Garlic for tench...

Fartacus

Site Supporter
For a change i will be fishing a clay pit with a pole for the tench and just wondered will garlic work for them???
I've never used the stuff fishing with TBH and fancy trying sweetcorn and garlic will this work???

SeanB

Site Supporter
I watched a video this afternoon on YouTube where the angler was spraying his bait with garlic fry light. He was doing OK so I'd say give it a go.

SeanB

Site Supporter
My mistake, he was fishing for river chub not stillwater tench. Probably still worth trying.

solwood

Site Supporter
In my experience no, in fact carpers used to use garlic to reduce tench takes

PJG

Garlic definitely works for carp - if you get the flavour level right - less is more. The best flavour for tench is peppermint - your boilies will smell like After Eight Mints!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Never read about garlic being a tench attractor, only as a carp additive in moderation.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm reasonably content that garlic is a good bait additive for chub and barbel. I'm not at all convinced that it does much for the tench I've fished for. Worth trying on your water, but don't hold your breath.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
If you want to boost the attraction of corn for Tench try and get hold of some "oil of verbena" or lemongrass oil.
Bit of a secret additive but works very well with Tench above any other.

Ivan31

Better option is to use Corn attractor like a CCmoore Corn Step Liquor
Garlic is mostly used for carp and crucian carp as well