here condone the pricking of cormorant eggs?
Cormorants cause detrimental damage to inland waters by destroying fish populations, Not only on Rivers but commercially stocked waters causing owners hundreds, If not thousands of pounds. And their numbers are getting ridiculous.
I could be very wrong here, But aren't they also supposed to be a primarily coastal bird?

What do Geese do? Take a s**t on a peg and flap their wings in the water every once in a while.

I don't know, I just feel theres a bit of a difference between the two.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I saw a 'goose' on the Severn the size of a Swan. Like a Swan but brown patterned. Still haven't identified it other than Swan Goose but it was pretty majestic.