G'Day

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Been browsing the forum for some time, looks good with lots of helpful info/people, so decided to join in.

I'm Peter, been fishing since I was seven - 66 years ago, (if counting on my fingers is correct - not easy at my age, where's my slide rule?)! Doesn't seem that long.... Started with a converted Tank Arial, (wish I still had it), and an aluminium maggot tin, (wish I still had that too), progressed through the ranks of split cane, green heart, (for fly fishing), glass fibre, boron, (again for fly fishing), and carbon fibre. A lot of my gear is vintage but still works. Have some more modern stuff, but not really sure it's any better - but maybe that's down to my inabilities :unsure:. Catch lots of fish, can't remember the last time I blanked, but then, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning - if indeed I had breakfast, who knows? Favourite fish? Pike, (Must tell you about the one I had fun photographing sometime - fun being the inoperative word! Painful would be more appropriate!). Oh, and Perch, and Gudgeon, and.... well, anything that swims and is stupid enough to grab my bait actually.

My methods are often somewhat unorthadox - fly fishing for Rudd, Roach and Perch anybody? Float Tubing for Trout, must try that on the canal for Pike - it must be easier to cast a lure along the margins from within the water rather than from the bank? Not sure the boaters and bargees would be happy about that though....

Looking forward to joining in, though I expect to read and learn more than contribute, and my contributions will probably be somewhat garbled such as this brief introduction.

Best Regards

Peter

SeanB

Site Supporter
Glad to hear you've decided to join in, looking forward to reading all about your escapades?

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
always good to see another South Yorkshireman on board :upthumb:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Welcome aboard Peter, always room for another. :upthumb:

feldri

Site Supporter
Welcome mate, always good to see a new member, especially when they become a site supporter. Kudos.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Been browsing the forum for some time, looks good with lots of helpful info/people, so decided to join in.

I'm Peter, been fishing since I was seven - 66 years ago, (if counting on my fingers is correct - not easy at my age, where's my slide rule?)! Doesn't seem that long.... Started with a converted Tank Arial, (wish I still had it), and an aluminium maggot tin, (wish I still had that too), progressed through the ranks of split cane, green heart, (for fly fishing), glass fibre, boron, (again for fly fishing), and carbon fibre. A lot of my gear is vintage but still works. Have some more modern stuff, but not really sure it's any better - but maybe that's down to my inabilities :unsure:. Catch lots of fish, can't remember the last time I blanked, but then, I can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning - if indeed I had breakfast, who knows? Favourite fish? Pike, (Must tell you about the one I had fun photographing sometime - fun being the inoperative word! Painful would be more appropriate!). Oh, and Perch, and Gudgeon, and.... well, anything that swims and is stupid enough to grab my bait actually.

My methods are often somewhat unorthadox - fly fishing for Rudd, Roach and Perch anybody? Float Tubing for Trout, must try that on the canal for Pike - it must be easier to cast a lure along the margins from within the water rather than from the bank? Not sure the boaters and bargees would be happy about that though....

Looking forward to joining in, though I expect to read and learn more than contribute, and my contributions will probably be somewhat garbled such as this brief introduction.

Best Regards

Peter
Welcome Peter

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Hey up Peter welcome to the Rollercoaster, if ya see someone round your way going round in Circles and looking lost, just shout Hey uP @sly lad :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Welcome.

Don't look to me for advice. Never fished for pike though I have landed a few. Really poor fly angler, still trying for my first fish since getting back into it.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
You'll be fine here. We're all experts on everything from training dogs to ingrowing toe nails, from painting barge-boards to the price of cheese in Norway. We fish a bit too.
Welcome aboard.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
One of the very few pluses of getting older, you wake up one day and find you are the proud owner of some fine vintage tackle!
Or in my case, you have a rekindled interest in traditional old gear, and regret having given most of it away.
Welcome to the forum.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Hello good afternoon and welcome.

Fly fishing for coarse fish? Rudd like a bloodworm imitation on the deck, also fish a boatyard in the summer and sometimes see
a shower of fry by the boats caused by perch. Looking forward to having a try for them, polystickle?

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Hello good afternoon and welcome.

Fly fishing for coarse fish? Rudd like a bloodworm imitation on the deck, also fish a boatyard in the summer and sometimes see
a shower of fry by the boats caused by perch. Looking forward to having a try for them, polystickle?

Bloodworm imitation. I tie my own which is basically a bunch of red marabou wrapped tightly around the hook shank, (various sized eyed hooks to give me different sized lures), tied in with red thread; marabou cut square about half an inch after the bend. Form a head with the thread and varnish. I then pick at the body with a needle to raise a few bits of feather. Have accounted for lots of Perch with these using a floating line with a sinking leader - sink and draw method. These work really well drop-shotting too.

For Rudd and Roach I use tiny dry flies tied on small, (size 24, 22 and occasionally 20), hooks. Lots of fun trying to hit the bites - but I do miss most of them! Shy biters, particularly the Rudd.

I use a glass fibre #3 wt rod with matching line. Great fun.