Garden Pond Maintenance ...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's that time of year again when the water is starting to warm up, fish are starting to feed, water starting to get mucky as the fish start disturbing the sediment, and the dreaded green algae starts to build up in the water reminding you that it's time to change the UV tube.

I bought a twin pack of 36w replacement tubes but as it turned out it was not only the tube that needed changing but the ballast had also failed and was no longer available as a 'part'.
So a bit of delving and research and a new stainless tube'd UV steriliser was ordered, they're supposed to be more efficient than the plastic bodied type.
I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived, a right bit of kit and certainly looked the part. The one advantage it had over my faulty one is that the tube and inlet/outlet are larger. I'd found several times that they would start to block up with debris and slow the flow down, often thinking it was the pump that was partially blocked.

Anyway, less than thirty minutes later, the old was out, the new was in, the filter vortex emptied and the pump back on. The lamp's now happily glowing away doing it's thing.
I'll give it a couple of weeks and then get the vac out to clean any sediment and flush the filters out again - onwards and upwards :D

If anyone is interested, I got the 36W version of this...

62tucker

Site Supporter
Watched a few videos on the tube about saving money for pond keepers.
Sure it’s same UV. 43p a day.

It's that time of year again when the water is starting to warm up, fish are starting to feed, water starting to get mucky as the fish start disturbing the sediment, and the dreaded green algae starts to build up in the water reminding you that it's time to change the UV tube.

I bought a twin pack of 36w replacement tubes but as it turned out it was not only the tube that needed changing but the ballast had also failed and was no longer available as a 'part'.
So a bit of delving and research and a new stainless tube'd UV steriliser was ordered, they're supposed to be more efficient than the plastic bodied type.
I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived, a right bit of kit and certainly looked the part. The one advantage it had over my faulty one is that the tube and inlet/outlet are larger. I'd found several times that they would start to block up with debris and slow the flow down, often thinking it was the pump that was partially blocked.

Anyway, less than thirty minutes later, the old was out, the new was in, the filter vortex emptied and the pump back on. The lamp's now happily glowing away doing it's thing.
I'll give it a couple of weeks and then get the vac out to clean any sediment and flush the filters out again - onwards and upwards :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That was the 55W version of this one...

I did look at them but the reviews didn't make good reading re quality

62tucker

Site Supporter
I know my electric bill is twice my gas bill.
But. It’s a hobby

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I changed the bulb in my UV filter on Friday. I’ve got an Oase UV filter which although more expensive than most, is very reliable & just continues to work.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I changed the bulb in my UV filter on Friday. I’ve got an Oase UV filter which although more expensive than most, is very reliable & just continues to work.
Oase make some quality gear. My oase pump hasn’t missed a beat in 5 years.
Seen another one local on Gumtree going cheap so bought it as a spare.
Been in box for 3 years in shed.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
I don't have a filter. Just lots of plants and a good area of deeper water. I hate netting the leaves and muck as I feel guilty and sift through every net putting the critters back in the pond! 😄

Lots of newts and frogs. I love when the froglets leave the pond. I got a net and a little white tray for my nephew to pond dip.....if he can get a turn from me! 😁😇

melvyn

Head Blanker

Would be interested in report on the results. I have just relined our pond. The water became green within a week. Looking to get more effective uv filter.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Still not switched my UV on and water still clear.
I still have my polycarbonate covers on.
Off in day. Back on at night