Gardening

62tucker

Site Supporter
How do people overwinter their strawberries, unfortunately I haven't got a greenhouse or coldframe, normally leave them out but I'm not sure if that does them any good.
They need to be left outside as a frost sort of brings them back to life. Or that’s what I have been taught.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Had a really good crop of marabel spuds this year, they are delicious, happened by accident, the spuds bought from Asda were chucked in the compost bin, then I spread the compost bin over my growing patch to sew a butterfly garden, next thing there were spuds everywhere. Let them grow on, dug up a few as new potatoes, they were superb, I'll be growing them properly next year I think.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Tried to chit a few properly as an experiment about a month or so ago, planted them out and they've come up, I'm surprised how easy they are to grow, hopefully these will be ready before the frosts come 20200825_104305.jpg .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Chilli plants been moved inside, a lot of them already picked and frozen.

2020-08-25 11.19.44.jpg

These tomato plants have provided nice tomatoes all summer as well.

2020-08-25 11.21.12.jpg

My parents bought an automated watering system for them for when we went on holiday but the pipe came loose from the hose, their pride and joy these plants, so I had to water them with a can when I got back before them.

62tucker

Site Supporter
In lockdown I bought 2 bags of compost from Aldi. It wasn’t the best so never used it at the time as Lidl stuff was better. Anyway used it up the other day and found this. How is a shell in a bag of compost?
Ps. Buy cheap buy twice. Only Buying decent stuff from now on. Lessons learnt.

Attachments

• B4D89BAD-C67C-4C87-84F3-A838534D9F8D.jpeg
    B4D89BAD-C67C-4C87-84F3-A838534D9F8D.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3

62tucker

Site Supporter
Canny mild today so carried a few trays of strawberries plants that been well frosted into the greenhouse to see if I can get a few to crop a week or 2 earlier.

davylad

Site Supporter
I had another very mediocre year again with my tomatoes in 2020, after years of success. I spoke to a few experienced gardeners in our area and they were the same, so I'm doing nothing wrong. If it's the same this year, the greenhouse is going and I'll build a brick tackle store in place of it. The peppers have been good though, but we don't eat that many, just give them away.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Chillis you say?

This was Saturday, the biggest 35 have now been potter on. I'll probably do another batch this coming weekend once I dig out the trays and pots tat I need. Then I need to redo the next stage lighting at some point.

1610372214533.png

62tucker

Site Supporter
I had 20 x 30 litres tubs full of spuds. Strawberries going in them this year.
My tomato’s were poor and greenhouse is now shed overflow and pond equipment store. Be only putting 10 toms in this season

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
It was a rough year for tomatoes due to the constantly changing weather, to bloody hot and dry then cold an windy and everything in between.
As for peppers sown this early you must have very good lighting as soon as they come through to stop them becoming leggy.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
As for peppers sown this early you must have very good lighting as soon as they come through to stop them becoming leggy.
They do tend to go leggy, buy repotting them deeper helps. Once they go to the greenhouse come Easter then being leggy is no longer a problem and can actually lead to better plants.

As for lighting I switch to a big CFL bulb shortly which is fine (especially if I can mix in some natural light in the lounge some days).

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Just finishing potting the seedlings on. Chilli grow phase 2 has now started.

I may have overdone things a little this year, still plenty of spares to give away.

Near plants - potted on today, some are a bit droopy due to shock, but will soon perk up. Far plants potted on a week ago, the difference is quite pronounced. Not bad when you consider the seeds were only sown on 20/12, less than a month ago.

1610808759761.png

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Do you 'stop' yours or let them just grow ?
Do you mean pinch out the tops? If so, no I don't.

I mostly grow chinense varieties that need a long season, so start early and aim for maximum growth and I get loads of nodes and pods that way. On a good year my plants can reach 6ft high and 3ft across.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
We've got a shedload of these appeared in our garden this year. please can anyone identify them?
(The spiny things and the flowers are not the same plant)
At the moment the tallest one is about 3ft.
IMG_3581.jpg IMG_3580.jpg