Gardening

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I thought it might be a goldenrod of some sort. (but only by searching the 'net for similar pics).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
First two of dads tomatoes gone out today, strings for them to climb up, sign of summer on its way. (y)

2021-05-27 12.39.16.jpg 2021-05-27 12.39.23.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Got some honeysuckle in the garden that's coated in blackfly, been out this morning spraying it with a hose to clear them off.

stikflote

Site Supporter
The frost has caught my Apple tree all the flowers turned brown , now no sign of small apples

also caught my neighbors tree as well

62tucker

Site Supporter
The frost has caught my Apple tree all the flowers turned brown , now no sign of small apples

also caught my neighbors tree as well
Strange as my tree is covered in small apples but frost wipe out my buddlia plants. Seen some big cherry trees covered in cherry’s when out and we had late frosts up here.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
How do you lot keep slugs and snails away ? Runner beans are getting a pasting, can't use slug pellets because of the dog, tried crushed egg shells-no effect. I bought a copper tray to put a pot plant on, and it does the trick, so I was wondering if putting a 6" - 8" length of 22mm copper tube in the ground and planting the bean in them would work , anyone tried it ?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Frost killed most of my wysteria blossoms and the cherry tree, won't be many cherries this year on top of all the black aphids on it, last year had a bumper crop aswell.
The apple trees I will have to wait and see, potatoes are coming on though in amongst the butterfly garden.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Frost killed most of my wysteria blossoms and the cherry tree, won't be many cherries this year on top of all the black aphids on it, last year had a bumper crop aswell.
The apple trees I will have to wait and see, potatoes are coming on though in amongst the butterfly garden.
Don't forget to remove all flowering stems from your tatties. 👍

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Just a heads up, if you're planning on planting a butterfly garden don't buy the cottage garden and various other seed packets branded or unbranded from Asda.
I've planted these 3 years in a row and all you get is 4ft high borage and some other scraggy plants that make my interspersed potatoes go leggy, butterfly garden my backside.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had potatoes from the garden for lunch today, my parents dug them up today and didn't get many, they reckon they need more ground space to grow them in.

H T B

Site Supporter
A while back I posted about Mares Tail.
A weed sent from the Devil himself .
Someone on MD, said they were going to try a different weed killer.

if it was you, how did you get on?
The b*****d thing has come back with a vengeance this year 😡

Frosts didn’t bloody kill it,

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
How do you know when to pick them, then?
Books say when flowers wilt, but if you’ve removed the flowers ….
There is somewhat conflicting evidence that this makes any difference to yield, doesn't really affect me as I pick earlies for boiling with butter and garlic, 😋😋😋