gear these days

jpr.esq

good morning,

so after leaving the match circuit around 1997 its been totally carp fishing since then, now having achieved everything i dremt of in regards to carp angling im getting the urge to fish the rivers again.

last week i had a little walk around the floacl fishing shop and the range of gear these days, and to my suprise i was pretty unimpressed!! is it me or was the gear from the 90's just better? or is it with rose tintred glasses? i know theres much more commercial fishing orientated gear, and this didnt really exist much then, just in its infancy really.

poles for instance, my last pole was a maver 601 or 681 cant remember exactly super litium jobbie, bloody expensive but the new match poles dont feel any better these days, although im sure they are much stronger.

wheres the spliced tip match rods? does no one fish stick floats on rivers any more?

so i think ill go down trying to find the gear i used to own if thats possible
!!

asi seat box with footplate to start.. wish me luck!

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Hi @jpr.esq and Welcome. :D

Some of the gear you mention is still around, it just takes some finding. A post in the Classified - Wanted section may be of use to you. Good luck on your quest. :upthumb:

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Plenty of the old gear you remember, or still have, is perfectly good, even when compared to modern gear. However, you won't find the few spliced tip rods that are available in the vast majority of tackle shops. Some folks will even argue that there is no longer any need for spliced tip rods. They'll claim that the same actions can be achieved with a rolled hollow tip.

I'm in the fortunate position of having an awful lot of float rods to choose from. The ones I use regularly date back to the early nineties right up to current. I also still like a spliced tip, though can understand why some might not see the need for them, even if I don't agree. However, my current favourite trotting rods are Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best I've ever had, seen or used, regardless of the era. There is absolutely no rod out there that I'd willingly swap them for. However, there are still a few older spliced tip rods that I'd like to get my sticky mitts on. Most are from the 90s.

jpr.esq

thanks guys, yep ill definatley be posting in the wanted section as soon as ive sold of some carp gear!!

- sam i did have a look a look at the new rods and yeah they would work fine for the stick, they were still quite powerfull- mind you on the trent days id of loved a more powerful rod to get those big old roach in quicker!! i think i just like the stuff i used to have! it served me so well

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
sam i did have a look a look at the new rods and yeah they would work fine for the stick, they were still quite powerfull- mind you on the trent days id of loved a more powerful rod to get those big old roach in quicker!! i think i just like the stuff i used to have! it served me so well

There's been a bit of power creep over the years. Blame the rise of commie fishing for that. However, there are still match rods out there that wouldn't be remotely unfamiliar to a time traveling angler from the 90s. The snag is actually finding a tackle shop that stocks them. Many shops stock absolutely nothing beyond the kind of stuff that might be useful on an average commie. Not that you can blame them for stocking what sells. You could see the entire stock of 90% of the tackle shops out there and get the distinct impression that no other forms of coarse fishing (except carping and barbelling) even existed. Stuff you'd be more familiar with (and might actually be better) does exist, but you have to be lucky to find it in the shops local to you or go out of your way just to see it. If you have any real desire to see as much as possible in the flesh, you are likely to need to put some miles in. If not, you can take some expensive punts by buying blind.

I suspect that it may not have been clear in my previous post, but my current favourite Browning Sphere rods are current rods and they are spliced tip rods. The chances of popping in to a random tackle shop and finding them on the shelves are very slim, but they do exist. I also consider them to be better, and lighter, than any any other spliced tip rod I've encountered.

Last edited:

jpr.esq

There's been a bit of power creep over the years. Blame the rise of commie fishing for that. However, there are still match rods out there that wouldn't be remotely unfamiliar to a time traveling angler from the 90s. The snag is actually finding a tackle shop that stocks them. Many shops stock absolutely nothing beyond the kind of stuff that might be useful on an average commie. Not that you can blame them for stocking what sells. You could see the entire stock of 90% of the tackle shops out there and get the distinct impression that no other forms of coarse fishing (except carping and barbelling) even existed. Stuff you'd be more familiar with (and might actually be better) does exist, but you have to be lucky to find it in the shops local to you or go out of your way just to see it. If you have any real desire to see as much as possible in the flesh, you are likely to need to put some miles in. If not, you can take some expensive punts by buying blind.

I suspect that it may not have been clear in my previous post, but my current favourite Browning Sphere rods are current rods and they are spliced tip rods. The chances of popping in to a random tackle shop and finding them on the shelves are very slim, but they do exist. I also consider them to be better, and lighter, than any any other spliced tip rod I've encountered.

well thats reasuring thank you. i think i will do some searching online and see what shops have a decent range, as like you say most shops stock carp stuff as thats what most people want, - like me for the last 25 years!!

there used to be great shop in birmingham we used to go once a year after the nec fishing show. always used to purchase a few new bits in there, cant remeber what it was called though.

funnilly enough im sponsered/ uk ambassador for browning - however thats the shooting side nothing to do with the fishing franchise sadly!!

adriang

Site Supporter
I'm in a similar situation, returned to regular coarse fishing after being out of the UK for many years.

I was watching a recent video from Dave Harrell on YouTube, and he said something on the lines of 'modern float rods have a rolled tip which is fine enough for stick float fishing'.. I have to say that I recently had a good look at the top of the range Drennan float rod (acolyte) as I'm lusting after a longer rod, and I think it's the best rod I've ever picked up (not bought one, but I will). But in the same breath, I'm happy with my 13 foot Microlites for the stick. (I'm glad I didn't offload any of my gear).

jpr.esq

I'm in a similar situation, returned to regular coarse fishing after being out of the UK for many years.

I was watching a recent video from Dave Harrell on YouTube, and he said something on the lines of 'modern float rods have a rolled tip which is fine enough for stick float fishing'.. I have to say that I recently had a good look at the top of the range Drennan float rod (acolyte) as I'm lusting after a longer rod, and I think it's the best rod I've ever picked up (not bought one, but I will). But in the same breath, I'm happy with my 13 foot Microlites for the stick. (I'm glad I didn't offload any of my gear).

oh I loved my normark microlite 2000 a dream rod and took me a few match wins to get enough cash together!!
How are you getting on? I fear I’ve forgotten so so much !!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In terms of fairly traditional float rods the acolyte ultras are considered by many as the best you can get sub £200, I really love mine it has improved my float fishing big time. Above that price wise next is the browning sphere Sam mentions which I’ve not fished with but it does feel very nice when waggled. Beyond that you have the top range daiwas which I don’t recall seeing in the flesh myself but they are silly money for me. For similar money to the acolytes there are the Preston super equis and maver signature pro which from a waggle do feel like fairly traditional float rods but the line ratings do suggest they are more powerful in use.

ETEC

Tricast stil do spliced tip rods and still do river feeder rods. Not cheap but very nice

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Plenty of the old gear you remember, or still have, is perfectly good, even when compared to modern gear. However, you won't find the few spliced tip rods that are available in the vast majority of tackle shops. Some folks will even argue that there is no longer any need for spliced tip rods. They'll claim that the same actions can be achieved with a rolled hollow tip.

I'm in the fortunate position of having an awful lot of float rods to choose from. The ones I use regularly date back to the early nineties right up to current. I also still like a spliced tip, though can understand why some might not see the need for them, even if I don't agree. However, my current favourite trotting rods are Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River. As far as I'm concerned, they are the best I've ever had, seen or used, regardless of the era. There is absolutely no rod out there that I'd willingly swap them for. However, there are still a few older spliced tip rods that I'd like to get my sticky mitts on. Most are from the 90s.
Which rods would you like?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Spliced tip river float rod ? Offer me what you want for my Shakespeare president float rods cos you ain't getting em. ? Agree jpr, tackle was better made in the eighties and nineties I reckon. My Shimano Utegra pole and Daiwa Amorphous feeder rods are still going strong ?.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Which rods would you like?

If I can find a minter at a decent price, I'd quite like to get my sticky mitts on a spliced tip Connoisseur X. A spliced tip Connoisseur G (There might even be a spliced tip Spectron I'd give a go) would also be welcome in the horde. However, as I've handled both, I don't expect either to be better than the Browning Sphere. Because of that, not having loads of free cash, and having plenty of rods to go at already, there's no rush. I won't lose sleep if I never get them. I certainly don't need them.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
If I can find a minter at a decent price, I'd quite like to get my sticky mitts on a spliced tip Connoisseur X. A spliced tip Connoisseur G (There might even be a spliced tip Spectron I'd give a go) would also be welcome in the horde. However, as I've handled both, I don't expect either to be better than the Browning Sphere. Because of that, not having loads of free cash, and having plenty of rods to go at already, there's no rush. I won't lose sleep if I never get them. I certainly don't need them.
I’ve got the tommy Pickering connoisseur spliced tip,, and the amorphous whisker spliced tip rods, both from the 90’s,, boho cracking stick float rods

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The main problem is that stick float fishing is really only a very small niche market in general angling which is dominated by carp and commercials so shops have to stock the items that customers will come in to buy.
I dont even put traditional float rods out on display as the space they would occupy for several years between sales can be more profitably filled with 10 foot pellet wagglers that sell every month.
Part of the reason is also that the quality float rods that still exist are mostly £150 plus or double that and are not greatly improved on the rods you should have kept from the 90s

nejohn

Site Supporter
Good choice there Sam as you know I do like the Daiwa Conny spliced tip rods, I also have a pair of spectron M2 spliced tips which are also very good, one worth searching out but is pretty rare is a Maver gold devil, it was made when maver were just starting out and not very well known but a nice rod all the same, there is also another one of my favourites a Shimano triple X spliced tip along with some tri-casts....btw took yours and Robrush's advice and invested in a 15ft sphere ... unfortunately not had the chance to try it in anger yet

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tackle shop stock is also of course dictated by the area said shops are in as its obviously sensible to stock what suits your surroundering fisheries. For example where are am in Oxfordshire apart from a couple mixed fisheries and a couple brown puddles 90% of the fishing is either on the Thames, its tributaries, the canal and the gravel pits. In light of that most shops around here stock most the drennan range (probably as much to do with them being local as it is for most of it being aimed at more natural venues) and loads of carp and predator tackle but not much in the way of the more commercial fishery stuff and you'll certainly rarely see a barbel rod!

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Tackle has evolved significantly since the 90's. Hook a carp on many of the old type match or feeder rods and the blank generally locked up. Spliced tips simply aren't required as many manufacturers followed the hollow tip standard set by Normark and through actioned rods, re-branded as parabolic actions became the norm.

The newer generation of float and feeder rods are not only capable of handling light hook lengths but have sufficient power further down to land very big fish on balanced tackle. Hooks have also improved no end. There was a time when the Kamasan B520 set the standard but today you'd be lucky to find a pack in anybody's box.

Main lines and hook lengths have improved in the main however lines like Maxima and Silstar Classic still have their die hard fans.

Nets have changed significantly, far better and longer lasting in addition to kinder to fish.

Pole elastics have also changed and although standard solid latex still has it's place, for commercial fisheries hollows and puller bungs are a must have.

The old 12ft heavy feeder rods have been replaced by 14ft dedicated river rods which enable you to keep more line out of the water meaning you need less lead to hold. Distance fishing for bream and carp has also become quite a speciality with dedicated rods and mini pit reels combined with braid making 100yds casts possible with the right technique..

Bait wise pellets work on naturals and commercials and are a bait you wouldn't want to be without for barbel and bream on natural venues.

As for poles they aren't stronger, however they are significantly stiffer, lighter and better balanced. The advances in technology in carbon lay ups and tapers also mean you can land big fish with relative ease with the right technique and balanced tackle.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I’ve got the tommy Pickering connoisseur spliced tip,, and the amorphous whisker spliced tip rods, both from the 90’s,, boho cracking stick float rods

I have both Tom Pickering Matchwinners (Original and S) in multiple types, including spliced tip. The Matchwinner S spliced tip got a trip out in the last couple of weeks.

Good choice there Sam as you know I do like the Daiwa Conny spliced tip rods, I also have a pair of spectron M2 spliced tips which are also very good, one worth searching out but is pretty rare is a Maver gold devil, it was made when maver were just starting out and not very well known but a nice rod all the same, there is also another one of my favourites a Shimano triple X spliced tip along with some tri-casts....btw took yours and Robrush's advice and invested in a 15ft sphere ... unfortunately not had the chance to try it in anger yet

Forgot about the Harrier Tournament as another option. Whatever turns up, I won't be buying any rod with sliding band reel fittings. I can just about cope with using them, but won't be buying more. The exception might come in the form of a cheap beater. I want something to butcher into a 10' beck rod.