Gardening

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Mine are not turning, cut off a load of flowers to try and get the rest to turn.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Giant tomatoes on the right. I have a saying 'when the tomatoes are red, the Barbel are fed'. 😁 (y)

2021-09-04 10.44.52.jpg

62tucker

Site Supporter
Just came across this out back.
Also had to water all my new strawberries rootings taken this year. Rain been forecast all week and still not had any.
And just cut grass out front as still growing like normal.
Cooler next week so best get it cut when warm and dry.
FE091C72-6AD5-44A6-BE76-9709124DF858.jpeg

davylad

Site Supporter
I've had a fantastic year with my toms, I never knew about cutting back on the watering to encourage ripening, but it worked a treat for me. I took the advice, and didn't water to the point where they started wilting, they started ripening in no time. Far better than the banana skin way, as they didn't all come at once.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I might have to give my strawberry’s a water as they are drying out and no rain forecast for another couple of weeks.
These are last years runners in 1 litre pots
1A6D1379-4292-473C-8C8E-7E4134440583.jpeg
DA2462E6-C7C5-485E-86EF-383E9A40CBA1.jpeg

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Anyone got any seeds away yet, in greenhouse or indoors. On windowsill or in propagator, heated or unheated.

I forgot to set my sweet peas away in December so not sure if to late and wait a bit or sow maybe a few pots then more in March.
Need to go to Wilkinson’s to see if new season seeds and gardening stuff in stock yet.
I got at least 100 strawberry plant for this season. 2 in 10 litres pots. At least 50 of them pots. And about 30 new runners growing nicely in 1 litre pots in greenhouse. ( I let them get a a couple of frosts then took them inside)
Going to get rid of goosegog and red currents bushes and done nowt last year. Rather put raspberries in there place. Or might try them in a 30 litre pot.
As for the sweet peas chit week 12 and sow as soon as the root shows. They will give you a good show in spring and early summer.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got some wild lupins( everlasting lupins) from seed I collected from near bamburgh castle in the sand dunes. Grows like a bush.
Sowed a load 3 years ago and only got 3 plants.
Sowed these in October and some just popping up now.
2E2D78DA-D283-4D55-8A99-3CE12E9DDC29.jpeg
70865F67-C955-4F6E-A4CC-5CBFCAE08DF0.jpeg

grumpy44

Site Supporter
new greenhouse next week. large onions planted middle of Dec and in light box. rest of onions and peppers end of Dec. got some tomatoes on go, saw on you tube that if you grow on the side shoots that trusses will be a lot lower down, so will try with a couple of plants.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
We have the same with the Azalea, Camellia and Rhoddies in the garden.
Great displays but a a shame they don't flower all Summer long.

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
The snowdrops have given way to the crocuses and daffs in our borders, most of the shrubs are starting to bud and some of the perennials are already starting to peak through. Hope we don’t get a late frost.
Starting to think about what we are going to try and grow in the green house/veg plot this year.
Love this time of year, wondering which plants are going to thrive (not to mention seeing a few coming up that you forgot you had). It’s the season of promise of things to come.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Vine weevil 🤬
Planting and removing some old strawberries and noticed a few were being eating by the dreaded vine weevil.
Maggot sized creatures that eat the plant underground.
Ordered some bug clear to water in.
Anyone had to deal with vine weevil in the garden and how did you get rid of it ?