Gardening

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I allow 4 per plant, 1st runners only not runners runners they get cut off before they get more than a couple of inches. Once the runners are rooted and growing strongly remove from mother plant and pot on. I grow 4 due to selling 3 off each plant next year.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I allow 4 per plant, 1st runners only not runners runners they get cut off before they get more than a couple of inches. Once the runners are rooted and growing strongly remove from mother plant and pot on. I grow 4 due to selling 3 off each plant next year.
I seem to be getting a 2nd wave of straws. Must be a different variety or a late plant or a reserve if 1 didn’t look good.
Steve . Is giant a late one as That seems to be late for me or is it because I got plants off eBay as bare roots and have took longer to fruit. ?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I seem to be getting a 2nd wave of straws.
Steve . Is giant a late one as That seems to be late for me or is it because I got plants off eBay as bare roots and have took longer to fruit. ?
This year the weather has been totally stupid,
I've got plants that are way out of kilt. Early ones was a very short season and my giants are now finished and i'm allowing the runners to take. The fruit on my giants was so much smaller than normal even though they were kept well fed and watered, l believe that the early high temperatures caused this.
Some varieties give a second flush of fruits and others will fruit perpetually throughout the year.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ihave two very long stems coming from bottom of my standard rose ,they have no thorns,think they might off the root stock.
Should i leave them or cut them off??

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Remove them as they are runners off the root stock and will not produce the same as the graft .

stikflote

Site Supporter
Is there any Roses without thorns?? the ones on my standard rose are real Evil things would rip a child to bits

they rip me as well ,when i get to close when trimmimg it

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
Hi all, partner moved to a house last year and garden was a mess, overgrown and rhubarb. Last year I cleared the front garden and got it planted and looks quite nice. Noticed the soil was quite poor (clay). I added compost and manure and it looks better now. She has a large bed at the back that I just threw some seeds on (wild flowers). Theyve grown very well with some reaching 6 foot in height. Just chopped them all down and soil is heavily cracked even with the rain we have had. I have some compost but would need a lot more than I have and dont want to spend on bags and bags. I have been reading about chop and drop gardening and wondered if anyone else does this. Basically chop your plants up into small pieces leave on the ground and let nature do its thing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Gardening to my mom is like fishing to me, she lives it. Parents have some Tomatoes that have grown quite well, grape vine out the front, strawberries growing, all of which my niece loves to pick and eat, just dug up some Potatoes too. But also have a Cucumber that didn't grow and shrivelled up, according to my brother you have to pollinate the female with the male in order for them to grow!

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Hi all, partner moved to a house last year and garden was a mess, overgrown and rhubarb. Last year I cleared the front garden and got it planted and looks quite nice. Noticed the soil was quite poor (clay). I added compost and manure and it looks better now. She has a large bed at the back that I just threw some seeds on (wild flowers). Theyve grown very well with some reaching 6 foot in height. Just chopped them all down and soil is heavily cracked even with the rain we have had. I have some compost but would need a lot more than I have and dont want to spend on bags and bags. I have been reading about chop and drop gardening and wondered if anyone else does this. Basically chop your plants up into small pieces leave on the ground and let nature do its thing.
If you can, go out and get some old horse manure and spread it a couple of inches thick over all that ground as a mulch, your ground will love you for it.

Yorkieboy70

Site Supporter
I managed to get about 2 inches of chopped plants, seeds and all. Then about an inch of compost on top of that. Thrown a bit of fish blood and bone over the top and watered. Will see what happens over winter and if the seeds grow next year.

If it seems to work I will do same for about 3 years and then plant bed with what she wants.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I seem to be getting a 2nd wave of straws. Must be a different variety or a late plant or a reserve if 1 didn’t look good.
My strawberries are flowering again.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I been digging up my strawberries runners today and potting into pots. And a couple of new varieties I got last year that been poor are in flower. I cut the flowers off and hopefully all the energy goes into the plant for next year.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I been digging up my strawberries runners today and potting into pots. And a couple of new varieties I got last year that been poor are in flower. I cut the flowers off and hopefully all the energy goes into the plant for next year.
I had a few runners which I trained into pots, and once rooted I cut them from the main plants. It was after this one of the main plants started to flower again. I have also got a couple of dozen bell pepper plants I grew from the seed I took from one we cooked, loads of peppers on them now, all still green at the moment, and only a couple of inches across.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I had a few runners which I trained into pots, and once rooted I cut them from the main plants. It was after this one of the main plants started to flower again. I have also got a couple of dozen bell pepper plants I grew from the seed I took from one we cooked, loads of peppers on them now, all still green at the moment, and only a couple of inches across.
Same as, ran the strawberry runners into new pots, must have near 20 plants now from one original.
Sweet peas after a good start have been blighted with mildew and died off so I got rid, plum tree shows signs of brown rust again for the second year, destroyed all of the fruit and cut back for more air circulation, if that doesn't fix it, it's getting cut down.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
For those of you that are diabetic green peppers are better for you than ripe ones. Just saying like.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Same as, ran the strawberry runners into new pots, must have near 20 plants now from one original.
Sweet peas after a good start have been blighted with mildew and died off so I got rid, plum tree shows signs of brown rust again for the second year, destroyed all of the fruit and cut back for more air circulation, if that doesn't fix it, it's getting cut down.
Spray trees with a protective fungicide if your area is prone to early outbreaks of rust on plum trees. Apply the fungicide three months before harvest, then repeat for the next two months. Apply fungicide directly after harvest if rust on plum trees tends to show up later in the season.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Control Of Plum Rust: How To Treat Rust On Plum Trees StackPath

62tucker

Site Supporter
I am thinking of trying to force a few strawberry plants next season for a earlier crop. Say have 12 plants in greenhouse from January after they have had a good frosting. Question is will I use and 2020 rotted plant or a 1 year old plant. Or a 2 year old plant. Or a couple of each . Anybody done this before?

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
How do people overwinter their strawberries, unfortunately I haven't got a greenhouse or coldframe, normally leave them out but I'm not sure if that does them any good.