Garden Pond fish.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Went out today and my fish seemed to be up just above mid water. 4ft deep. Been on bottom most winter or colder months. Been cold last 2 nights with heavy frost. But 14 degrees today. Not sure if 1 warm day will effect the water temperature that much but definitely seemed to be moving about a bit more and higher up. I was a bit scared in case I had problems so done water test and all 6 parameters I test came back spot on.

Zerkalo

Apparently mine were feeding again for the first time in a while after a few warm nights.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Went out today and my fish seemed to be up just above mid water. 4ft deep. Been on bottom most winter or colder months. Been cold last 2 nights with heavy frost. But 14 degrees today. Not sure if 1 warm day will effect the water temperature that much but definitely seemed to be moving about a bit more and higher up. I was a bit scared in case I had problems so done water test and all 6 parameters I test came back spot on.
Its found the warmest layer most probably

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I wish I still had a garden pond. Used to love watching the Rudd, orfe and ghosties in the one in my childhood home. Been nudging my parents to get another one as they have plenty of room for one in their place these days.

62tucker

Site Supporter
My pond goldfish never stop feeding. And probably because of the waterfall inhabit all levels.
My waterfall and filter and air is on 24/7. So I think water temperature be even all over pond. No heat layers. I do feed sparsely in cold weather. As got 4 roach 4 tench and couple of carp and a sterlet so I guess they feed all year around. Crushed up sinking wheat germ pellets. Jaws ( 1 fined mirror ) always 1st there and can mop up most food if others don’t want it. I can alway see where feed goes and I check it’s all gone by night time or next morning. Never over feed them

62tucker

Site Supporter
My son bought 10 koi off eBay in October 2018. All 10 about a inch to inch and a half. We kept them in big tub in greenhouse for there 1st winter ?‍♂️ Put the 10 in my old small pond last spring and you want to see them now. 1 is about 2 inches. Other go up to 4/5 inches. All different all look class. Some 1 colour. Some multi coloured. I bet the biggest 1 would cost more than he paid for the 10. Unfortunately 1 died in the summer. No reason. It was just floating one day.
We took photos of each one in a bowl with a rule in when we got them so we got the dat and can identify them. For when and if they get a name ?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Despite the colours of my fish they are all goldfish. Most are the offspring of two fish that had outgrown their tank and were given to me. One was white, the other gold. Both had long tails. The resulting babies are white, gold and a mixture like Koi. Most have inherited the long tail and one has a three finned tail.

I did have ghost and an albino grass carp plus blue orfe. A combination of cat and pump failure in high summer while on holiday did for them. So I'm sticking with the goldfish for now. Tough little blighters.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's the problem with Koi, unless you are dedicated and have the right set up, they just have a habit of dieing for no apparent reason

62tucker

Site Supporter
That's the problem with Koi, unless you are dedicated and have the right set up, they just have a habit of dieing for no apparent reason
Dedicated koi keepers don’t keep koi. They keep water. As that’s the main time consuming and money consuming aspect of it
I have koi carp tench roach/Rudd goldfish oarf sterlet
I got giving jaws ( mirror carp) about 10 years ago maybe longer and was a few years old then. And his mate. Shadow as he always swims at his side. I have a arnie and a Danny. Twins. 2 carp I got at same time and same size. 2 years later 1 was twice the size, Arnie. Than Danny. Tough wood I never lost a fish last year in my new pond. 2nd year pond. And son lost 1 of his new koi.

JohnLondon

Site Supporter
Mine have been in the top half most of the winter. It’s been so mild in the South East that I’m still feeding them most days. I’ve got a combination of Koi, ghost carp, mirror carp & goldfish

62tucker

Site Supporter
Mine have been in the top half most of the winter. It’s been so mild in the South East that I’m still feeding them most days. I’ve got a combination of Koi, ghost carp, mirror carp & goldfish
Not seen any ice on mine at all this winter

Chervil

Site Supporter
I've only got a small raised pond, with 9 Shubunkins. It hasn't actually dropped below freezing here all winter, so far. So they are still happily swimming around. They have been down to one feed a week, but as it's so mild at the moment, they are on two small ones.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
My waterfall and filter and air is on 24/7. So I think water temperature be even all over pond. No heat layers. I do feed sparsely in cold weather. As got 4 roach 4 tench and couple of carp and a sterlet so I guess they feed all year around. Crushed up sinking wheat germ pellets. Jaws ( 1 fined mirror ) always 1st there and can mop up most food if others don’t want it. I can alway see where feed goes and I check it’s all gone by night time or next morning. Never over feed them
Alba s you covered your pond. It’ll help keep the temps steady and away from big swings in temps.
I’d turn the water fall off if not. The water falling through cold air at night can drag the temps right down. Think about it, the water is falling through freezing air and then into the pond. You can find your pond water being a few dec lower than it would be without water fall on

Sportsman

Site Supporter
With all the care that the water gets for Koi, have you ever seen the dirty old muddy ponds that they grow them in?
I was watching a YouTube video on buying Koi in Japan and it was a real eye opener.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Alba s you covered your pond. It’ll help keep the temps steady and away from big swings in temps.
I’d turn the water fall off if not. The water falling through cold air at night can drag the temps right down. Think about it, the water is falling through freezing air and then into the pond. You can find your pond water being a few dec lower than it would be without water fall on
Got majority covered apart from where waterfall goes in. I have to think about what you have said and have a different plan for next winter