Gardening

62tucker

Site Supporter
Anyone got any seeds away yet, in greenhouse or indoors. On windowsill or in propagator, heated or unheated.

I forgot to set my sweet peas away in December so not sure if to late and wait a bit or sow maybe a few pots then more in March.
Need to go to Wilkinson’s to see if new season seeds and gardening stuff in stock yet.
I got at least 100 strawberry plant for this season. 2 in 10 litres pots. At least 50 of them pots. And about 30 new runners growing nicely in 1 litre pots in greenhouse. ( I let them get a a couple of frosts then took them inside)
Going to get rid of goosegog and red currents bushes and done nowt last year. Rather put raspberries in there place. Or might try them in a 30 litre pot.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Nothing started yet. I normally wait until Feb.

I am presently preparing a piece if ground for a fruit cage. Last year the woodpigeons got to the redcurrants before we did. I'll move red & blackcurrants plus gooseberry into the cage once sorted. Mind you, I'm still eating blackcurrant & redcurrant jam that is at least 5 years old. The Boss assures me its OK to eat and I'm still here.

The grandkids love eating the berries straight off the bush.

My main task the last few months has been replacing an old tarmac path and slabbing over an old shed base.

IMG_20191126_141247.jpg

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Chilli seeds were sown just after Christmas (on a much smaller scale than usual). They are in a heated prop under artificial lighting and so far I have about 25 seedlings up.

Tomatoes will be started towards the end of the month - these go on the windowsill though, as they get too leggy otherwise.

PAB

Site Supporter
Sweet peas well up now 5'' or 6'' and toms all starting to show this week.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Way to early for me to do toms yet. Sweet peas are sown in 3 lots. 1st up about 4" and have had their first stop. Side shoots are coming on nice. Do my toms for the greenhouse week eight(end of Feb)

The Runner

Site Supporter
Major project this year is to do something with the area to the back of the house.
This was taken last early spring before I had a bit of a tidy up although the strip of green is still all couch grass which will have to try to get rid of. Any suggestions welcome for that as I know the stuff is a nightmare.
IMG_0636.JPG
The old dear who had the house before me had been in a home for her last 18 months and hadn't been able to keep on top of things for a while before that so all that had happened was her son coming round about once a month to keep things reasonably presentable.
Ripped out a load of bracken and bramble at the top of the slope to find there had once been a rockery under it and found what had once been a gravel border under the couch grass nearest the house.
Land slopes off steeply to a footpath about 40 ft down that runs along just above the little River Leasgeary. Loads of ground ivy and more bracken to get rid of on the slope before intend to step it, plant some shrubs and heathers and also put a gate in my fence next to the path which will cut 100 yards off my walk through the woods to the supermarket..
Never been one of life's more committed gardeners. Wish me luck

Last edited:

The Runner

Site Supporter
Pretty much due West ; quite shaded with all the trees along the river, and thin acid soil as well which cuts down the options a bit

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
I could use a wee bit of advice from you gardeners out there - Last year I bought a small Loganberry plant and planted it out in my garden. It shot straight up on a single stem to about 6 feet tall then stopped growing, never fruited, and has sat there all winter so far, dropping the first 4 feet or so of leaves. I have it supported in a makeshift 'cage' made out of 6' canes.

So my question is: What the heck do I do with it now or come spring?

Ta.

biggsy

Anyone got any seeds away yet, in greenhouse or indoors. On windowsill or in propagator, heated or unheated.

I forgot to set my sweet peas away in December so not sure if to late and wait a bit or sow maybe a few pots then more in March.
Need to go to Wilkinson’s to see if new season seeds and gardening stuff in stock yet.
I got at least 100 strawberry plant for this season. 2 in 10 litres pots. At least 50 of them pots. And about 30 new runners growing nicely in 1 litre pots in greenhouse. ( I let them get a a couple of frosts then took them inside)
Going to get rid of goosegog and red currents bushes and done nowt last year. Rather put raspberries in there place. Or might try them in a 30 litre pot.
Wilko's well stocked with gardening "stuff", some nice looking chilli kits for £4(y)

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I could use a wee bit of advice from you gardeners out there - Last year I bought a small Loganberry plant and planted it out in my garden. It shot straight up on a single stem to about 6 feet tall then stopped growing, never fruited, and has sat there all winter so far, dropping the first 4 feet or so of leaves. I have it supported in a makeshift 'cage' made out of 6' canes.

So my question is: What the heck do I do with it now or come spring?

Ta.
Logan berry is a form of blackberry and l presume you have the Logan berry L654 version that actully grows best on poor soil. Less growth and more fruit.
The less nitrogen it gets the better the flavour of the fruit. So do NOT fertilize.
They fruit on two year old wood which dies off after fruiting then should be removed.
Best way to grow them is on two wires one above the other about a foot apart. The first growth/ cane is trained along one wire the first year , this will fruit the second year.
The second year you will see new growth coming up and this is trained along the second wire to fruit the next year. Remove growth / prune about 4 to 6 inches from the ground after fruiting . Leaving that wire for the next growth and so on.
My tayberries are about 20 ft long.
Make your bottom wire at least 4.5 ft from the floor, the other about a foot higher to allow for the hanging fruit.
So it is a two year cycle. Hence no fruit the first year.
Hope this helps.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Logan berry is a form of blackberry and l presume you have the Logan berry L654 version that actully grows best on poor soil. Less growth and more fruit.
The less nitrogen it gets the better the flavour of the fruit. So do NOT fertilize.
They fruit on two year old wood which dies off after fruiting then should be removed.
Best way to grow them is on two wires one above the other about a foot apart. The first growth/ cane is trained along one wire the first year , this will fruit the second year.
The second year you will see new growth coming up and this is trained along the second wire to fruit the next year. Remove growth / prune about 4 to 6 inches from the ground after fruiting . Leaving that wire for the next growth and so on.
My tayberries are about 20 ft long.
Make your bottom wire at least 4.5 ft from the floor, the other about a foot higher to allow for the hanging fruit.
So it is a two year cycle. Hence no fruit the first year.
Hope this helps.

That helps a lot. Thank you. So my 6ft tall Loganberry should really have gone sideways or at least at an angle rather than straight up. The one I have is definitely more of a stem than a bramble-type runner. But I can train the new growth at an angle and see if the old stick fruits this year anyway. Only time will tell.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
As the new shoots grow you can train it as it is the tip that grows. Beware of bending it to much as the new growth is brittle. I will take a photo of mine tomorrow.
Yours is spineless so looks more like a stem.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Has anybody grow a gooseberry in in containers. I got 2 in 10 litre pots and was think of putting them in a 30 litre tub each. Got 2 in ground and some pest stripped them bare last season so got no fruit off them

rudd

Site Supporter

Dug up all my raspberry bushed last weekend.
Awfull things - p in th a, new plants sprout up everywhere and any frujt birds djdnt get always had ting maggots.
Going to build a raised bed where they were.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Dug up all my raspberry bushed last weekend.
Awfull things - p in th a, new plants sprout up everywhere and any frujt birds djdnt get always had ting maggots.
Going to build a raised bed where they were.
I got a bed of raspberries and have no bother with them at all. Was picking a few till November. Not a lot but just pick and eat when I was out back garden. Would have more if had the room. Autumn bliss.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Has anybody grow a gooseberry in in containers. I got 2 in 10 litre pots and was think of putting them in a 30 litre tub each. Got 2 in ground and some pest stripped them bare last season so got no fruit off them
Plenty of information on youtube